Why become a member? ×

Two gigs in 5 hours!

leschirons

Going to be a long night tonight. Playing at 8.00pm until 11.00pm at a big Dutch camp site and then leave Dobbie, our stage elf (singer's husband) to pack it all up while we then drive to a Brit wedding to start again at midnight for a 2 hour set.

The band they'd hired now can't play as their singer is unexpectedly in hospital and we got a panic call 48 hours ago. Can't ruin their special day so they've hired a duo to get it going until midnight then we take over as soon as we arrive. Luckily, we have enough gear to set up both gigs so going to install at the wedding venue at 3.00pm, home, get changed and off to first venue.

Can probably write the rest of Sunday off as I'll be in bed I imagine :blink:

I did a charity do with a local band many years back, from memory, the plan was to play 8 gigs in 12 hours, we ran 2 complete set ups with 2 crews, so whilst the band played the first gig we set up the second gig, whilst the band played the second gig the crew from the first gig set up for the third gig etc. It actually went without a hitch, I am not sure if it set any kind of record but it certainly made all the local papers.

Sounds like business as usual sewer ler continong.

Guitarist in my current band lived and worked in the Blearics for 20 odd years and had no less than THREE sets of gear for the same reason.
You rush about a bit, but if the moneys OK......

Did a 2-gig-in-one-night in London recently and the next day I was [i]knacked[/i]. It was the packing up, getting across town to the second gig and setting up again that did for me. And of course the actual playing didn't help much either. You get the picture. A man of my urbane maturity should be in a comfortable club armchair of an evening, sipping chilled champagne while watching young women wrestle in Swarfega. Or something. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469919644' post='3102069']
Did a 2-gig-in-one-night in London recently and the next day I was [i]knacked[/i]. It was the packing up, getting across town to the second gig and setting up again that did for me. And of course the actual playing didn't help much either. You get the picture. A man of my urbane maturity should be in a comfortable club armchair of an evening, sipping chilled champagne while watching young women wrestle in Swarfega. Or something. :mellow:
[/quote]

Just back from a gig, in a susceptible frame of mind and there you are, talking about swarfega, and wrestling. There's another night's sleep lost then!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469919644' post='3102069']
... while watching young women wrestle in Swarfega.
[/quote]

The last place in Swarfega to put on women wrestling closed last year. I hear all the action has moved down the road to Babylotion.

Okay, I've woken (and got) up. Got in at 4.30 a.m.

Highs and lows.

Pros, very good money.

Cons. 1) Setting up the wedding gig. Gear had to be carried 100 mtrs to the marquee, across a bridged moat! and obviously back again at 3.00 .am. 2) Leaving the roadie at the first gig to pack away whilst we rush off to second gig only to find that his tablet (used to control the WIFI mixer) is password locked and he's turned his phone off so played first 40 mins using one mic and just two un-preamped foldback monitors for vocals until he arrived. 3) Audience already dead on their feet upon our arrival but still gave it their best shot. 4) Sunday written off as still shattered.

Going to have a nap on couch now but put me down for the Swarfega thing.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1469963484' post='3102282']

Going to have a nap on couch now but put me down for the Swarfega thing.
[/quote]

No offence intended, but I'm not sure if discreet (or any one else here) wants to watch you wrestle in Swarfega.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1469871484' post='3101584']
We've done two gigs an hour apart once. Never again! (Actually, that's not true, we've done it twice!)
[/quote]

I've done it. Last year on New Years Eve we did a 3-7 packed up and did a 9-1.

I can't say never again. I need the cash.

Blue

Did a blues festival in Scotland a couple of years ago playing three gigs in three different venues (all within 500 yards or so of each other) back to back ie starting around 5 o'clock in the afternoon thru to 1 o'clock in the morning.

It worked ok - the only problem was finding time to get something to eat...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1470312005' post='3104987']
Did a blues festival in Scotland a couple of years ago playing three gigs in three different venues (all within 500 yards or so of each other) back to back ie starting around 5 o'clock in the afternoon thru to 1 o'clock in the morning.

It worked ok - the only problem was finding time to get something to eat...
[/quote]

After we did the second one, (the Brit wedding) they kindly provided us with bacon rolls and brown sauce. Absolutely perfect at 2.00am when you're starving. The two Frenchies couldn't quite get their heads around the Daddies sauce though but I think they'll be back for more :D

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1470321469' post='3105123']

After we did the second one, (the Brit wedding) they kindly provided us with bacon rolls and brown sauce. Absolutely perfect at 2.00am when you're starving. The two Frenchies couldn't quite get their heads around the Daddies sauce though but I think they'll be back for more :D
[/quote]

Brown Sauce?

There's got to be a better name.😁

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1470423593' post='3105955'] Yous guys don't have Hot Dogs? Blue [/quote]

This is a 'guy' (Penny for the Guy..? Remember, Remember, the 5th of November...) :lol: :P ...

I'm much more used to 'blokes', 'fellows', 'chums' and, in some circumstances, 'mates'. There was a personality a while back whose catch phrase included 'Guys an' Gals'... He is little quoted nowadays, and looked upon with disfavour.
Do we have hot dogs..? Some would maybe admit to such, but probably mask the 'taste' with brown sauce. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1470432218' post='3106036']

This is a 'guy' (Penny for the Guy..? Remember, Remember, the 5th of November...) :lol: :P ...

I'm much more used to 'blokes', 'fellows', 'chums' and, in some circumstances, 'mates'. There was a personality a while back whose catch phrase included 'Guys an' Gals'... He is little quoted nowadays, and looked upon with disfavour.
Do we have hot dogs..? Some would maybe admit to such, but probably mask the 'taste' with brown sauce. :mellow:
[/quote]

Even over here in the States it's hard to find a really good hot dog.

Mine are OK, but not great by any means.

Blue