Why become a member? ×

Hands up! who's in a 80's/90' pop/rock cover band

zonular

Lot of 80s & 90's here .. Robert Palmer / Radiohead / but venture into the 70's as well ( Doobies ) and one or 2 into the 2000's ( King King )

Markbass 604 pair / Carvin BX1600 or Kustom Groove Bass 1200. Selling the Carvin so now only use the Kustom. FX board - Digitech BSW / Danelectro Chorus / EHX Micro Q / Rowin Flanger / Mooer Octave / Pitch Black

Edited by fleabag

The reason I ask, is I've been kicking around the Idea of starting a covers band and scoping out the gear other people use.

My own set up is really an atk400 and some headphones. Between seeing if many people find the benefit of a 5 string for pop covers and what sort of amps/di boxes are being used.

Long story short....just picking brains

We're going more 80's with the new songs we're adding. I play a Hohner B2A (headless, naturally), and will be bringing out my fretless Kramer for some songs that need it and some that don't. Those are the 80's-ist basses I have. I use a Hartke VXL, Mooer thunderball, Jim Dunlop bass wah, need to add a chorus and an octaver. All goes in to either a Trace Elliot, an Ashdown or a Peavey depending.

Typically we play bluesy rock stuff and my P-Bass covers that. We did a shortened set for an event recently and played an hour of "stuff to dance to" and covered it all with my jazz bass for the versatility without wasting time changing instruments between songs.

[quote name='zonular' timestamp='1473421522' post='3130064']...
Long story short....just picking brains
[/quote]

Use whatever you want/have, there are no rules, and it's all good, ime.

We use a 'Douglas' 6-string fretless, straight into a Hiwatt DR205 driving an HH 2 x 15 horn-loaded cab. A varied '80s/'90s repertoire of pop/rock, including several Radiohead, Muse, RATM, Noir Désir, RHCP and much more. A simple, vox-only PA, so no DI or stuff like that. Any decent-sounding gear will do the job very well; no need to use anything special (unless you want to, of course...).

A lot of current band set is 80's AOR/melodic rock stuff. Use exactly same rig I've used with 60's/70's band, blues rock band, pop/rock/indie functions band etc - Fender J or P into TE 300W 1x15 combo with a 2x10 extension cab. Occasionally used a Ric with same rig too.