Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote]Thats a nice neat board there.

How do you use your noise box? Ive had one for a little while but havnt really had the time to experiment with it much yet. I cant decide whether to keep it or not.[/quote]

The other pedals are the "serious" ones. I was going to put my Bottomfeeder there, but I'm not 100% with its sound so I put my Noisebox there instead. When I first got it I didn't give it all the time it deserved and nearly sold it after a week. Tried using it in a band context before getting to grips and it was terrible. However, I personally think the trick to taming it is to roll the volume back on whatever instrument you're running into it. I tend to use it for glitchy, broken Nintendo sounds by running the volume knob to the point where only a minute bit of signal is coming through and set the filter sensitivity to maximum... that way I can control the envelop filter side with my volume knob as appropriate :rolleyes: Seriously, it took me months to really appreciate all the different sounds I could squeeze out of it with experimentation. Only thing I wish I could do (if I had the room) would be to run it in the blend loop of the Xblender and put a volume pedal before it. That way I could get controlled, lo-fi synth sounds alongside my clean bass. Well... maybe one day :lol:

[quote]One man's "neat board" is another man's "room for more pedals"! wink.gif[/quote]

Very valid argument, and believe me, it's hard to tell myself that this board is complete. I kind of got sick of constantly moving pedals around and pedal collecting is a very expensive hobby... plus most music I play doesn't demand the use of effects as such, I just use a touch here and there sparingly to enhance certain songs, or if the song actually NEEDS a certain sound. Plus I had a George L patch lead break on me mid-gig before and It was impossible to tell which one because I had loads of pedals and wires about. This way all my wiring is neat (albeit vulnerable), visible and easy to get to. Also just tried to mount the Fuel Tank underneith the board. It fits, but it sits in too deep between the railings so there's not enough room to fit the power plugs in... although it would work if I just put a bit of foam or something to lift it away from the board a bit... that way I could fit more on the board :)

[quote]What's the Abunai 2 like on bass?[/quote]

Not that great due to a lack of low end. Very typical tubescreamer clone with a 3 way clipping switch (symetrical, asymetrical and no clipping). I really like the grind it gives on the higher frequencies though and playing my Rickenbacker through it with a pick sounds really sweet on a low gain setting. But the low-end problem is pretty much sorted thanks to the Xblender, although I may get a better TS clone in the future like a Xotic BB preamp.

[quote]You know those Abunai 2's are worth about 3x what you paid in Japan, right? smile.gif[/quote]

O rly? I think I paid about £90 when I bought it from Tonefactor a few years ago (mostly been using it for guitar until I got the blender). Noticed on guitarguitar's site it's listed at £150. As usual, Toasted, you never cease to impress me with your plethora of fx-orientated knowledge called your brain :lol:

Very nice board btw, Alex :lol:

[quote name='BigBassBob' post='740221' date='Feb 9 2010, 06:08 PM']Also just tried to mount the Fuel Tank underneith the board. It fits, but it sits in too deep between the railings so there's not enough room to fit the power plugs in... although it would work if I just put a bit of foam or something to lift it away from the board a bit... that way I could fit more on the board :)[/quote]

I've seen guys cut out part of the railings on PTs to get the larger power supplies underneath. Seems to work quite well if you're willing to butcher your PT.

I notice some guys on Talkbass do that, but I don't have the right tools for the job and I'm not really keen on the thought of cutting chunks out of my pedaltrain. Part of the reason I got it was because I liked how solid it was.

Anyways, here's the final photos:

Pretty chuffed with it at the moment :rolleyes: Can't wait to bring it to a band situation and see how it fares.

Also, I was playing around with the Noisebox (as usual) and found a nice synth tone with a low volume setting (enough to trigger the filter if played hard, but played soft it was very tame). I was rather impressed with it until I turned on the Xblender with the Voodoobass on (mix 50/50). Suddenly, there was this thick, PHAT, usable synth sound... the harshness of the Noisebox was subdued and the overall sound was full, rich and shockingly authentic (had a Deep Impact that I sold to Higgie ages ago because I thought it sounded too digital and basically gave up on bass synth pedals). And it tracked fast enough to play Hysteria with it :) Just hope I can get that sound again and upload a recording of it.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='740158' date='Feb 9 2010, 05:07 PM']After a spot of buying and selling in December and January I now have a second smaller board.

