Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

33 minutes ago, SimonK said:

Just out of interest - why would you use a FreqOut on a bass? I use it on my electric guitar pedalboard for doing Jimmy Hendrix style solos when you want to mimic an amp feeding back on sustained notes, but I would never do this on a bass!

Because I play a 5 string 28.6" scale bass, tuned in G standard tuning, as in 3 half steps above the 5 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning.

And I really play it more as sort of a 5 string bass/baritone guitar hybrid, or like you would a Bass VI type instrument.

And I plan to use it with a TC Electronic Ditto X4 Looper pedal, as the main instrumentation, with a backing track of drums/percussion, and more flavor oriented additional instrumentation. 

And this setup will be used for my drone/ambient project as well.

I also plan to sometimes use the FreqOut in conjunction with the Sub'N'Up, which is loaded with the Organ Emulator patch, and both those sometimes in conjunction with the Sample Sustainer

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Because I play a 5 string 28.6" scale bass, tuned in G standard tuning, as in 3 half steps above the 5 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning.

And I really play it more as a 5 string sort of bass/baritone guitar hybrid, or like you would a Bass VI type instrument.

And plan to use it with a TC Electronic Ditto X4 Looper pedal, as the main instrumentation, with a backing track of drums/percussion, and more flavor oriented additional instrumentation. 

And I plan to use this setup for my drone/ambient project as well.

I also plan to sometimes use the FreqOut in conjunction with the Sub'N'Up, which is loaded with the Organ Emulator patch.

Wow that told me 🙂 ! Makes "in the pocket" bass lines sound quite mundane!!

• Like 1

Just now, SimonK said:

Wow that told me 🙂 ! Makes "in the pocket" bass lines sound quite mundane!!

Really I could see the FreqOut being used for somewhat more traditional bass playing too, the same way as people use synth pedals to sound like a synth bass.

The FreqOut can be used for much more than simply emulating feedback. 

On 25/02/2024 at 20:28, lee650 said:

Had a bit of a reshuffle and went to a slightly smaller board. Gone from a classic 2 to a metro 24. The following is the signal path.

Bight onion patchbox

Sadowsky SBP1 DI/Preamp, (Donner tuner in the tuner output)

SFX Micro Thumpinator- (under the board)to get rid of the subsonics 25 Hz and below, helps tighten the low end.

FEA Optifet compressor- The ultimate pedal compressor, cali 76 and Diamond compressor sounds and more, a beauty 

Boss Ls2 - Back to patchbox and two loops to switch between.

Channel A- source Audio C4 synth, six different Synth/ octave/filter/Bit crusher tones 

Channel B

Aguilar Octamizer- fantastic tone with filter for octave and tilt EQ for the clean tone, tracks well.

Cog Tarkin Fuzz- amazing Creamey Fuzz based on the green Russian Big muff, with a filtered clean blend (only clean lows) and mid control, and best name ever.

EBS Bass IQ- latest blue label version, tons of variety and a funky analogue sound.

Subdecay Baby Quasar phaser, great Analog phaser with plenty of control. 

TC Corona mini chorus - Tons of toneprints, currently on the "sweet emotion" setting

20240224_170806.jpg

Had another reshuffle and had to sacrifice the EBS filter to buy a fretless 🤪 I'm using the C4 to cover filters, but I'm damned if I can find a decent downsweep on it, especially to match the EBS.

The cog went for the same reason, but I replaced it with a very groovy looking Fuzzrocious Grey stache, Is a much more aggressive sound than I'm used too and it has a tendency to feedback. I found the Cog behaved better and I miss the clean blend. Oh well the fretless is great 🤣

20240410_153400.jpg

• Like 2

My updated board centred around the Helix HX Stomp. Shamelessly stole the midi controller idea from someone on here who was selling a similar setup (apologies, I can't remember the name). Thought this was me done for a while but I've been having some minor issues with the Boss WL-50 (probably down to the 2 guitarists in the band subsequently buying the exact same bit of kit). So may upgrade that at some point.

2024-04-1318_16_08.thumb.jpg.5be398dbe2375202334b3be5d8b66166.jpg

• Like 3

On 26/04/2024 at 11:46, lee650 said:

Had another reshuffle and had to sacrifice the EBS filter to buy a fretless 🤪 I'm using the C4 to cover filters, but I'm damned if I can find a decent downsweep on it, especially to match the EBS.

The cog went for the same reason, but I replaced it with a very groovy looking Fuzzrocious Grey stache, Is a much more aggressive sound than I'm used too and it has a tendency to feedback. I found the Cog behaved better and I miss the clean blend. Oh well the fretless is great 🤣

20240410_153400.jpg

Nice board Lee! Know what you mean about the EBS filter. I've recently got one and I can't recall another filter pedal that's done such a good job for the money for me. I like it as much as my previous 3Leaf Proton Mk4 and it's a fraction of the price. The Q dial adds a really nice touch.

