Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='burno70' post='812705' date='Apr 20 2010, 04:17 PM']It can happen the other way around too. Sometimes I'll get a wicked tone/noise when I'm practicing on me jack but when I take it to a sesh with the band it just gets swallowed up and loses it's impact.[/quote]

that happens to me with every distortion i use! but ive kinda learn't when i can kick it in and it be heard underneath the band mix.

ill get some pics of mine not as impressive as most of the ones on here tho!

andy

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='812145' date='Apr 20 2010, 01:51 AM']Hey, just happened to fall across your band on Myspace/Facebook, and I knew I recognised that pedalboard! You still rocking this thing or have you made any changes recently? Great session from This Dirty Basement by the way.[/quote]
Cheers man, I've made a few little changes to the board, I'll get some pictures up asap

Gah. I have a totally rockin' pedalboard. It looks beautiful (IMO), it is tidy and everything is easily accessible, and all the pedals on it are good quality and sound pretty good to my ears. Over the last week or so, I've really been missing have separate pedals again, after ditching my behemoth board for an M9 and a few extra bits :) I don't want to go back to a bigger board, but I also don't want to get rid of my M9, as I've grown to love some effects and some of the functionality in it that I can't replicate well in single pedals. It all works fine and sounds fine, I'm just feeling like I'm missing something.

Arse.

I also think that if Line 6 created a pedal version of their Particle Verb, it would sell. And so would a Whammy modeller with user definabe presets, like the Pitch Glide in the M9. It'd be like a PS-5 but better. They're two of the M9's revelations for me, as well as being able to assign an expression pedal to ANY perameter of ANY effect at ANY time. That would be hard to live without now!

Edited by Finbar

I know how you feel. Its a vicious cycle and my individual pedals are slowly growing again.

The M9 for me was planned to cut down my pedalboard too, and it generally has. Then I started to fill up again with various dirt pedals to go alongside the M9. While most of it worked i didnt like the order of my new board. Like I wanted two of the options on my M9 first, then some dirt, then some more on the M9, then one or two pedals at the end, blah blah. That starting making me want individual pedals back so I could get the order exactly how I wanted, but I really dont want a huge pedalboard again because of the hassle.

Current board I just wired up.

X2>DT-10>Octamizer>Cream Pie>Prunes and Custard>XBlender>SFT>Prometheus>Analogman

Swollen Pickle Clone>MSD Wah in the XBlender loop.

Line 6 Echo Park plugged in off the side for home jamming.

This may have been mentioned (i have not read through all 85 pages!) but some of those pedal boards must be worth more than the basses ? Some of those boards are so complicated, even more wires that the back of my computer/audio visual/tv setup, and thats saying something.

ps: anyone have any old pedals they dont want send them my way, im not proud.

pps: how does JJ burnell get his sound ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='burno70' post='825190' date='May 1 2010, 09:58 PM']Lovely board Higgie - plenty of fun to be had with that![/quote]

Thanks mate, there certainly is! :)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='825231' date='May 1 2010, 11:12 PM']higgie, how are you finding the aguilar compared to something like the ebs or mxr bod?[/quote]

Hi mate, tried the EBS once and didn't like it. Was a very firm advocate of the OC-2, thought I'd never own another Octave pedal. Bought this bad boy on a whim due to all the reviews it was getting and I was sold. Absolutely love it!

[quote name='deej' post='825237' date='May 1 2010, 11:22 PM']Are you using the Cream Pie as a volume boost there?

Ive started to love mine again recently.[/quote]

Not really a volume boost, just a general tone shaper! Gain/Tone on minimum allows me to just fatten my sound and add a touch of grit. Great pedals!

[quote name='Finbar' post='826120' date='May 3 2010, 01:42 AM']Not with pedals.[/quote]

i have just looked it up. He uses Rotosouind trubass black nylon strings on his very heavy Pecision bass. He also sometimes used a delay pedal.

This is how my board is looking today: (4/5/10).
Aiming to get a better Compressor and Envelope filter an power supply in the not to distant future, as of what yet is unknown (and a pedal train at some point would be nice as well, but for now the DIY Jobie is doing fine.

BASS - Tuner - Compressor - Overdrive - Octave devider - Chorus - Envelope filter - Delay - AMP.

Edited by danny-79

[quote name='danny-79' post='827856' date='May 4 2010, 08:33 PM']This is how my board is looking today: (4/5/10).
Aiming to get a better Compressor and Envelope filter an power supply in the not to distant future, as of what yet is unknown (and a pedal train at some point would be nice as well, but for now the DIY Jobie is doing fine.

