Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce (ish) EB3 / SG Bass

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1470323271' post='3105147']
Here's the original colour under the pickguard along with an original owners name and address scratched on it in 1974 Amazing colour change. Nice
[/quote]
That's really quite something.

Have to smile also because I generally use fountain pen ink or calligraphy ink for my stains and folk in the know get quite twitchy (probably with some justification) about the colour fastness. I would happily pitch my red ink against Gibson's commercial stain of the '70s based on this for colour fastness :lol:

Your bass has real mojo, Bassmonkey. Well done for tracking such a good one down.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1470331876' post='3105244']
No, no, no, no, no, no!

Well maybe. The more I look the better it gets!
[/quote]
:D

Thing is, it IS going to be red, because that's the one thing that Pete has asked for. So the choice is nondescript but perfectly normal grain, in red.....or something a bit more eye-catching, in red :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1470334365' post='3105277']
:D

Thing is, it IS going to be red, because that's the one thing that Pete has asked for. So the choice is nondescript but perfectly normal grain, in red.....or something a bit more eye-catching, in red :)
[/quote]

Have you got other pieces of wood that you're thinking of or is that your main stock?

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1470335995' post='3105292']
Have you got other pieces of wood that you're thinking of or is that your main stock?
[/quote]
This is presently what is going on the back (it will have the thru-neck between the two halves) and I have a one-piece from further down the plank that could be used for the top. Probably a bit less swirly, but that kind of thing.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1470336772' post='3105304']
This is presently what is going on the back (it will have the thru-neck between the two halves) and I have a one-piece from further down the plank that could be used for the top. Probably a bit less swirly, but that kind of thing.
[/quote]

Go with the first one! I've been looking at it and it's really been growing on me! :)

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1470337085' post='3105306']
Go with the first one! I've been looking at it and it's really been growing on me! :)
[/quote]
It will come out darker in any case, but once it's all finished and got the hardware on, I think the book-matched fancy one will look spectacular :D

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1470337238' post='3105308']
It will come out darker in any case, but I think once it's all finished and got the hardware on, I think the book-matched fancy one will look spectacular :D
[/quote]

You obviously have an eye for these things because I wouldn't have ever thought to do colour it!

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1470337360' post='3105309']
You obviously have an eye for these things because I wouldn't have ever thought to do colour it!
[/quote]
It's also that the one stipulation I have been given is that it has got to be red - otherwise heaven knows what I'd have come up with :lol:

You can never tell until you start staining these things for real, but this is more like the shade it will come out:

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1470337836' post='3105319']
It's also that the one stipulation I have been given is that it has got to be red - otherwise heaven knows what I'd have come up with :lol:

You can never tell until you start staining these things for real, but this is more like the shade it will come out:

[/quote]

Looks amazing! I can't wait to see the proper article!

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1470337836' post='3105319']

[/quote]

Where do we place our orders?!!

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1470601803' post='3107065']
Mother fetch the gun, the boy has gone near that red stain...... :-)
[/quote]
As everybody knows, my name is Bert and I live in Spalding and I'm young and tall and can sing like a lark...you can't miss me ;)

Now this is the part where you think you are going nowhere, but if you skimp on it, most likely you're going nowhere....it's the planning stage. The number of times I've routed out a weight relief chamber, and then gone to fit the bridge bushes and...ahhhh, now then, never thought of THAT :rolleyes:

The main issue here is about balance, weight distribution and scale reach.

Although the original EB3 was short scale (although they did do a few long scale ones later), Pete wants 34". He also wants it weight-relieved. Alarm bells then start ringing:[list]
[*]If you join the neck where the original was joined, you will struggle to reach the first fret and it will be neck heavy like there is no tomorrow. This is exacerbated by the short upper horn of the SG design - compare this:
[/list]

...to this:

[list]
[*]If you bring the bridge rearward to shorten the apparent scale length, you won't be able to reach the upper frets, due to the relatively small cut-out of the lower horn
[/list]
So I have spent a lot of time this morning checking the maximum I can afford to bring the bridge back with where that logically means the fretboard needs to meet the body and what the maximum reach from the lower cutout to the 22nd fret would be (it will have 24 frets but I reckon Pete will only be able to comfortably reach 22 of them)

With a tiny tweak of the lower horn to deepen the cutout (and maybe a very small extension to the upper horn) I reckon I can get it to work.

Visually, I think it still looks like an SG: