Why become a member? ×

A letter to a headliner - it's London gigging, all right...

Cantdosleepy

"Hey guys,

Good gig last night - enjoyed your songs.

First of all, thanks for phoning ahead to say that you were going to be late and wouldn't be able to supply the drumkit. Soundcheck was a bit of a shambles (when isn't it?) but the house luckily had a kit so everything worked out, a little behind time but that's how these things tend to go.

I'm afraid I am going to take umbrage at your behaviour once you arrived, though. You arrived late, didn't listen to any of the support bands (not even having the courtesy to stand at the back of the pit at a fairly sparsely populated night) and just tucked yourselves around the corner, not making the *tiniest* effort to say hi to anyone all evening.

We're all out there for the same reasons - to have a good time and make some music - and it takes the smallest of gestures, nothing really more than a handshake, a 'really enjoyed your set', a 'nice one champ' or any tiny recognition that some people other than yourselves might exist - to create the kind of goodwill that transforms the whole evening from a just-another-gig to something a bit more human and enjoyable.

At a regular evening, totally blanking the other bands would be a bit rude. At a gig where you promise to provide a drumkit and don't, then arrive late, not making an effort to apologise is unarguably Primo Douchebag behaviour. A fifteen second "Sorry we couldn't bring the kit and for being late" comment from you guys to any member of any of the supporting bands performing this evening would have immediately elicited the usual response of "Don't worry about it mate, it's all worked out" or similar. That is all it takes. It's not any kind of rocket science.

Not making the smallest bit of effort to chat with the people below you is c**tish, frankly. You were bottom of the bill once, and saw other bands swan in late after disrupting the evening having not even made eye contact with anyone else playing, and hopefully thought, 'Man, that's not really how respectful grownups should act'.

I liked your music. If you had come over and said 'hi' you would have had a new fan. Same thing goes for the other three people in my band who thought you guys were good, the four people in one of the other bands, and the two dozen people who came to see the both of us. Notice how the pit was almost empty when you were playing? Moreso than it had been all evening? That's because you had weaponised the whole pub against you before you stepped onstage.

Your music is great. Seriously. Really like the tunes on the Myspace. But I will not ever buy any of it, and will tell anyone who mentions you that you are massive assholes. Every time you act this way you are building a street team of people who badmouth you. Even if you have no interest in participating in friendly line-ups, you have to at least see that this is poor business sense.

Here's hoping that you display a degree of courtesy towards other people at your next gig.

Regards,
XXX XXXXXXXXXX"

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='303469' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:37 AM']"Hey guys,

Good gig last night - enjoyed your songs.

First of all, thanks for phoning ahead to say that you were going to be late and wouldn't be able to supply the drumkit. Soundcheck was a bit of a shambles (when isn't it?) but the house luckily had a kit so everything worked out, a little behind time but that's how these things tend to go.

I'm afraid I am going to take umbrage at your behaviour once you arrived, though. You arrived late, didn't listen to any of the support bands (not even having the courtesy to stand at the back of the pit at a fairly sparsely populated night) and just tucked yourselves around the corner, not making the *tiniest* effort to say hi to anyone all evening.

We're all out there for the same reasons - to have a good time and make some music - and it takes the smallest of gestures, nothing really more than a handshake, a 'really enjoyed your set', a 'nice one champ' or any tiny recognition that some people other than yourselves might exist - to create the kind of goodwill that transforms the whole evening from a just-another-gig to something a bit more human and enjoyable.

At a regular evening, totally blanking the other bands would be a bit rude. At a gig where you promise to provide a drumkit and don't, then arrive late, not making an effort to apologise is unarguably Primo Douchebag behaviour. A fifteen second "Sorry we couldn't bring the kit and for being late" comment from you guys to any member of any of the supporting bands performing this evening would have immediately elicited the usual response of "Don't worry about it mate, it's all worked out" or similar. That is all it takes. It's not any kind of rocket science.

Not making the smallest bit of effort to chat with the people below you is c**tish, frankly. You were bottom of the bill once, and saw other bands swan in late after disrupting the evening having not even made eye contact with anyone else playing, and hopefully thought, 'Man, that's not really how respectful grownups should act'.

I liked your music. If you had come over and said 'hi' you would have had a new fan. Same thing goes for the other three people in my band who thought you guys were good, the four people in one of the other bands, and the two dozen people who came to see the both of us. Notice how the pit was almost empty when you were playing? Moreso than it had been all evening? That's because you had weaponised the whole pub against you before you stepped onstage.

Your music is great. Seriously. Really like the tunes on the Myspace. But I will not ever buy any of it, and will tell anyone who mentions you that you are massive assholes. Every time you act this way you are building a street team of people who badmouth you. Even if you have no interest in participating in friendly line-ups, you have to at least see that this is poor business sense.

Here's hoping that you display a degree of courtesy towards other people at your next gig.

Regards,
XXX XXXXXXXXXX"[/quote]

At least he has a sense of humour. How do I know it's a "he"? Girls don't use the "C" word.

I'm chuffed that c**tish passes the languae filter.