[/quote]

That's probably the best PT Mini set up I've seen! Squash em up side by side as close as you can and I reckon you can get an octaver on there as well :)

[quote name='Higgie' post='741673' date='Feb 11 2010, 04:17 AM']That's probably the best PT Mini set up I've seen! Squash em up side by side as close as you can and I reckon you can get an octaver on there as well :)[/quote]

Cheers Higgie. I've got an Octave Multiplexer but it's just a bit too big. Maybe I'll have a look around for something smaller. I may put my Phase 90 on there for the time being. Need to get my tetris skills on.

Edited by alexharvay

[quote name='M4L666' post='745620' date='Feb 15 2010, 10:31 AM']How is your looper set up, BottomEndian?[/quote]
Loop 1: Bass Big Muff
Loop 2: Digitech Grunge --> Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B
So I can switch back and forth between the fuzzes of my choice.

The rest of the chain: IN --> Turbo Tuner --> Loooper (as above) --> EHX Enigma --> Boss Bass Chorus --> Maxon CP-9 Pro+ compressor --> huge DHA box o' tubes --> OUT

[quote name='sk8' post='749291' date='Feb 18 2010, 09:08 AM']my current one

[url="http://s420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/?action=view&current=18022010459.jpg"][/url]

Although i have bought a few singles recently............[/quote]

I'm getting one of those soon, anything I should know about?

Edited by M4L666

OK, first things first, this is a work in progress!!! Missing 1 pedal (and the board!!!), but i'm almost done, and I've been itching to post something in this thread for months! So a half-assed 'board' and shoddy camera phone pic will have to do for now! :)

Pretty simple, subtle effects. TU-2 -> electronix crossdrive, -> fulltone bassdrive (running at 18v) -> maxon AD-9 pro -> electronix submarine.

Just needing a nice little 2 stage phaser between the bassdrive and the AD-9. I was gonna go for a mojo hand nebula, but then found out MXR were re-issuing the phase 45 this summer, so I'm gonna have to wait for that! Getting a T-rex pedal board to sit this all on if I ever sell the jag I've got in the sale threads!!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='761348' date='Mar 1 2010, 11:19 PM']Here's mine at the moment:

[/quote]

nice - how's the seekwah for bass working out? i've never used one, but always fancied trying, sounds interesting. oh, and no chance i'll be selling that crossdrive - it's awesome! :rolleyes:

oh, and thanks to a quick sale of my jag, i'm picking up a t-rex pedalboard this week, so will update the lame 'pedals on a piece of paper' picture soon! :)

[quote name='GazWills' post='762038' date='Mar 2 2010, 05:58 PM']nice - how's the seekwah for bass working out? i've never used one, but always fancied trying, sounds interesting.[/quote]

I really like it, I mainly use it to add rhythmic ideas. Alot of people would probably complain about low end loss but for what I use it for, it's great.

Just put all my pedals together for a laugh. Kept me amused for a while :)

Dont use half of them really.

Signal was:

Aphex PF > DHA > 105q > ABY=

A= Modded DS-1, Bogdan, DOD, Modded BM, Guvnor > Superfly Amp > Eden 2x10
B= Nano BB > SYB-5 > CEB-3 > Whammy > 3Pro > 1x15.

Pointless, yet fun. :rolleyes:

Biggest penis collection? Bizarre and totally off-topic story, a teacher friend had a colleague who spent his free time collecting insect penises, specifically beetles I believe. He used to spend his weekend hunting for beetles that he had not yet collected, cut off their penis, identify the type of beetle by the penis (as that is supposedly how you do it?), and pin it on a board with the rest of his collection. I believe his collection numbered in the 1000s.

Most tragic part of the story? He is married with kids.