BASS - Tuner - Compressor - Overdrive - Octave devider - Chorus - Envelope filter - Delay - AMP.[/quote]

Extremely good looking board!

yeh, nice one, you could probably fit one of those little clean blender on there as well, it should give you more punch.

You know if you plug into the other output on the echohead, the delays fade out even after you've turned off the pedal, which sounds more natural to me.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='828214' date='May 5 2010, 10:06 AM']yeh, nice one, you could probably fit one of those little clean blender on there as well, it should give you more punch.

You know if you plug into the other output on the echohead, the delays fade out even after you've turned off the pedal, which sounds more natural to me.[/quote]

Never even tried or thought about that ??? (using the other output)
Will give it a go and let you no how it goes ,
Thanks for the tip.

First PYPB post! At the moment the wiring is very messy but this is basically a test setup. I intend to tidy it all up before it sees any real use with the band. I know it's not all boutique-ey like some of the boards on here, but it does what I need it to at the moment. I'm already thinking about switching out some pedals though, especially the Muff.

Signal Chain:

Bass > NS-2 > Tuner > Amp

[NS-2 Send] > LS-2 > [NS-2 Return]

[LS-2 Send A] > BSW > FM-4 > DS-1 > BF-2 > Pulsar > Time Machine > SMMwH Left > [LS-2 Return A]

[LS-2 Send B] > OC-2 > LBM > Q-Tron > PH-3 > SMMwH Right > [LS-2 Return B]

LS-2 is set to Mix A+B, so the two loops run in parallel for blending different sounds together.

Night Shot:

Edited by happynoj

I know i'm the one always asking for night shots, but that's because the "day shot" is kind of a given.

EDIT: Lol, I said that becase the first pic didn't load! Damn it. That looks like a fun board!

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='833803' date='May 10 2010, 11:47 PM']Happynoj, how do you rate the FM-4? I've read a few reviews but I'm still umming and ahhing about taking the plunge.[/quote]

Personally, I love it. I bought it totally on a whim. I'd been in the recording studio for 7 hours helping my friend track some drums for his album and I went out for a bit of a walk and ended up at a music shop. They had that in as 'B-Stock'. I asked about it, and it turned out that it had been ordered from their website and the guy tried it out once, didn't like it and returned it in perfect condition, but they weren't allowed to sell it as new so I got a bit of a bargain. I played with it a bit when I got it home and thought that it was OK but nothing special.

However, since setting up my board and working out what sounds I'm going to use with the band it has really come into it's own. I've got the first preset set up to be a really phat synthy octave down, the second is the weird swampy sound that Chris Wolstenholme uses on the live version of Sunburn, the third makes a really good basis for dubstep sounds, and the fourth is this crazy down sweeping synth/filter that almost hurts it's so intense. I'm using it in a lot more places than I originally thought I would, since our live sound is much bigger and louder and dirtier than our recorded sound, so originally I wasn't quite sure whether it would fit in. It's also got a ton of sounds that I'm not using.

Tracking isn't too bad, although it depends on which patch you're using. It's not great on the low notes, but speed-wise it's fine as long as your playing is clean and precise - probably comparable with the OC-2.

I can't think of other things to say right now, but if there are things that I didn't cover then point them out to me and I'll address them as best I can.

Cheers for that, that's answered a lot of questions for me.

Yeah my only really concern was how strong the tracking is, I wouldn't need it for the octave down, so just as long as the filters are strong I'd probably still be interested. I can't afford one right now anyway, I'm gonna have to wait til the Summer when I'm not at Uni. Having four different presets really appeals to me, I've already got a Bass Synth Wah, don't use it live, but considering the number of filter effects that I want to use, changing the settings would be tedious, and it's fairly limited in comparison to the FM-4 anyway...

Sounds like you've got some sick settings figured out to me, I'll have to steal them from you if I get one :) especially 3 and 4! The size of the thing doesn't concern me, seems like it's worth the pedalboard space to me. I'm really hoping to move towards playing more live electronic music as a side project this summer, so hopefully having an FM-4 would have my filters covered.

EDIT: Forgot to say, just noticed you're the live Bassist for Charlie Barnes! Good times, I've seen him support Amplifier at the Manchester Academy twice now, it'd be good to see him with a bigger band, great guy, great music.

Edited by EskimoBassist