Why become a member? ×

Not getting the part at an audition.

Highfox

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478349827' post='3168531']
Not a very close tribute band then.... try the originals :lol:
[/quote]

:)
I have got it out of my system now :) Had a great and fun gig with my "normal" band last night. Great guys and relaxed to be around.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478349827' post='3168531']
Not a very close tribute band then.... try the originals :lol:
[/quote]

To be honest, I said sort of tribute band as the guitarist (who was also vocalist) was a kind of AC/DC stalker. He kept writing, and sending (to AC/DC) songs about all the members. Actually had a link on their website at one point. Although I did audition for it and would've liked to have got it, it was all a bit weird in a restraining order kind of way. They did send him a signed album but after that, I think he thought they were actually mates :blink: and wouldn't leave them alone.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1478342204' post='3168486']
This is it.

Forget all this angst about gear and the sound in your head. . . . . learn to sing and you'll be much more use to a band.
[/quote]

Main problem I have is the old "pat your head and rub your tummy" thing where b/v's are concerned. Very much agree that having b/v's is more of of an asset than a hindrance, but also agree with one of the previous posters that the quality of your b/v's has to be pretty spot on as well. Anything "half assed" won't really do..... :(

Similar to any job interview in many ways. I've never auditioned ("my band" took me on with open arms as soon as they knew I owned a bass, that's how bad we are :) ) but I've twice lost out on jobs I really wanted. Both times I was given clear and honest answers which I respected, and both times I got a better job soon after.

Thinking about it, there have been some others, but I had decided I didn't want them before they decided they didn't want me. No point getting the chance to work / play with people you wouldn't enjoy working / playing with.

I don't generally audition for bands, I get offered gigs through word of mouth, and by people that I know etc. Thinking back to when I did though, I would say that if you do audition, and don't get the gig. Maybe contact them and ask for feedback as to why you didn't.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1478347158' post='3168519']
I auditioned for a sort of AC/DC tribute a while back. Some original stuff in there too but all in the style. Played well but didn't get it due to them looking for someone with a "little more energy and presence" which I translated as "too old" :lol:

Fair enough, I've no problem with that. It was their band, not mine. I would've looked like their granddad on stage anyway.

Unless you're told that you're not good enough, no point in dwelling on anything like that.
[/quote]

I think it's a good idea to have an intelligent conversation before any audition for an established working band and find out;

1. What are you really looking for

2. What happened with the last bass player

That's just 2 questions there are many more you might want to ask.

I always ask the age of band members because I take a hard stance on age. I'm not auditioning if the mean age of the members is half my age. Just plain out and out not going to entertain the idea.

For you guys over 60 like me, if it's a young band and they tell you age doesn't matter. It does, maybe not immediately, but at some point you'll realize your not a match because of your age with few to no exceptions.

Blue

Edited by blue

I've never ever had an audition as I play with my lifelong mate. It's good in a way, but can be a bind as it's hard to leave and play with someone else. I don't know how I would handle an audition, as even when I pick up a guitar in a shop, my mind goes blank!

I've only failed one that i can remember for a gaelic folk band that i wasn't really sure suited me. There were 3-4 bassists auditioning for it.
When i arrived and was setting up the females in the band were discussing openly in front of me how the guy before me was ideal for the band.
Kind of deflates you a bit but i carried on regardless. Got on well with the songs but as expected didn't get it. The guy before me got the gig.
A year later the band had the audacity to tell me he had left and would i be interested in auditioning again.
I said no and told them my reasons from previous audition and that i did not appreciate them discussing how well suited the previous bassist was for the band while i was standing there. Discourtious and disrespectful and i wouldn't work with people who had that attitude.

I've had loads of auditions since restarting bands at age 50 after 25yrs lapse. They vary from hard rock to Glam, tribute, Blues, Prog and currently doing a Funk Blues band with guys who are older than me but are so relaxed its just great fun and no added pressure from ego maniacs. That and the fact the bass lines are brilliant.

I don't do backing vocals either and its never been an issue for most bands but that would depend on type of band i guess.

Dave

Many years ago I auditioned for a local cover band. They didn't give it to me. They said there was nothing to choose between me and the other bassist so it came down to who lived closest and would have the shortest travelling.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1478437745' post='3169015']
Many years ago I auditioned for a local cover band. They didn't give it to me. They said there was nothing to choose between me and the other bassist so it came down to who lived closest and would have the shortest travelling.
[/quote]

I got that line of BS from a band once.If I'm not what your looking for, that's fine and I don't have a problem with it.However, I should decide if the travel is too much.

And again, in the end I found they really didn't gig that much and disbanded.

Guys, never forget good bands and good, honest, stable trustworthy people to play with are far and few in between.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1478618804' post='3170339']
A long time ago I went down the Melody Maker ads route , ended up in bands where there was no friendship and soon baled out. If I'm not playing with mates or at least good acquaintances whom I can have a beer with I'd rather not be in band at all.
[/quote]

That won't always be the case. When I was a young guy,yeah I played with guys I grew up with , friends and it was great.

Now,50 years later, for me this is a fun business and I love it.

If you pick the right band friendship is not really necessary for me.

As long as I'm playing with good, honest, stable, responsible, focused trustworthy people that understand the band business and know how to have fun, I'm good.