I would have been tempted to include words to the effect of 'maybe when you can actually pull a decent crowd to a gig you'll be in a position to act like rock stars, but given the sparse turnout, your band is as much in need of help as us lowly openers'.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='303512' date='Oct 10 2008, 07:08 AM']I'm chuffed that c**tish passes the languae filter.[/quote]
So did languae !

Seriously though, it's sadly familiar. We used to organise and run a small festival out in the sticks (not Glastonbury but 5000 punters so not too shabby) and we would carry gear from the vehicles, help set up, had guys side stage ready with spare strings and leads, carry all kit on and off stage - we loved doing it and everyone appreciated it. Then one year this guy who was nothing special announced that the band name had just changed (as he's about to go on) to the Andy West Band (yep - his name) and he then proceeded to wander on stage and stand there waiting for someone to pass him his guitar. Then waited for it to be plugged in. He's in a field in Midsomer Norton for f***s sake!!
Our chosen hobby/profession attracts people of a fragile ego.

I have to admit that the thing I hate most about gigging is the people who don't realise we're all in it together - people who won't kitshare, don't talk to other bands, run over so we all end up late and the crowd have to go and get the last tube before the headliners play, don't watch each others' sets etc.

I realise that playing originals can attract egomaniacs, but don't get the major label attitude till you get the major label deal.

When I promote a night we do everything we can to promote camaraderie, but we've stilll had a few bands who are happy to not bother telling their mates the gig is on, turn up, use other people's gear, not watch any other sets and dick everyone about. Drives me nuts, and makes me want to not pay them.

[quote name='stewblack' post='303537' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:20 AM']So did languae !

Seriously though, it's sadly familiar. We used to organise and run a small festival out in the sticks (not Glastonbury but 5000 punters so not too shabby) and we would carry gear from the vehicles, help set up, had guys side stage ready with spare strings and leads, carry all kit on and off stage - we loved doing it and everyone appreciated it. Then one year this guy who was nothing special announced that the band name had just changed (as he's about to go on) to the Andy West Band (yep - his name) and he then proceeded to wander on stage and stand there waiting for someone to pass him his guitar. Then waited for it to be plugged in. He's in a field in Midsomer Norton for f***s sake!!
Our chosen hobby/profession attracts people of a fragile ego.[/quote]

well, on average bands do seem to consist of somewhere between 75-80% fragile, egotistical morons, and 20-25% the bassist (depending on your lineup) so it's not suprising when you have to deal with cabrones like that!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='303545' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:28 AM']well, on average bands do seem to consist of somewhere between 75-80% fragile, egotistical morons, and 20-25% the bassist (depending on your lineup) so it's not suprising when you have to deal with cabrones like that![/quote]
33%. Like it should be. Bass, drums, beardy-wierdy bloke with Rhodes / Hammond and a worse back than mine.

Edited by johnnylager

i don't know who this band were but they sound just like "9 below zero".
we've supported them 3 times so far & every time this is exactly what they're like.
in fact the first time we supported them was at fibbers in york & when we arrived at the venue Dennis asked the landlord/owner who we were as follows.
"who's that"
"your support band"
"well tell them to f*** off,we don't want them"

nice eh ?

on that subject again at fibbers John Amor made a big effort not to even look at us all night-what a twat.
Wilco Johnson is the complete opposite,freindly,chatty & Norman even took an interest in my bass rig-thats how it should be.

so go on name & shame them.

I completely agree with the point about taking the time to say hi and introduce yourself to the other bands. That's just common courtesy. Particularly if you're sharing gear, it's pretty much mandatory to discuss with your conterparts in the other bands who's going to use what and anything specific they should know about the amp/kit that is being shared. Though I don't take exception if bands don't come bounding up to me all chatty, because ultimately, people can be shy and nervous, particularly in a gig environment. There's a difference between not making an effort because you're shy and just being aloof. I certainly have no problem with the former.

With regards to other bands watching each other, I don't see an issue if headline bands don't watch support bands and vice versa. Having been in both situations, I can empathise with either. More often than not I'll try and spend a bit of time watching a headliner or support, depending on what position I'm on on the bill, but if I'm supporting, far from home and have to work the next day, I'm going to try and skip off as early as possible, so that I'm not slumped asleep on my desk the next day. That may seem selfish, but it's a necessity - if I lose my job, I've no money to fund my musical pursuits.

Similarly, I'll try and check out some of the support bands when I'm headlining, but more often than not and particularly when it's a week night gig, there'll be limited time to have something to eat, warm up and get prepared for the gig. If getting all that done means I have to miss one of the support bands, then unfortunately, that's going to happen. I don't think it's arrogant to try and play the best gig you can - ultimately, that's what I'm focused on when I play live. It's not that I think I'm better than the other bands, it's simply that I take playing live very seriously and want to always do the best I can.

