Why become a member? ×

Guitar tone/effects

TheGreek

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1476041836' post='3150781']
so...you dont like overdriven guitars then?
Are we talking valve overdriven guitars?
Blimey thats a lot of music discarded there and then!...
[/quote]

I hate the fact that most guitarists I've played with buy this as their first pedal and feel that they need to use it all the time...

When I play guitar I prefer a purer clean tone with just a little bit of old school slapback echo. That said it's fun to add a bit of everything. I tend to avoid distortion but amp's natural breakup can be fun.

Basswise I don't use anything. I can't think of an effect I don't like but I guess anything too an excess can be a problem.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1476042143' post='3150789']

I hate the fact that most guitarists I've played with buy this as their first pedal and feel that they need to use it all the time...
[/quote]

A good distortion/drive pedal is very useful for quiet home practice but I'd agree that a lot of them don't sound great in a live band situation.

There aren't any effects that I intrinsically hate, but I've heard a lot of guitarists use effects that I didn't think worked particularly well with the music they were playing.

That's largely a personal taste thing.

A bit of funky guitar through a wah peddle is a wonderful thing though.

Edited by Cato

Same as bass effects though surely? Distortion, overdrive, delay, chorus, all have their uses but don't need to be use all the time. I love the mild overdriven sound but really don't like huge distortion that much.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1476053740' post='3150924']

I love SRV's tone, it has been aped so much it's almost clichéd - but every one is a pale imitation of Stevie's.
[/quote]

I agree, many try to get his tone but no one comes close. When I was younger I spent around 18 months where I only listened to SRV's music. His playing and tone had a profound affect on me. The clarity and bell like tone that he achieved mesmerised me and I spent lots of time and money trying to get it. I was totally obsessed with it. I got close with 2 ts 808s, one for boost and another for a the overdrive but in the end I realised I didn't have his hands and I was on a hiding to nothing lol.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1476081076' post='3150973']
The thin weedy distortion that lots of young guitarists get by using a small none valve amp with a distortion pedal flat out. There is no body or tone to the sound, no harmonics or depth just this fuzzy weedy, but loud, noise.
[/quote]

This. I had a guitarist once that really loved his middly, widdly fuzz and used it in every song. It got quite tiring on the ears. My current guitarist has a lot wider repertoire of tones and uses them with great subtlety

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1476039217' post='3150736']
There have been many threads about bass tones but what tone/effects do you like/hate from guitarists. Personally I can't stand overdriven/distorted guitars but love Envelope filters and reverb.

You??
[/quote]

Depends entirely on what all the other instruments are doing.

Just like there is no perfect bass tone there is also no perfect guitar tone.