Why become a member? ×

A letter to a headliner - it's London gigging, all right...

Cantdosleepy

[quote name='Rich' post='303799' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:09 PM']A couple of years ago we played a music fest on the same bill as, ahem, a well-known Eurovision-winning guy-girl quartet who are not called Buck's Fizz. The girls were really nice, chatty, friendly, watched some of our set and complimented us afterwards. The blokes however were a different kettle of fish... didn't say a word to us all night, appeared to go out of their way to avoid even looking in our general direction. Miserable pair of feckers. So far up themselves, they must need torches.
And having heard their soundcheck, I know just how much is on their backing tape... let's just say it's an [i]awful[/i] lot more than just a drum track... :)[/quote]

ABBA?

The Rocket-Science of being a polite band:

1) Good contact beforehand (who's going to bring the backline, terms of payment, backstage area if you are big enough)
2) Good contact whilst being there (hey wzp, we're here... everything okay? who's stagemanager, who's soundtech if you're not bringing your own)
3) Good contact after being there (thx, well organised (if it was) nice venue)

its easy

I do "top of the bill" and support with different bands. I've got no problem with gear sharing (lent a kid my guitar at the w/end there when he snapped a string tuning up just before going on) but if I don't fancy the look of you, ask elsewhere. We always make every effort to check out the supports (even if they never seem to hang around much after their own sets) as a matter of principal but it doesn't always pan out that way. Not being a guy that spends half his life in the pub. if we're at home, I like to soundcheck then feck off home for a bath and a bite to eat first and sometimes only catch the last half hour before we go on. Cock ups with the gear and other arrangements seem to happen at every gig - it's just something you have to expect. I'm not defending the offenders at all but I personally think that the OP's letter is a bit OTT and a sure fire way to excluded from future support slots with the same organiser. IMHO.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='SteveK' post='303922' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:56 PM']A couple of points:

1. It's quite possible that the headliner hasn't got a clue who you are. Back stage areas are often awash with people: Sound tech's, lighting tech's, stage crew, liggers and family and friends. Unless you have a great big sign above your head saying, "I'm in the support band". How the hell are they supposed to know? :huh:

2. Just because headline acts often play to thousands, doesn't make them any less shy about approaching total strangers.

3. Maybe a headline act is unable to watch the support band - [b]perhaps they have to eat [/b][u][/u]- perhaps they like a bit of peace and quiet before their show - or maybe they're just knackered and need to lay down somewhere.

4. How many of you bemoaning the "arrogant" "Up themselves" headliners have actually done the approaching and said "Hi, I'm ?????, I'm in the support band. Looking forward to your set" or similar?..yeah, thought not. :)

Of course you get the odd a***hole who just doesn't want to be friendly, that's life, but if [u]you[/u] say "Hi" to someone, there's more than a good chance that they'll say "Hi" back. :huh:

Steve[/quote]

Spot on.... :huh:

Garry

I dont want to be the one thats completly name dropping and stuff, but Even at Glasto some BIG guys took the time out to come and say Hi and wish us luck and everything. Being a self centered so and so wont getcha anywhere. So good on you with the letter!

However, Sometimes people really are that shy. Be the guy to make the first move, pretend to care about what the guitarist is using or something - then if they still ignore you flip the fire alarm during there set :)

[quote name='Rich' post='303799' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:09 PM']A couple of years ago we played a music fest on the same bill as, ahem, a well-known Eurovision-winning guy-girl quartet who are not called Buck's Fizz. The girls were really nice, chatty, friendly, watched some of our set and complimented us afterwards. The blokes however were a different kettle of fish... didn't say a word to us all night, appeared to go out of their way to avoid even looking in our general direction. Miserable pair of feckers. So far up themselves, they must need torches.
And having heard their soundcheck, I know just how much is on their backing tape... let's just say it's an [i]awful[/i] lot more than just a drum track... :)[/quote]

Can I tell them their sound man instructions Rich? eh, eh? can I eh?

We did a hilarious gig in July at the Bullet Bar in Kentish Town with a varied set of bands - 2 x punk, 1 folksy acoustic dude, 1 grungey Neil Young-alike ... and a guy who had been in the X Factor!

About 20 years old, Johnny Starfinger (or similar) turned up with Mum, Dad and Grandad. Didn't talk to any other band. Did his slot to a backing tape, loads of swoopy ballads and fantastic line in cheese ("this goes out to all the laydeeez, yeah!") - the latter was especially funny as the audience mainly comprised the other bands and a few punks, almost all male.

Here's a surprise, disappeared straight after his set and didn't watch the rest of us.

Man we were upset. At least he didn't need to borrow my amp

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='304033' date='Oct 10 2008, 04:53 PM']We did a hilarious gig in July at the Bullet Bar in Kentish Town with a varied set of bands - 2 x punk, 1 folksy acoustic dude, 1 grungey Neil Young-alike ... and a guy who had been in the X Factor!

About 20 years old, Johnny Starfinger (or similar) turned up with Mum, Dad and Grandad. Didn't talk to any other band. Did his slot to a backing tape, loads of swoopy ballads and fantastic line in cheese ("this goes out to all the laydeeez, yeah!") - the latter was especially funny as the audience mainly comprised the other bands and a few punks, almost all male.

Here's a surprise, disappeared staright after his set and didn't watch the rest of us.

