Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce (ish) EB3 / SG Bass

Andyjr1515

Hi

I alluded in another thread that I was on the road to another full build.

In summary, our old-gits-band's bassist, Pete, has persuaded me in the past to build him two "in the style of" instruments. He is a long-standing Jack Bruce fan and first got me to build him a Jack Bruce Thumb tribute fretless, which many of you will have seen before:

...and - because he fancies himself as a six-string lead player too (actually, he plays a mighty fine lead when the band's main lead guitarist lets him) - an SG-style electric:

The new request is a neat seque of the two ... a nod to one of the EB3 fretted basses that Jack Bruce used to play.

Happily, Pete isn't a purist. If he was, he wouldn't ask me to build guitars and basses for him :lol:

More than that, he doesn't want it to be short-scale per the original. So the spec in my mind, so far is:[list]
[*]34" scale, with bridge moved back from original to improve balance and shorten the apparent look and feel of the neck
[*]Mahogany two piece body with maple or Wenge demarcation stripe. Chambered to reduce weight.
[*]Mahogany through neck with central walnut splice
[*]Ebony fretboard and headstock
[*]Cherry red stain
[*]DiMarzio Number One bridge pickup
[*]Still to be spec'd mini humbucker for neck
[*]Infamous Gibson three-point bridge - purely for a passing nod towards authenticity (even though JB did also play EB3's with the even earlier non-compensated nickel bar bridges, but I do have at least one photo of him playing a three-pointer)
[*]Still to be spec'd EQ if any.
[/list]

I got hold of one of the few remaining three pointers on the shelves - I think the UN has banned them for crimes against humanity:

Note the (supplied) Sellotape holding the saddle-screws in....because there's nothing else holding them in, certainly!

Two paper templates cut - one for the back and one for the top:

Two pieces of mahogany ready:

...and DiMarzio Number One bought from Thomann to achieve free postage for Stuart when I ordered his semi-acoustic's EQ :D :

I think we're away :D

Of course, the observant amongst you will have noticed that the big pickup goes in the neck position!

I also forgot to mention the Varitone...

So the spec will be, of course:[list]
[*]34" scale, with bridge moved back from original to improve balance and shorten the apparent look and feel of the neck
[*]Mahogany two piece body with maple or Wenge demarcation stripe. Chambered to reduce weight.
[*]Mahogany through neck with central walnut splice
[*]Ebony fretboard and headstock
[*]Cherry red stain
[*]DiMarzio Number One [b]neck[/b] pickup
[*]Still to be spec'd mini humbucker for [b]bridge[/b]
[*]Infamous Gibson three-point bridge - purely for a passing nod towards authenticity (even though JB did also play EB3's with the even earlier non-compensated nickel bar bridges, but I do have at least one photo of him playing a three-pointer)
[*]Varitone
[/list]

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1470077733' post='3103129']
Gibson did make a long-scale version of the EB3. Have a look at [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB3.php"]Fly Guitars[/url] for more details including models with two completely different pickup positions.
[/quote]
Wow - fascinating, BigRedX. Those pickup positions are quite, quite different!

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1470085721' post='3103234']
How much is this costing?!! I bet lots of folk on the forum would be interested in getting in on this. I don't even like Gibsons and I'd be up for this. Plus it'd beat paying £6500 for the equivalent EB3 Warwick copy.
[/quote]
Now there's the rub. You can get an Epiphone SG Bass for significantly less than the cost of the timber alone to build one. Wood, hardware and pickups get you fast heading towards Gibson's finished price - and that's before the couple of months making it.

It's why this to me is a hobby and not a going concern :D

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1470310067' post='3104957']
Go anywhere near that beautiful piece of timber with red stain and I will be forced to hunt you down and kill you! :o
[/quote]

You won't need to. The horned devil in the wood will do it for you. Or am I getting too Freudian.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1470310067' post='3104957']
Go anywhere near that beautiful piece of timber with red stain and I will be forced to hunt you down and kill you! :o
[/quote]
:lol:

Now, then....I used to think that also ... until I stained Mick's (TheGreek) 'Silk' bass walnut back panels orange on a 'I wonder if...' basis:

So..... 'I wonder if...' ;)

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1470320949' post='3105111']
Here's mine for reference if that's any help. Was a deep red wine colour, now browner than brown (except under the pics guard
Subscribed.
Andy
[/quote]
Wow - lovely job :)

How long did it take to lose the red? Remarkable....

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1470310495' post='3104966']
You won't need to. The horned devil in the wood will do it for you. Or am I getting too Freudian.
[/quote]
No - I think you are being absolutely correct....blimey, there are some crazy scary images in there. Beats ink and blotting paper any day! :o

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1470322684' post='3105140']
Was made in '73. I only got it this year so dunno. Nice though :)
[/quote][quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1470322684' post='3105140']
Was made in '73. I only got it this year so dunno. Nice though :)
[/quote]
It's the real deal!