Why become a member? ×

I Love You Beatles, Oh Yes I Do!!!

thebrig

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1478210631' post='3167652']
I'm just going to pop outside and check my lawn for groundhogs.
[/quote] :lol:, but you don't have to read the too many Beatles threads, when I find threads tiresome I just unsubscribe, if nobody contributed there wouldn't be any.

As I've said before I really do think that you had to be there to really appreciate what a change the Beatles made. I wasn't since I didn't discover popular music until 1971 by which time they were over a year gone, and to an 11 year old discovering glam rock, pretty much irrelevant.

Also, based on my musical tastes, I suspect that had I been born 10 years earlier, I would have most likely been a Stones fan...

Never mind the Beatles... what about Nirvana? In the sea of Bubblegum pop that was emerging at the time, Nirvana came through and saved us.

I hate Nirvana. But I do appreciate them opening the doorfor subsequent bands at a time where everything was turning to sh1t.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1478254644' post='3167855']
Never mind the Beatles... what about Nirvana? In the sea of Bubblegum pop that was emerging at the time, Nirvana came through and saved us.

I hate Nirvana. But I do appreciate them opening the doorfor subsequent bands at a time where everything was turning to sh1t.
[/quote]we're in desperate need of a Nirvana right now

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1478255113' post='3167872']
we're in desperate need of a Nirvana right now
[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1478255160' post='3167873']
I couldn't agree more... it's definitely time to get out the sweeping brush.
[/quote]

I would say that we need something more like Punk rather than Nirvana.

By the time that Nirvana became popular the music scene was already far too fractured for them to have very much influence outside of the rock genre. It was still perfectly possible to be making new and popular music without it having anything to do with Nirvana and "grunge". For someone like myself, listening to and creating mostly dance music influence by the various variations on House Music, Nirvana were barely a blip on my radar.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478256359' post='3167887']
By the time that Nirvana became popular the music scene was already far too fractured for them to have very much influence outside of the rock genre.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're right. With circa 75m record sales (and remember their career was shorter than most) they were merely a blip on everybody's radar and didn't change or influence anything outside the rock genre. They didn't get kids buying guitars again and setting up bands in their garages or anything. Just google "most influential musicians" and try and find a list where Nirvana or Cobain aren't mentioned.

Nirvana and Cobain are still cult now... with kids who weren't even around at the time, wearing hoodies and tees with the Nirvana logo or band imagery on them... and the entire back catalogue downloaded on their phones. The key reason they are important in musical history is because they were doing something that was completely different to what everybody else was doing at the time and ultimately enabled the pop factories to be overthrown (with music that they wrote themselves instead of the norm where other songwriters were getting their songs assigned to whatever artist was flavour of the month to record...) Which other band in this thread does that remind you of?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478256359' post='3167887']
I would say that we need something more like Punk rather than Nirvana.

By the time that Nirvana became popular the music scene was already far too fractured for them to have very much influence outside of the rock genre. It was still perfectly possible to be making new and popular music without it having anything to do with Nirvana and "grunge". For someone like myself, listening to and creating mostly dance music influence by the various variations on House Music, Nirvana were barely a blip on my radar.
[/quote]
given the state if the political landscape these days a punk revolution would be handy

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1478214188' post='3167693']
And Elvis is Elvis, Clapton is Clapton.

The fact they shaped modern music doesn't mean everyone has to like them.
[/quote]

No, and there are plenty of people that don't. However, all accomplished successful musicians I know, that are not necessarily fans still put them at the top of the heap because they shaped modern music.

Blue

The more I think about UK punk, the more I think it was a very short-lived blip which cheesily nicked some elements from US musical culture, gave birth to a couple of useful bands but ultimately led nowhere.

Consider the facts: UK punk ripped off the Dolls and the Ramones, spawned a hundred cheap copy-cats, descended into a mire of Mohawks, expired three years after it arrived and left the 80's wide open to the New Romantics, Phil Collins and Dire Straits.

By contrast US punk is in good health having long ago godfathered the DIY alt- and indie movements which - in turn - have wormed their way into virtually every other musical sub-genre.

Over the pond the Punk / Alt / Indie ethic still enjoys currency among the local yoof. Back here in the UK the only people who still talk about punk are (mostly) sporting colostomy bags and about to take delivery of their bus passes.

It's like my late Dad and his Glenn Miller fixation. Only worse.
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478286858' post='3168246']
all accomplished successful musicians I know, that are not necessarily fans still put them at the top of the heap because they shaped modern music.
[/quote]
that is exactly my point.
i totally appreciate what the beatles did for music, and i do listen to them from time to time, and do own beatles records.
i don't however say a prayer to mccartney when i put a bass on, or have a shrine to them in my front room. I can accept the way they have shaped music without being into them.

you don't have to like them to appreciate what they did, if we all liked them it would be boring as sh*t

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1478305694' post='3168392']
I love some Beatles tunes, really don't like some at all.

My mum saw them play a couple of times.

Um....there, that's about it. I don't mind if people like them or not, it's no skin off my nose.

George was the coolest, btw.
[/quote]

There's no bigger Beatles fan than me and I don't like all of their songs. And I rarely listen to their records.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1478412405' post='3168869']
The great thing about forums is the new things you learn , The Beatles ? Never heard of them I'll check them out.
Out
[/quote]

Have a quick look on you tube - I'm sure you'll find something there. BTW, be careful with your spelling. I once typed in The Rutles by mistake - didn't seem to matter - appears to be the same band.