Why become a member? ×

I do not need a P-bass, do I?

Guest MoJo

This reminds me, I went to a jam session and noticed a guy there who's previously been a drummer but now dabbles in a bit of bass. He was showing me his P bass he'd recently picked up and he reckoned it was a real bargain, though I forget what he paid for it. Because of the crudely stamped number on the neck plate he was sure it was a 1973 model because he'd 'looked it up on the internet'. This was despite the fact it was a Squier and made in China. I didn't know know where to start...

Edited by KevB

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1476354006' post='3153517']
I think the problem with all this is P's are way more demanding of finger tip control than near any other bass.....get it right and they can sound amazing......get it wrong and they sound like mud..indistinct and awful.
I play old dead, heavy flats with a light touch, couldnt be happier, fantastic hefty, middly tone which oddly enough seems to cover just about everything bar slap of course.
[/quote]

In live performance there are a lot of variables that will impact the sound of any bass.

Blue

My first bass was a 1962 Precision. The best bass I have ever played for actually playing bass on. Widdling is a different matter.
On the other hand myt "work" bass for 30 odd years is a PJ with a neck somewhere between a precision and a Jazz.
Recently bought a USA 62 reissue Precision and I am in love all over again. Wide, ultra shallow neck, grunt and thump for days.
I previously had the P/J and a Japanese 60`s reissue Jazz.Played the Jazz and the precision both at a gig and asked the drummer which HE preferred to work with.
I think hge hit the nail on the head. The Jazz was punchy and articulate, but the Precision blended in so well with the kick drum it was like a kick in the balls (his words not mine)
So we decided to compromise. I sold the Jazz :lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1476352153' post='3153495']
Maybe you don't like how [i]you[/i] sound on a P bass ?

I was talking to a friend a coupe of days ago. He loves jazz basses, I always sound rubbish on them.

You were hearing another guy play one remember, you liked how [i]he[/i] sounded on it.

:)
[/quote]

Very good point this. I`m similar but with Jazzes, I love the sound of them except when I play them. I`ve had numerous Jazz basses and sold them on, sometimes you have to accept that a particular type of instrument just doesn`t work for you, even though they sound great when played by others.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476377159' post='3153820']

Very good point this. I`m similar but with Jazzes, I love the sound of them except when I play them. I`ve had numerous Jazz basses and sold them on, sometimes you have to accept that a particular type of instrument just doesn`t work for you, even though they sound great when played by others.
[/quote]

I've tried jazzes, Ps and musicman. None work for me.

A friend used to have a really old stingray that sounded great when he played it, but rubbish when I picked it up.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476377159' post='3153820']

[/quote]

If I'm hitting on all 6 cylinders I can sound pretty good on any bass. If it's an off night, I'd sound awful regardless of what type of bass I was playing.

Having a P Bass is always handy. However I contend all you need is a bass with good action, intonation and good electronics.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1476341401' post='3153395']
I have severe P-bass GAS at the moment after hearing someone playing an MIM Precision on Tuesday and thinking to myself, "That's it, that's the tone I'm after". The thing is, I've owned countless P-basses in the past, US, MIM, CIJ, Squiers, Vintage, Westfield, the list goes on and every one has been sold or traded, so I'm clearly not happy with something about P-basses. I'm trying to ride it out until the GAS passes but I'm weakening. Does anyone else convince themselves that they need something after having heard someone else using one or am I unique?
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat on the P-Bass thing. I've played Jazz's in various forms for years but recently I really really really want a P-Bass with some stinky old flatwounds on it. I once read an article from a high level pro session guy (can't remember the name) who's "main" bass was some ridiculous Fodera but he said that the bass he uses most by far in studio sessions or working with a pop artist etc is a 50's P-Bass. I know of a lot of players who say you should have at least one P-Bass in your arsenal because studio engineers love them, they don't need to do anything to them to get them to sound good. I'm starting to come round to that advice!

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1476347226' post='3153440']
S'ok, I've survived nearly 30 years of bass life without ever even touching a P-bass and I'm still intact :)
[/quote]

Your avatar says otherwise.... :lol:

Edited by tom1946

I was in Dawsons the other day and did a side by side test of an American standard, a Mexican standard and the Classic Vibe Squier. I have to say the Squier genuinely blew the Fenders out of the water, luckily didn't have my credit card with me otherwise I'd have bought it! It was so well made, looks gorgeous and sounds incredible. Having to tell myself that I have to sell my Musicmaster before I buy a P-Bass otherwise my better half will end me!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1476341401' post='3153395']
I have severe P-bass GAS at the moment after hearing someone playing an MIM Precision on Tuesday and thinking to myself, "That's it, that's the tone I'm after". The thing is, I've owned countless P-basses in the past,
[/quote]

Its very like a perceptual difference between hearing your self play something and hearing someone else play it. Yes they of course they wont play the same as you but even if they did it would sound different because when your playing you using say 80% of your "musical brain" to do the playing whereas when your not your using 100% of it to listen.

Honestly I come across this phenomena countless time, both listening to other players play my gear and talking to musician mates when were watching a band together who make comments like "hey hes using the same amp as me but mine doesn't sound anything like as good as that" to which I reply "yes it does" and they look at me with an expression of disbelief.

Edited by bassman7755

I've been playing bass for about 5 years and always loved the P-bass sound. A couple of months ago I was in the studio with my band when the Fender Starcaster I owned was stolen by some lucky git who must have chanced the door and got lucky! The guy producing us luckily was a bass player and kindly offered to bring in his bass, a 70s Fender P. I now own a 2004 MIA Fender P because, well, because.

[quote name='Burns-bass' timestamp='1476731334' post='3156794']
I never saw the fuss until I took up DB. Then when I picked up a pre CBS Precision I was hooked. So much so I bought it (I still haven't told my wife how much it cost).

It plays better than my 66 and 73 jazzes and sounds better too.
[/quote]

I had a 1957 pre CBS P, an ex girlfriend friend stole and sold it back in the mid 70s.

Blue

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1476554581' post='3155207']
I was in Dawsons the other day and did a side by side test of an American standard, a Mexican standard and the Classic Vibe Squier. I have to say the Squier genuinely blew the Fenders out of the water, luckily didn't have my credit card with me otherwise I'd have bought it! It was so well made, looks gorgeous and sounds incredible. Having to tell myself that I have to sell my Musicmaster before I buy a P-Bass otherwise my better half will end me!
[/quote]

Which Classic Vibe Precision was it? Wait, I don't want to know. Oh alright, I do...