Why become a member? ×

Basslines you don't know why you struggle with

GarethFlatlands

I've been doing the usual thing over the years of hearing a random song, thinking I like the bassline and then sitting down to learn it. It's thrown up a few interesting surprises in the form of a couple of basslines that I feel should be well within my skill range but can't nail.

I Want You Back by Jackson 5 - Most of it's fine but I just can't do the double time section in the middle 8. Seems like it needs a pretty big stretch and I can't move between the phrases without a lot of small, fast hand movements and I lose it pretty fast.

Roundabout by Yes - The main riff! It's such a great riff but the fast mutes on the A and D strings throw me. It's one of those where I can play it slow but can't get near the recorded speed.

I'm sure there are more but those 2 spring to mind.

The pregnant pause in the middle of Elton Johns version of Lucy in the sky with diamonds.
I think it was the superbly hand-written manuscript glaring balefully at me, along with every other player in the band at rehearsal....

Now etched indelibly in my brain, but with thirty minutes to showtime......

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1474293795' post='3136881']
Bloody Rhythm Stick. It needs regular practice or I can't pull it out the bag. At all. So dang tricky!
[/quote]

I think I'd need months of practice for that one! Very quick and busy, I can imagine it sounds terrible if you stray off course as well. Fantastic line, I might give it a try.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1474293795' post='3136881']
Bloody Rhythm Stick. It needs regular practice or I can't pull it out the bag. At all. So dang tricky!
[/quote]

I use that to see if I can get on with a bass, there are some basses I have got which felt sort of ok, but I couldn't play that on it!
I only really have problem with the walk up bit before the chorus.

But I only learned it because of this forum, so I enjoy it.

When I was Younger I really struggled to hit the second run on the intro for around the world by RHCP . Played the rest of the song no bother, but that bloody run!! It became a bit of a running joke with the mates and no matter how good of a gig we'd be having one of em would always shout 'but can you play around the world?!'

Still A bit of a joke to this day. It was about 10 years ago though and Im happy to say I've well and truly got it down now 😂

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1474302106' post='3136951']
I think I'd need months of practice for that one! Very quick and busy, I can imagine it sounds terrible if you stray off course as well. Fantastic line, I might give it a try.
[/quote]

Easy if you are a pick player though.....

Guest bassman7755

The first half of the bass solo on Fireball (deep purple) has always been somewhat elusive as it involves painful string bends and "notes" pitched between actual notes, the latter making it very hard to get into your head.

Lately, I've been struggling with Walk This Way by Aerosmith. Its one of those bass lines that hard to identify and internalise. Secondly its all 1st and 3rd frets exposing my poor technique and requiring alot of pinky work because I cant sustain the speed using the (correct) ring finger. Thirdly its got a rhythmic variation between the first and second phrases which I find throws me off course. Lastly I I find it easier to to play the verse/hook with fingers but really need a pick for the chorus. All in all a right b*stard to play, and I dont even like the song.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1474360990' post='3137322']
Strangely enough, Its The Beatles 'Come Together' that irks me. While its not difficult to play, I cant get that slide up to the top D to sound smoothly.
[/quote]

Know exactly what you mean. At a recent gig I was using a bass with coated strings, that made all the difference ;)

Walk this way. . . we've opened the second set with this for ages. I just play a funky line at about half that speed. IMO it works better as a funk number with a rock guitar over the top rather than everyone overplaying and getting messy trying to match the original.

Come together. . . never do the slide, or the top F come to that. It works just as well (even better) as a moody rocker and played lower down the fret board.

[quote name='AlexDelores' timestamp='1474314051' post='3137097']
When I was Younger I really struggled to hit the second run on the intro for around the world by RHCP .
[/quote]

Same! It always felt like there's the wrong number of notes to fit in somehow. The verse was fine which is odd as it's all over the board and there's a lot of quick fills but I got it fairly quick. The intro still eludes me but I stopped being a fan and haven't tried their stuff in years.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1474360990' post='3137322']
Strangely enough, Its The Beatles 'Come Together' that irks me. While its not difficult to play, I cant get that slide up to the top D to sound smoothly.
[/quote]

I switched to playing the starting D on an open string rather than what I assume is the proper way on the low E. Gives you a little more breathing room in terms of the slide and you don't have to worry about muting the note going into it but I agree, it's a simple line but oddly tough to get sounding right.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1474375133' post='3137467']
Same! It always felt like there's the wrong number of notes to fit in somehow. The verse was fine which is odd as it's all over the board and there's a lot of quick fills but I got it fairly quick. The intro still eludes me but I stopped being a fan and haven't tried their stuff in years.
[/quote]

it is a weird run... glad to hear I wasn't the one. It seems ok but when I played it, it took a few more goes than I expected to get it right.
I played in a RHCP tribute band for about 4-5 years... that song never was a favourite of mine. But people loved it!