Why become a member? ×

When do you consider yourself a musician.

bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1472226718' post='3119664']
Musiced,musicing,musicer? Come on then let's hear the verb for musician.
[/quote]
I Musician
You Musician
He/She Musicians
You (plural) Musicianers
We Musician
They musicianizes
It Musicianionizeser

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1472225466' post='3119648']

I see "professional approach" as meaning that you adopt the same approach to playing music as you do to whatever it is that you do for a living, because you'd still like to be doing it tomorrow - ie. do it well and don't piss people off. Well, at least not the people that pay you.
[/quote]

Exactly, like no drinking on the job.

Blue

Never ceases to amaze me how bands can spend hours and hours in rehearsal and then ruin it all by drinking before a gig. It's not only unprofessional, it's downright embarassing. If you're playing for free for a mate's birthday, fine... otherwise stick to orange juice.
I've been in some bands where a member has had a serious drink problem... it's just a waste of time. Same people used to say that the drink makes them play better... that means they're so p****d they can't hear how bad it is.

Rant over... carry on everyone.

I'm very fond of a drink, but at gigs usually stick to water. Apart from the playing, it makes the drive home less stressful if you know you have nothing to fear from the breathalyser.

I've never played with anyone who was better after a few drinks (or the dreaded pre-gig spliff).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1472303146' post='3120188']
Depends if those people can function after having a drink... I'd expect a couple of pints to have no effect at all..
[/quote][quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1472304447' post='3120200']
I'm very fond of a drink, but at gigs usually stick to water. Apart from the playing, it makes the drive home less stressful if you know you have nothing to fear from the breathalyser.

I've never played with anyone who was better after a few drinks (or the dreaded pre-gig spliff).
[/quote]
I have a jack n coke before each set and I'm fine. Doesn't get me pissed!

I know a couple of people who are better after a drink or two, not pissed tho!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1472129014' post='3118734']

You were in a band with Boo? Was it The Great Divide by any chance?

Boo's a great guy & one of the best songwriters this country has ever produced IMO. Great voice too.

[/quote]

Before Great Divide / Bible days - just a school band we formed at 16 until 18 called "Nifty Wood" (not very punk, I know)
Very raw - only the lead guitarist had decent gear - but two really fantastic singer / songwriters in the band, we split when 2 of us went on to Uni
Boo was just plain Mark until we heard his Mum call him "Boo", and it inevitably stuck! I kept a cartoon he did of me (pic below) as it always makes me laugh :)

Back to the OP - semantics are generally irellevant anyway. Most of us here are probably pretty good at the English language, but wouldn't call ourselves Linguists - we just do what comes naturally......

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1472388022' post='3120701']
Before Great Divide / Bible days - just a school band we formed at 16 until 18 called "Nifty Wood" (not very punk, I know)
Very raw - only the lead guitarist had decent gear - but two really fantastic singer / songwriters in the band, we split when 2 of us went on to Uni
Boo was just plain Mark until we heard his Mum call him "Boo", and it inevitably stuck! I kept a cartoon he did of me (pic below) as it always makes me laugh :)
[/quote]

Awesome!
Do you still keep in touch?

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1472386122' post='3120681']
Am I a musician? As it's not my bread and butter nor my main occupation outside of work then the answer is 'no way'. As I said on a thread of my own I'm a hobbyist, a dabble, a noodler..
[/quote]

Of course you're a musician, of sorts. Hobbyist, dabbler or noodler are not activities, they are descriptions of an activity and in this case that activity is music.

If I play a song on a guitar I'm being a musician. Admittedly not a professional musician earning my living from doing so, but a musician nevertheless, even if 'only' a hobbyist musician or a dabbling musician or even a not very good musician, but it's still a form of musicianship. Same as playing football in the park on a Sunday morning is still a form of football.

A musician is someone who makes music. The rest is adjectives, one of these being 'a bad musician'. The tools are irrelevant, the skill set irrelevant, the methods irrelevant. The only defining characteristic is the presence of a person and the creation of music.

I struggle with some elements of this, DJs being my main blindspot, but, in the end, I am not in charge so it's not my call. Human being who makes music, end of.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1472415871' post='3120999']
A musician is someone who makes music. The rest is adjectives, one of these being 'a bad musician'. The tools are irrelevant, the skill set irrelevant, the methods irrelevant. The only defining characteristic is the presence of a person and the creation of music.

I struggle with some elements of this, DJs being my main blindspot, but, in the end, I am not in charge so it's not my call. Human being who makes music, end of.
[/quote]
I agree :)

I'm still waiting to hear what being 'verbed' means :D

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1472415871' post='3120999']

[/quote]

There we go. I was waiting for someone to say this.

If you play music you are a musician. End of story.

The real question is what is music? That's really in the ear of the beholder. I don't think you can call yourself a musician. Anyone who owns a musical instrument can make a noise with it.

It's up to the audience to decide whether it's music. If they think it's music, then you are a musician.

A painter paints, an artist sells his paintings.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1472304447' post='3120200']

[/quote]

Alcohol has not touched my lips since 1976.

I've made comments about keeping a professional attitude. Even though I personally don't drink alcohol,I wouldn't drink at a gig any sooner than drinking at a traditional 9-5 job.

I like control and being in any altered state would have an impact on control.

Blue