On 26/04/2024 at 11:46, lee650 said:

20240410_153400.jpg

Great stuff! Loving the Star Wars nod too!

• Like 1

Another change over for me... I wanted that amp like quality to my cleans tone but not my synth stuff...

Enter: Joyo Tidal Wave and Joyo Orthros Selector!

Was hoping to take advantage of the two outputs on the ultrawave and have it in both chains, but it hasn't quite worked as I'd hoped.

Signal chain is

Korg tuner > Demonfx Call76 > Joyo Orthros selector (set A/B) > Source Audio Bass Zio

Loop A (cleans): Source Audio C4 (for filters and phases) > Source audio Ultrawave (for overdrive and fuzzes > Joyo Monomyth > Joyo Tidal Wave

Loop B (Synthy): 3 Leaf Octabvre Mini > Source Audio C4 (w/ tap tempo) > Source Audio Ultrawave 

I'm not 100% sold on the Tidal Wave until I gig it, but it has reaffirmed that I need more of a coloured tone on my cleans

20240501_011004.jpg

Edited by thisisswanbon
  • Like 2

Updated board. Graphic EQ out and Cali76 in. Also pulled the Sledgehammer so I have easier access to the front row while trying to sing and play bass at the same time. Meathead also reversed for easier access.

Will this alone for a while but always a possibility of a Rat or Muff type getting squeezed in there again.

PXL_20240418_121501548~2.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Another change over for me... I wanted that amp like quality to my cleans tone but not my synth stuff...

Enter: Joyo Tidal Wave and Joyo Orthros Selector!

Was hoping to take advantage of the two outputs on the ultrawave and have it in both chains, but it hasn't quite worked as I'd hoped.

Signal chain is

Korg tuner > Demonfx Call76 > Joyo Orthros selector (set A/B) > Source Audio Bass Zio

Loop A (cleans): Source Audio C4 (for filters and phases) > Source audio Ultrawave (for overdrive and fuzzes > Joyo Monomyth > Joyo Tidal Wave

Loop B (Synthy): 3 Leaf Octabvre Mini > Source Audio C4 (w/ tap tempo) > Source Audio Ultrawave 

I'm not 100% sold on the Tidal Wave until I gig it, but it has reaffirmed that I need more of a coloured tone on my cleans

20240501_011004.jpg

Oh cool - you using a different side of the c4 for each loop! Neat 

Pulled out the recording board today to rewire the moose sunhammer in and give it some sunlight and a quick run-through. 

Such a killer board, but it is so heavy...

20240502_141035.thumb.jpg.83630b015faaca6df450d5890e76c5a7.jpg

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 5

On 30/04/2024 at 18:42, lidl e said:

Not sure this will last because i moved my favourite distortion to get the paraeq on, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. 

20240430_183943.jpg

I also had an epiphany in rehearsal last night.

I always put the DMC micro in front, but it's a bit taller than allcthe other pedals so inevitably I'd switch channels or turn other pedals on or off while using it.

I decided last night i didnt really need the DMC, i could just use 6 onboard presets for shows

Then it hit me. Put the DMC at the top. It's tall enough with the pedal toppers i can use it without disturbing the other pedals. 

It also gives me much better access to C4 expression input and the dmc expression input so i can simlutaneoisly control both the plethora and the C4 with the source audio dual exp pedal

This setup is perfect! I cant forsee any major changes bar MAYBE a different distortion.

Love it!

20240502_141801.thumb.jpg.f6e3624b731b4dc1a37823dfd19b4570.jpg

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I also had an epiphany in rehearsal last night.

I always put the DMC micro in front, but it's a bit taller than allcthe other pedals so inevitably I'd switch channels or turn other pedals on or off while using it.

I decided last night i didnt really need the DMC, i could just use 6 onboard presets for shows

Then it hit me. Put the DMC at the top. It's tall enough with the pedal toppers i can use it without disturbing the other pedals. 

It also gives me much better access to C4 expression input and the dmc expression input so i can simlutaneoisly control both the plethora and the C4 with the source audio dual exp pedal

This setup is perfect! I cant forsee any major changes bar MAYBE a different distortion.

Love it!

20240502_141801.thumb.jpg.f6e3624b731b4dc1a37823dfd19b4570.jpg

Nice! What does it sound like? 😀

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nice! What does it sound like? 😀

People dont listen if i post clips! :(

Sounds like a feckin jet aeroplane flying 40 feet above while on acid...

• Haha 1