Blue

Failed an audition recently but wasn't fussed as I didn't care much for the guitarist. I learnt my songs pre audition and then the guitarist wanted to throw several extra tunes in that he knew well and I ended up looking a right dick trying to find my way!

I had a great audition a couple of weeks ago, played my socks off and had a fantastic couple of hours - the band folded a couple of days later due to the drummer quitting (at least that is what I was told) ;-)

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1478722262' post='3171248']
Failed an audition recently but wasn't fussed as I didn't care much for the guitarist. I learnt my songs pre audition and then the guitarist wanted to throw several extra tunes in that he knew well and I ended up looking a right dick trying to find my way!

I had a great audition a couple of weeks ago, played my socks off and had a fantastic couple of hours - the band folded a couple of days later due to the drummer quitting (at least that is what I was told) ;-)
[/quote]

Interesting, for those auditioning beware. Some bands are auditioning as a last ditch attempt to save a band that's falling apart.

These are usually not good opportunities.

Blue

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1478722262' post='3171248']
I learnt my songs pre audition and then the guitarist wanted to throw several extra tunes in that he knew well and I ended up looking a right dick trying to find my way!
[/quote]

Maybe he liked what you were doing and wanted to see how you'd cope with thinking on your feet? If someone suggested this to me I'd say OK, but as I don't know the number you get what you get. This had better not be losing me points in the audition!

When I used to interview people I'd ask questions that were designed to put them on the back foot. You need people who can remain in control when you deviate from the script.

On the other hand you could be right, the guitarist was just a giant dick!

Never been the auditionee so never had to live with this shame of failure :gas: but I have been the auditioner a few times. usually looking for singers, but not always.

So from the other perspective, there's no one right answer to why you didn't get the job. There can be a load of things in play (and I think this works both ways - you'd be less than impressed if the band did the same thing to you):[list=1]
[*]Can you actually play to the standard required? Singers are a very good example - in this X-Factor world the amount of people who quite simply cannot sing that will answer an ad and come to a try out is astounding. And I'm not talking about people who are OK but not the right style for you, I mean people who genuinely cannot sing, have never sung through a PA in front of a live band, but have been told by all their mates that they were great at karaoke and walk out thinking that they've done a really good job and are completely happy with what they've done, no matter how many times you prompt them to give it another go to see if they're better the seventh time;
[*]Did you actually demonstrate that you can play to that level?
[*]Are you playing the style they want? You may be excellent but they want something different.
[*]All the intangibles - did you show up on time having learned the stuff they sent you or did you walk in an hour late complaining of a hangover and saying that you haven't had time to learn the demo they sent you three weeks ago and anyway you don't like to learn stuff too rigidly and how about you jam it a few times and smoke some gear to see if that loosens you up a bit; does this band of cool young things with interesting hair want the chubby middle aged bloke with a bald patch; do you have a weird cum face when you're playing; sometimes you just won't fit in with them as well as somebody else, or they just might not like you; can you commit to the rehearsals they want and to be available for gigs or have you told them that you'll only do every third Sunday as long as Arsenal don't have a home game, etc
[*]And most important of all - did somebody who was better than you on the day try out?
[/list]
I once auditioned bass players for a punk covers band that I was playing guitar in and we have two contestants, both mates of different people in the band. Contestant #1 played bass in other bands (that we had gigged with) to a very decent standard, certainly above the level required, was a great bloke and well liked by everybody. Contestant number 2 was a mate of mine who played guitar to a very average standard but loved our band and thought that playing the bass would be a much easier option for him to get into a band. #1 showed up late, hadn't learned the songs properly but knew he could get by for the audition and wasn't sure how committed he could be so he'd have to go away and check his diary with his other bands and family, etc and maybe we'd need to change rehearsal days. #2 had clearly spent every available second of the previous few weeks learning the set, was just about good enough for the job, and was exceptionally keen. #1 was obviously a better bass player, but #2 got the job. And it turns out it was the wrong decision because he never got any better and we sacked him (nicely of course, he was a mate) a while later.

Also keep in mind that there may be three or four people who's opinions don't match. My last band once spent a lively evening in the pub with half of us arguing for the singer who clearly had a great voice but hadn't learnt the songs, live miles out of town and spent the entire audition dicking around with the new FX box that he had just got and wanted to try out; and the other half arguing for the singer who's voice was poor to average at best but looked great, had loads of contacts and was available whenever we wanted to rehearse or gig. In the end we all won and nobody got the job. But imagine if they had both been exceptionally good singers in all departments - sometimes you have to let down somebody for no good reason.

So, sometimes it's you, sometimes it's them, and there's no point losing any sleep. But we almost always give the "it's not you it's us" excuse when letting them down gently - they're not in the right style or they were great and we'd have loved to have you but someone else came in who was even better, etc. We've very rarely had anybody then come back and ask for more detail, and it's difficult to be honest if they just weren't up to it and haven't realised for themselves, but we do always offer to share the recordings that we usually made of the auditions (typically you don't hear them as well at the time when you're also concentrating on playing as you do listening back to them afterwards). If you do want to pick away at it then it may be worth going back and asking them for some honest feedback, with a promise that you won't get offended at anything they say.