Why become a member? ×

When do you consider yourself a musician.

bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1472468105' post='3121270']
That's not verbing anything though, it is just a noun and a verb, musician is a noun only.
[/quote]

Leverage isn't a verb, it's a noun. Using it as a verb is abuse of the language.

So, have you been musicianing lately?

I play music at a low level but often get paid reasonably , and by most peoples definition they'd call me a musician for doing so.

I play football at a low level, yet i'm not a footballer

Personally I find the title "musician" a bit silly for someone like me, I can recreate basslines, and hold a band together timing wise, and I have great confidence playing certain genres well, but I don't think I should be called a musician unless I could read sheets and busk along at a much higher level than I currently and ever will do.

Edited by lojo

Just had another read of this thread and its really got me thinking.

I'm a pro-photographer trying desperately to retire ha..but the thing is I've never really considered myself a "photographer"..why? cause it was never my first love even though I earn my living from it. Music is where my head is but I could never make any money from it, yet it dominates every moment I'm not taking pictures etc....

I could pack the photography in tmrw easily.. but playing music.....Never!

I find it funny when people are asked what they do on quiz shows. "I'm an unemployed computer programmer". No you're not. You're unemployed.

It's funny how we self identify ourselves. An injured runner? No you're not a runner if you can't run, your wardrobe may be full of running clothes and trainers but you're not a runner.

But do we all stop being computer programmers, runners, musicians when we are asleep at night?

I suppose you only stop being an X when you actively declare you're not going to do it anymore.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1472583811' post='3122392']
I find it funny when people are asked what they do on quiz shows. "I'm an unemployed computer programmer". No you're not. You're unemployed.

It's funny how we self identify ourselves. An injured runner? No you're not a runner if you can't run, your wardrobe may be full of running clothes and trainers but you're not a runner.

But do we all stop being computer programmers, runners, musicians when we are asleep at night?

I suppose you only stop being an X when you actively declare you're not going to do it anymore.
[/quote]

Have you thought about taking a degree in Philosophy? You may ponder such questions as: does something exist if no-one is looking at it.
As it happens I do have a degree in Philosophy, but if anyone asks, I don't call myself a Philosopher.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1472586045' post='3122423']

Have you thought about taking a degree in Philosophy? You may ponder such questions as: does something exist if no-one is looking at it.
As it happens I do have a degree in Philosophy, but if anyone asks, I don't call myself a Philosopher.
[/quote]

I'm more of a psychology man myself. My daughter starts A level psychology next week, I'm hoping to steal some of her books.

But the whole thread is a philosophical question. A musician is someone who makes music. End of discussion. What is music and are they a musician when they're not actually making music are key to the question I think.

And yes. I think it's been proved that things are just a collection of electromagnetic waves. It's only when other electromagnetic waves interfere with them and then activate our visual cortex does anything actually become 'real'. Which is odd because then it's just a collection of electro-chemical impulses.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1472588609' post='3122446']

And yes. I think it's been proved that things are just a collection of electromagnetic waves. It's only when other electromagnetic waves interfere with them and then activate our visual cortex does anything actually become 'real'. Which is odd because then it's just a collection of electro-chemical impulses.
[/quote]

I have a friend who's whole attitude to life, emotions etc is that it's all just electro-chemical impulses. Therefore meaningless, so he pretty much gave up on trying to achieve anything in life.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1472595719' post='3122557']
I have a friend who's whole attitude to life, emotions etc is that it's all just electro-chemical impulses. Therefore meaningless, so he pretty much gave up on trying to achieve anything in life.
[/quote]

I have the same view, but use the lack of an imposed meaning to choose my own. Understanding the chemistry of the brain does not make it less wonderful.

I'm reading an interesting book, called the yoga sutras of patanjali.

There's some interesting concepts in there about how we identify ourselves, and how others identify us.

People are seeing themselves as bass players because they only play bass, but what do they play on the bass ? The answer is music. See the bigger picture.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1472598583' post='3122575']

Can one self-identify anyone else ?
[/quote]

I suppose not. It doesn't really add anything but the sentence didn't seem compete without the qualifying 'ourselves'. Doesn't make it bad grammar though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-concept

It's up to others whether they consider themselves musicians but I don't think of myself as one for reasons other than money. The main one is that playing bass, guitars and drums is not an all-consuming passion but one of several interests. I can easily go several weeks without playing or listening to music. If I had to go more than a week without beer I'd go bonkers. The other main thing is I know what I like listening to and playing and ain't that interested in broadening my horizons :). As long as I've a decent repertoire of songs I can master I'm not that bothered about advanced theory and all jazz

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1472649118' post='3122904']
I suppose not. It doesn't really add anything but the sentence didn't seem compete without the qualifying 'ourselves'. Doesn't make it bad grammar though.

[url="https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-concept"]https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Self-concept[/url]
[/quote]

Well, if tautology can be accepted as acceptable, I suppose not, but it ain't [i]good [/i]grammar, either. Try as substituti[size=4]on '[/size][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's funny how we self mutilate ourselves.' Does [i]that [/i]sound right..? :unsure:[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just sayin'.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1472596472' post='3122565']
Wrong again I'm afraid mate ;)
[url="http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/leverage"]http://dictionary.ca...nglish/leverage[/url]
[/quote]

It's now used as a verb. However, it is and was a noun, and using it as a verb is a bastardisation of the language (the dictionary is a record of usage, which for example now defines "literally" as "not literally", and will probably include the non-existent word "supercede" in it at some point because people can't spell). It is a noun that has been verbed, which was, I believe, my original point when I said that there is no noun that cannot be verbed.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472569952' post='3122214']

I've made comments about keeping a professional attitude. Even though I personally don't drink alcohol,I wouldn't drink at a gig any sooner than drinking at a traditional 9-5 job.

[/quote]
It should be noted that this is not necessarily the attitude of many top professional musicians.

A singer that I've played the odd dep gig for was lucky enough to land a tour with a some well known musicians who used to be in a very famous British rock band. These guys certainly drank before, after and during a performance but could still play to a suitably high level . My mate (who it must be said, likes a drink himself) found it very difficult to keep up with them in the bar and then perform at a level to do himself justice.

I suppose that the point is that it is not necessarily considered unprofessional to drink on a gig, but you are still expected to perform at the highest level regardless.

Edited by peteb

By the time you are at the drink drive limit you have already experienced 7dB loss of hearing and it will be most marked in the vocal range making speech difficult to hear.

Next time some drunk comes up to you at a gig and says they can't hear the vocals, they probably can't.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2031886/