Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I've found the best way to set up the Prometheus for Mutron style sounds is:

LP
Envelope Up
Intensity on full

Then, as you know, the Prometheus can be set up like a static filter. Turn the Depth all the way down, then use the frequency knob to select the frequency you want. I use this to set up how much sweep I want. Turn the Freq. knob until you are pleased with where you would like the cut off point to be, then you can turn the Depth up until the envelope suits your playing style. I personally have Freq. about 11 oclock, and Depth at around 10ish. Then just back off the Intensity knob (or not, depends what you're going for!) until you're happy with the ratio of filter:clean.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

[quote name='deej' post='774615' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:53 PM']I see you're not using the SFT in the blend loop, so im guessing it sits in the mix ok? Ive been looking whether to get that pedal but i keep hearing mixed things about it. Id probably be using it more on the low gain side I think.[/quote]

Actually, the SFT is a pain to use in a blend loop because it inverts the phase of your signal! For low gain tones it sounds great by itself anyway.

Heres my board, only started it a few weeks ago, using a Behringer PB1000

Boss Chromatic Tuner
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Boss Gynamic Wah AW-3
Boss Fuzz FZ-5
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
EHX Holy Stain

Soon to be added, EHX Q-Tron, Zvex Wooly Mammoth & Dunlop Cry Baby

Basses: Squier Jazz Vintage Modified in C#, Fender Mex '70s Jazz Bass

Amp: Ashdown MAG300 Combo with 2x10

[quote name='cheddatom' post='783596' date='Mar 23 2010, 03:57 PM']Do you not loose low end with the Fuzz Factory?

EDIT: What do you use the EHX Holy Stain for?[/quote]

Heyyy, I tend to use the Fuzz Factory and Phase 90 together, gives a very very Evil sound, Holy stain is actually pretty fun, I use it for either Room reverb clean or with Fuzz which is also packed in the pedal with a dark tone.

I Play alot of Doom/Drone stuff as well as my main band Playing desert rock type of stuff, I can just get some nice fuzzy goodness!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='783619' date='Mar 23 2010, 04:13 PM']I would have thought the FF would destroy your low end. Can you do sound clips?[/quote]

Not really got a rubbish phone that is pants for recordings, we have a 16 track at practice so Ill put down a sound clip on their through the week and get it up on youtube, so give me a while and hopefully you shall recieve!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='783619' date='Mar 23 2010, 04:13 PM']I would have thought the FF would destroy your low end. Can you do sound clips?[/quote]

Doesn't mean it's not fun, I played with one and it reminded me of the first time i used a whammy ( i spent about 10 minutes just making woo-woo noises), I might buy one if i've got some cash to throw around

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='783621' date='Mar 23 2010, 04:15 PM']Doesn't mean it's not fun, I played with one and it reminded me of the first time i used a whammy ( i spent about 10 minutes just making woo-woo noises), I might buy one if i've got some cash to throw around[/quote]

Yeh I mean it does keep alot of low end, but it does really depend on how you have it setup, keep the Gate, Copm and Drive past the 12 o'clock position with the stab at about 9 o'clock and your laughing!

But I really love the Holystain, if your looking for a neat little mulit effect which packs a punch I'd sanp it up, only paid about £35 for it as well, if your into atmospheric sounds its a killer!

[quote name='DesertBunker' post='783603' date='Mar 23 2010, 04:02 PM']Heyyy, I tend to use the Fuzz Factory and Phase 90 together, gives a very very Evil sound, Holy stain is actually pretty fun, I use it for either Room reverb clean or with Fuzz which is also packed in the pedal with a dark tone.

I Play alot of Doom/Drone stuff as well as my main band Playing desert rock type of stuff, I can just get some nice fuzzy goodness![/quote]

Regarding the FF - Can it do that insane sorta feedbacky sound?

I spoke to Max at sfx and we discussed building one that would work at bass freqs.

If i can make space on the board once its tidied then i might give it a go and see.

[quote name='woodyratm' post='783659' date='Mar 23 2010, 04:47 PM']Regarding the FF - Can it do that insane sorta feedbacky sound?

I spoke to Max at sfx and we discussed building one that would work at bass freqs.

If i can make space on the board once its tidied then i might give it a go and see.[/quote]

Best bet would be to go for a Wooly Mammoth for that horrible feedback sound, the Fuzz Facorty does give a nice drone feedback, but the Wooly Mammoth is just evil!

Cheers Higgie - that seems to work!!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='780857' date='Mar 20 2010, 03:34 PM']Know what you mean - I bought a Haz Mutron and shifted it on because it was massive!!

I bought a Subdecay Prometheus for some funky squelch but have to admit that it is playing second fiddle to the Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk Mark II at the moment.

Can you give me some idea of the knob settings you use on the Prometheus to get a squelchy Mutron type sound?[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I can't see this changing for a while now. I don't think I've got the room to add anything to it, and I'm pretty happy with everything that's there!

My phone's rubbish for taking photos, I know.

The chain is...

X2
Volume pedal (Turbo Tuner is in the tuner out)
SFX loop/boost/EQ box (Single knob Hyperpak clone with added blend and drive knobs is in the FX loop)
Line 6 M9 (second pedal is the expression pedal for this)
Okko FX Coca Comp

The pink pedal is an FX Doctor Cease Transmission. It's great fun, makes some really stupid noises, and it's plugged into the second input on the M9.

[quote name='Finbar' post='794520' date='Apr 2 2010, 06:25 PM']The pink pedal is an FX Doctor Cease Transmission. It's great fun, makes some really stupid noises, and it's plugged into the second input on the M9.[/quote]

That certainly looks like it ticks the boxes when you were looking for options in that stupid noise pedal thread a while back.

Yeah, pretty much. Combined with the world of possibilities the M9 gives after it, it's a pretty neat little pedal. Only downside is it will only take batteries, and I don't know how long it lasts for :) I can see me forgetting to switch it off. Took long enough to get hold of though.

[quote name='Finbar' post='794563' date='Apr 2 2010, 07:19 PM']Only downside is it will only take batteries, and I don't know how long it lasts for :) I can see me forgetting to switch it off.[/quote]

Depends on how you're powering the rest of your board but would one of these work?

[url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/visual-sound-1-spot-battery-clip-converter--49275"]http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/visu...onverter--49275[/url]

I know it works with a one spot PSU, but not sure if it'll be the same for others.

[quote name='Finbar' post='796365' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:03 AM']It's something to do with the grounding of the pedal that means it has to use a battery I think :)[/quote]

Voila! [url="http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_Virtual_Battery.html"]Virtual Battery BC[/url]:

I'll definitely look into it. Like I say, I'm not sure how if the pedal can cope with it, as it works with a touch sensitive button. If you touch other metal things, it stops. And if someone touches you, the note changes. It's really sensitive like that!

Just finished my new board off so thought I would share some pictures.

Chain is as follows:

Bass into TC Electronics Polytune - Catalinbread Serrano Picoso (clean boost which I use with the 74 jazz bass) - EBS Octabass - EBS Bass IQ - Subdecay Prometheus - signal then splits with a feed into the Chunk Sytems Brown Dog input and also the Envelope in on the Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk Mark II (this enable me to use the 00 Funk as an envelope filter in it's own right - output from Brown Dog then goes into the input of the 00 Funk - EBS Multi Comp and finally to the EBS UniChorus and then to the input on my Aguilar AG500.

All housed in a Pedaltrain PT2 with hard flight case which is big but very protective!