Man we were upset. At least he didn't need to borrow my amp[/quote]

Ha ha Imagine how he felt "but they promised me a full house of laaaaaaydeeeezzze "

That's a fair point about not knowing who is in the support band before they take to the stage.
When I used to headline :) We generally had no idea as someone else had done the booking.
To be honest, sometimes you'd look in and see no one dancing and that the support band were pants and just think that an hour phoning your kids, doing your makeup and eating pizza was probably a better use of your time.

If they were any good though we'd all be moshing down the front and cheering and stuff...

And then there was the support band of 16 year olds doing great Hendrix stuff who thought it hilarious to have a water fight in the dressing room tent whilst we were on stage .. and I don't think we'd upset them at all, they were just being rock and roll.... all over our stuff ....

• 3 weeks later...

We have done some great gigs with some total arseholes. Jocasta were one band who were total tossers. Turned up late, did not speak to us, took the piss with soundcheck and stage space. However, as it was our local venue, we had all our fans with us and knew the sound guy. We had a full venue for us and Jocaasta had an empty venue hehehehe. Miserable gits before the gig and miserable gits after the gig.

On the other hand, we met some great bands/musicians on our travels. Twister, Keeler, Samurai 7 to name a few. In fact most if not all big name artists were friendly. It seemed more of the up and coming bands who seemed to develop an arsehole attitude.

We were no angels though and did steal Sidi Bou Said beer rider at the Allycat in Reading :):) I'm sure somebody somewhere is saying we were arseholes.

[quote name='OldGit' post='304021' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:47 PM']Can I tell them their sound man instructions Rich? eh, eh? can I eh?[/quote]
Haha, yeah g'wan... it was a cracker :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='304046' date='Oct 10 2008, 04:08 PM']And then there was the support band of 16 year olds doing great Hendrix stuff who thought it hilarious to have a water fight in the dressing room tent whilst we were on stage .. and I don't think we'd upset them at all, they were just being rock and roll.... all over our stuff ....[/quote]Ah yes, the little darlings... I remember that one... driving home in my sweaty stage shirt because my real clothes were too wet to put back on :) :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='304021' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:47 PM']Can I tell them their sound man instructions Rich? eh, eh? can I eh?[/quote]

Like these, were they?

[url="http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1004061iggypop1.html"]http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1004061iggypop1.html[/url]

[quote name='artisan' post='303585' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:25 AM']I don't know who this band were but they sound just like "9 below zero".[/quote]

I've worked with them a couple of times a few years ago as a FOH soundman and they were not my favourites. That Dennis fellow (guitarist/vocals?) just seems to act like some sort of spoiled kid, which is not attractive in a 40+ year old bloke.

To be honest, the first time they showed up, they brought their own soundman who was an @rse himself and insisted on changing all the mics and settings around even though it was a shared backline gig (which all band members had a paddy over). This was all only for me to then put everything back for the next band, and the 9 Below boys came over and started saying how much better it sounded to their gig. Not sure how they could tell that from on stage in their gig, but suffice to say they came without a soundie the next time.

They just seemed to p*ss all venue, event staff and the other bands off as well. Everyone appreciated their talents, but all seemed to go away thinking they were a bunch of arrogant d**kheads.

[quote name='Rich' post='316663' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:08 PM']Haha, yeah g'wan... it was a cracker :)[/quote]

So this famous Eurovision winning outfit now does the national chicken curcuit, two women, two men, one playing a Str@t.

They only have 2 hits (or maybe three) so they do 20 minutes versions of each with a dub section and long, long guitar solos, drum solos, bass solos, harmonica solos .. and - Ok I'm lying ...

They only have 2 or 3 hits so they do a "60's show" and a "70's show" to fill out the time.
All to backing tracks.

Their vocals are pretty good and the show is pretty good in a slick, dead eyed, lifeless, caberet "doing this 5 nights a week" kind of way.

So it gets to the 60's show bit and they do Johnnie b Good - with the guitar intro ... the guy on stage does all the moves and off they go into the rock and roll section.

The Sound man showed us his instructions "during Johnny B Goode intro turn the (real) guitar off" yup the intro was on the backing tape ...

How we laffed ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='317399' date='Oct 29 2008, 11:11 AM']So this famous Eurovision winning outfit now does the national chicken curcuit, two women, two men, one playing a Str@t.

They only have 2 hits (or maybe three) so they do 20 minutes versions of each with a dub section and long, long guitar solos, drum solos, bass solos, harmonica solos .. and - Ok I'm lying ...

They only have 2 or 3 hits so they do a "60's show" and a "70's show" to fill out the time.
All to backing tracks.

Their vocals are pretty good and the show is pretty good in a slick, dead eyed, lifeless, caberet "doing this 5 nights a week" kind of way.

So it gets to the 60's show bit and they do Johnnie b Good - with the guitar intro ... the guy on stage does all the moves and off they go into the rock and roll section.

The Sound man showed us his instructions "during Johnny B Goode intro turn the (real) guitar off" yup the intro was on the backing tape ...

How we laffed ....[/quote]
:) :huh: :huh: :huh: :unsure: :lol: :lol: :o

[quote name='bremen' post='316696' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:42 PM']Like these, were they?

[url="http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1004061iggypop1.html"]http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1004061iggypop1.html[/url][/quote]

OMG That is a absolutely brilliant!
So many quotable bits ...