When I first started out the band I was in supported a band who were "about to get signed". The pub we gigged in used to pay £100 a night split 70/30 main act/support but the other band decided they wanted it all so a couple of us had to persuade them otherwise. When we were playing they went and sat in their van, I think they recorded a tape which they sold at giggs but never got signed.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='303593' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:30 AM']I completely agree with the point about taking the time to say hi and introduce yourself to the other bands. That's just common courtesy. Particularly if you're sharing gear, it's pretty much mandatory to discuss with your conterparts in the other bands who's going to use what and anything specific they should know about the amp/kit that is being shared. Though I don't take exception if bands don't come bounding up to me all chatty, because ultimately, people can be shy and nervous, particularly in a gig environment. There's a difference between not making an effort because you're shy and just being aloof. I certainly have no problem with the former.

With regards to other bands watching each other, I don't see an issue if headline bands don't watch support bands and vice versa. Having been in both situations, I can empathise with either. More often than not I'll try and spend a bit of time watching a headliner or support, depending on what position I'm on on the bill, but if I'm supporting, far from home and have to work the next day, I'm going to try and skip off as early as possible, so that I'm not slumped asleep on my desk the next day. That may seem selfish, but it's a necessity - if I lose my job, I've no money to fund my musical pursuits.

Similarly, I'll try and check out some of the support bands when I'm headlining, but more often than not and particularly when it's a week night gig, there'll be limited time to have something to eat, warm up and get prepared for the gig. If getting all that done means I have to miss one of the support bands, then unfortunately, that's going to happen. I don't think it's arrogant to try and play the best gig you can - ultimately, that's what I'm focused on when I play live. It's not that I think I'm better than the other bands, it's simply that I take playing live very seriously and want to always do the best I can.[/quote]

+1 to all of that.

When we headline places we're usually a bit preoccupied but we still usually try to at least make conversation with the other bands and catch parts of their sets. We're always on time, never run over, never ask to borrow anyone else's equipment and always bring the biggest crowd.

My attitude is that most musicians are w***ers and so whenever they do anything helpful or professional, I'm genuinely grateful.

The thing that would piss me off is them not bringing the drumkit when they said they would - and I'd let them know there and then. Them keeping to themselves doesn't affect your set so just ignore it.

my old band we always made a point of doing a few things if we were supporting someone
1) Watch their soundcheck
2) Play brilliantly, doing our best to be better than the headliners
3) Be right at the front dancing like the loons we were for the headliners. (apart from Kate Nash who stole our crate of beer)
Its all about enjoyment and supporting each other isnt it?

A couple of years ago we played a music fest on the same bill as, ahem, a well-known Eurovision-winning guy-girl quartet who are not called Buck's Fizz. The girls were really nice, chatty, friendly, watched some of our set and complimented us afterwards. The blokes however were a different kettle of fish... didn't say a word to us all night, appeared to go out of their way to avoid even looking in our general direction. Miserable pair of feckers. So far up themselves, they must need torches.
And having heard their soundcheck, I know just how much is on their backing tape... let's just say it's an [i]awful[/i] lot more than just a drum track... :)

[quote name='dangerboy' post='303541' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:25 AM']I have to admit that the thing I hate most about gigging is the people who don't realise we're all in it together - people who won't kitshare, don't talk to other bands, run over so we all end up late and the crowd have to go and get the last tube before the headliners play, don't watch each others' sets etc.[/quote]

I always try to talk to the other bands... the gigs I enjoy most are the ones when the bands are both good and very friendly. It makes the whole experience much more pleasant.

Also, I make a point of when I can to stay and watch the band's soundchecks and shows. I think it is a great opportunity to see live music FOR FREE! Found a few gems that way.

A couple of points:

1. It's quite possible that the headliner hasn't got a clue who you are. Back stage areas are often awash with people: Sound tech's, lighting tech's, stage crew, liggers and family and friends. Unless you have a great big sign above your head saying, "I'm in the support band". How the hell are they supposed to know? :huh:

2. Just because headline acts often play to thousands, doesn't make them any less shy about approaching total strangers.

3. Maybe a headline act is unable to watch the support band - perhaps they have to eat - perhaps they like a bit of peace and quiet before their show - or maybe they're just knackered and need to lay down somewhere.

4. How many of you bemoaning the "arrogant" "Up themselves" headliners have actually done the approaching and said "Hi, I'm ?????, I'm in the support band. Looking forward to your set" or similar?..yeah, thought not. :)

Of course you get the odd a***hole who just doesn't want to be friendly, that's life, but if [u]you[/u] say "Hi" to someone, there's more than a good chance that they'll say "Hi" back. :huh:

Steve

[quote name='SteveK' post='303922' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:56 PM']A couple of points:

1. It's quite possible that the headliner hasn't got a clue who you are. Back stage areas are often awash with people: Sound tech's, lighting tech's, stage crew, liggers and family and friends. Unless you have a great big sign above your head saying, "I'm in the support band". How the hell are they supposed to know? :huh:

Of course you get the odd a***hole who just doesn't want to be friendly, that's life, but if [u]you[/u] say "Hi" to someone, there's more than a good chance that they'll say "Hi" back. :)

Steve[/quote]

I wish we had back stage areas with crew that would be awesome.

I always say hi and try to have a laugh with other bands usually with good consequences