Why become a member? ×

compression. help or hindrance?

bassjim

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1469885473' post='3101780']

Exactly what I'm pondering just now. Got ale bass preamp with an effects loop and can't decide where it should go.
Originally has it after my octave but moved it to before as this helped the octaver. Then I tried it last in chain just before the amp and it sounded better for general playing (don't really use the octave anyway)... However since getting the le bass I can't decide if it should go in the effects loop of after the preamp... Complicated business this 😜
[/quote]

Again. It depends what you're using it for.

Normally it's part of your pre-amp so it goes before the FX loop.

Unless you're using pedal effects when it would then be after them.

Unless you're using a compressor pedal in which case it goes before your pedal FXs.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469893297' post='3101848']

Unless you're using a compressor pedal in which case it goes before your pedal FXs.
[/quote]
Yes, it's a pedal... EBS multicomp

So you think it should be first in line after the bass?

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1469895058' post='3101870']

Yes, it's a pedal... EBS multicomp

So you think it should be first in line after the bass?
[/quote]

Depends what your trying to do with it.

I'd start with EQ -> Comp -> FX.

But also try putting it right in front of the Amp.

Use your ears. :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469893297' post='3101848']

[/quote]

So there's a case for using 2 or more compressors?

When i use compression it's to create a tone not to hide any faults in my playing. As such sometimes I like using it and sometimes not, depends what mood my ears are in. Currently it's before my amp, mainly as I don't have an fx loop in my amp.

Do whatever works for you is what i say. There are no rules.

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1469903461' post='3101934']

So there's a case for using 2 or more compressors?
[/quote]

Look up Billy Sheehans last Rig Rundown on Premier Guitars You Tube channel. He uses 2 or more compressors...I think :)

Yes. Depends on how you are using each compressor and what you want to achieve.

The compressor on my amp has a single dial that affects level. Everything else; ratio, break point, make up gain etc is fixed. You can have hard knee and soft knee compressors.

Nothing wrong with compressing the signal going into your fx loop and then compressing it again after it has been subjected to all the effects.

After all, that's what happens in the studio. Compressed at source, then the final mix will be compressed as well. Then it'll all be compressed again when the radio plays it.

It's not surprising people can't find their 'tone'.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469899369' post='3101907']
Depends what your trying to do with it.

I'd start with EQ -> Comp -> FX.

But also try putting it right in front of the Amp.

Use your ears. :)
[/quote]
I've got the same EBS Multicomp and i put it in the send and return rather than direct in with the bass. No scientific reason for this - just trial and error.

I took a chance on buying a Spectracomp compressor as I'd liked the one on the BH500 head which is sold. Not looking back, it's a great across the spectrum unit! Only problem is every little bum note can be heard :-) My other half says she hasn't heard me so clearly in all the time she's been coming to gigs, especially the individual notes not just the low end rumble! Horses for courses, doesn't work for everyone, it does for me!!

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1469977154' post='3102402']
I took a chance on buying a Spectracomp compressor as I'd liked the one on the BH500 head which is sold. Not looking back, it's a great across the spectrum unit! Only problem is every little bum note can be heard :-) My other half says she hasn't heard me so clearly in all the time she's been coming to gigs, especially the individual notes not just the low end rumble! Horses for courses, doesn't work for everyone, it does for me!!
[/quote]
With you on that Barney. I thought i had a good sound! The compressor has really opened things up in terms of the clarity, especially basslines that have a lot of notes in them, chords, octaves, slap.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469865778' post='3101539']
It is funny how a popular opinion or trend gets picked up on here and comes back completely different after a while.
It happens quite a lot here and this is one of those subjects.
Never used it, never needed to.
In studio and out front are places that the engr will likely address, but I don't see any point for backline.

Where do you put it in the signal chain?
[/quote]

There's no engineers or backline in US bars.😁

Blue