Why become a member? ×

Any of you cover/pub bands run with two drummers ?

Les

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1472306679' post='3120221']
The Melvins didn't bring their second drummer when I saw them recently, but live videos I've seen suggest it would have been brilliant if they had.
[/quote]

I can confirm it was! And if course there were 3 drummers in King Crimson's current formation... Astounding to experience live. If anything it was slightly overpowering at times, the sheer force of the sound.

I've seen pros do it. Joe Bonamossa, Allman Brothers ext.

At the local level in the bar band business there's hardly enough money or room for 1 drummer.

And as hard as it is to find 1 good drummer.

Blue

Edited by blue

We bring out two drummers sometimes. I say 'we', but basically it's a standard four-piece lineup and whoever else they know who happens to have the evening off turns up and sits in as they see fit. I do one-hand keys and backing vocals/hype man duties usually.

We've done the double drums thing a few times this year though - started at New Years and two or three since then. We have one who overplays and one who underplays, so that works out nicely. It's fun and gets the crowd going during the middle section of 'Rock And Roll' when they trade eights for a while. Mostly bar standards so nothing too complicated we can't work through. It does get very cramped onstage though, and obviously you have to split the pay for an extra member.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1472288938' post='3120037']
I've seen the tribute band G2 use a 2nd drummer occasionally.
[/quote]

I once played with The Carpet Crawlers, who do a two-drum show. Their next "tour" is the 1986/7 Invisible Touch show. 30 years old already.

I played in a prog rock covers band where the singer played drums in the instrumental bits which worked quite well. If you've two competent drummers it's quite possible and very impressive at times. We only did it at gigs where there was sufficient space. There's a local originals band who use two drummers. They make it a focal point with the kits centre at the front of the stage, side on, face to face. It's quite effective.

In the early days of Kiemsa, Martin, the singer, who also wrote the songs, wanted to play djembe in a couple of 'em. This was quickly scotched as being a Very Bad Idea.
On the other hand, our singer with The Daub'z brings a floor tom onto the stage when we play our rendering of 'There There' (Radiohead...) which works very well. It helps that our Stéphane is our singer, and plays guitar, but is also a drummer. :)

I once played synth/sound effects in a 4-piece post-punk industrial-funk band with 2 drummers and a percussionist. IME it can be hard work if you don't have the right musicians as there has to be one drummer setting the tempo and the other drummer following and even these days of drum machines and sync/click track playing it's still difficult to find drummers who are able to follow a tempo rather than set it.

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1472655087' post='3122970']
Great if you want to deafen everyone within a 100 mile radius of the place!
[/quote]

Wot, like these two..?

http://youtu.be/NjpZihqVY-g

It might also be noted that they are not playing to a click track. [i]Some [/i]drummers are musicians, and can play in time. Just sayin'.

([i]Other example of double drummers are available on request, without the need for earplugs. Just ask[/i]...)

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1472289470' post='3120043']
[media][url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJxR-qeAUpo"]http://www.youtube....h?v=BJxR-qeAUpo[/url][/media]

Anyone?
[/quote]

Not keen.

There's about a million dollars of Berklee college tuition fees in that video.

TH

I have never played with two drummers with full kits.

However I have played with three drummers.

One with full but small kit and two as percussionists.

One percussionist using timbales, plus claves, maraccas, tambourine, guiro etc. and second percussionist with congas, etc.

Alongside guitar, piano, bass, and male and female vocals it sounded very big indeed.

But you need people who haven't come to compete but come to play great music.