Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I always found phasers to be a bit weak on basses. I love them on guitars, but on the bass they seem often a bit passive.

It's taken me a while to find one I like and surprisingly (perhaps?) it's the Behringer Phase Shifter. I have it set quite subtly which could be described as weak, but I find it just thickens the sound a little and gives me a bit of movement. I love a fuller phase sound on guitar and as @stewblack said above, a light distortion does wonders.

• Like 1

Here’s my mini board, all powered with a One Spot Pro underneath. I put this together for some fun at home after watching some of Ian Allison’s videos creating synthy type tones.

I only really use the chorus and Microtubes in the band so it’s farewell to the rest soon, but I do like looking at them 😄

6856CBBC-3A48-4883-902B-F46B3E73486A.jpeg

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, NJE said:

Here’s my mini board, all powered with a One Spot Pro underneath. I put this together for some fun at home after watching some of Ian Allison’s videos creating synthy type tones.

I only really use the chorus and Microtubes in the band so it’s farewell to the rest soon, but I do like looking at them 😄

6856CBBC-3A48-4883-902B-F46B3E73486A.jpeg

Tuner sometimes useful? Or not that kinda band? 

• Like 1

I always look at the interesting boards on here and think it's time for some exotic modulation or something rather than just a board full of preamps and drives.

I just think I've never really gotten my head around time based stuff or flangers etc and how to dial them in rather than not liking them.

Perhaps I'll start with an octave pedal and go from there. I really enjoyed the the MV OFF1, having fuzz made it a little more palatable even if the tracking wasn't incredible. 

23 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

I always look at the interesting boards on here and think it's time for some exotic modulation or something rather than just a board full of preamps and drives.

I just think I've never really gotten my head around time based stuff or flangers etc and how to dial them in rather than not liking them.

Perhaps I'll start with an octave pedal and go from there. I really enjoyed the the MV OFF1, having fuzz made it a little more palatable even if the tracking wasn't incredible. 

I’ve asked on here once or twice what sort of sounds are folk actually getting out of some of these exotic boards and I know most folk are being creative and doing lots of interesting stuff but I never really get board envy. I’m a simple drive and comp guy and this is reflected in my board and mediocre playing 😀

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, krispn said:

I’ve asked on here once or twice what sort of sounds are folk actually getting out of some of these exotic boards and I know most folk are being creative and doing lots of interesting stuff but I never really get board envy. I’m a simple drive and comp guy and this is reflected in my board and mediocre playing 😀

I think we need out own pedalboard thread for those with less appetite for razzmatazz. 

I've got my Mod Dwarf for when I want to zhuzh it up a little with a chorus and some reverb but mostly just end up using it to add more drives 😂

Edited by MrDinsdale

Been dying painfully this week from some awful lurgy. So tomorrow night's board is ready ahead of time. 

It's as basic as can be for me - the phaser covering both its own and flanger duties too. 

No 'wild card' crazy pedals, just the ones I know. Two new signings (chorus and auto wah) getting their first team debuts.

IMG_20230906_132106.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Tuner sometimes useful? Or not that kinda band? 

My sax player can’t play in tune so why should I 😄 

I may just use a clip on tuner, when the pedals make it to practice they usually just sit on the amp as the microtubes stays on all the time and I don’t use anything else really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/09/2023 at 19:33, MrDinsdale said:

I see a lot of bassists going nuts of drives, distortions and fuzzes but personally, whilst I like a bit of drive, for me the chorus is the must have effect. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

I see a lot of bassists going nuts of drives, distortions and fuzzes but personally, whilst I like a bit of drive, for me the chorus is the must have effect. 

That's fair enough. Chorus isn't typically on my go to list, not sure it's got much application in the band but really need to spend more time experimenting. 

On 05/09/2023 at 20:33, MrDinsdale said:

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

That's fair enough. Chorus isn't typically on my go to list, not sure it's got much application in the band but really need to spend more time experimenting. 

I am not particular fond of choruses either, but I love the right flanger pedal dialed in to deliver a subtle flanging effect to sort of sound like a more exotic more shimmering and ethereal kind of chorus, and a lush phaser with a deep quacking swirl, or even better such a phaser mixed in parallel with such a flanger, for a mystical oriental sort of vibe, perfect for playing riffs in harmonic minor, phrygian dominant/phrygian minor (also known as the Spanish Flamenco scale) and the double harmonic scale (also known as the Byzantine scale) and that sort of exotic oriental vibe.  

Tremolo can be beautiful too for slow melodic parts.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am not particular fond of choruses either, but I love the right flanger pedal dialed in to deliver a subtle flanging effect to sort of sound like a more exotic more shimmering and ethereal kind of chorus, and a lush phaser with a deep quacking swirl, or even better such a phaser mixed in parallel with such a flanger, for a mystical oriental sort of vibe, perfect for playing riffs in harmonic minor, phrygian dominant/phrygian minor (also known as the Spanish Flamenco scale) and the double harmonic scale (also known as the Byzantine scale) and that sort of exotic oriental vibe.  

Tremolo can be beautiful too for slow melodic parts.

I think after distortion my favourite pedals are reverb, to give a little extra on lead lines and intros 

Here's my new (almost) All Boss board

IMG_9422.thumb.jpg.37e06ddab1f5fcef10ae3f21475c8fbe.jpg

IMG_9424.thumb.jpg.7b42450d62b3d3a3b47adb92c9e0d0ce.jpg

I have replaced my Pedaltrain nano plus with a Harley Benton Spaceship Power 50C. This has the PSU with isolated 9v outputs built into the board and it connects to the mains via a kettle lead. Some of the outputs can be switched to 12 or 18V, and it has USB-A & USB-C outputs on the back for charging your phone etc. The bag it comes with is absolutely perfect and it also comes with every power adaptor cable you could imagine.

I fitted a Harley Benton SpaceShip Pedalboard Blue LED strip to the bottom front of the board as I think it looks rather good.

My boss pedals are

TU-3 tuner

SY-1 Synth - for doubling bass with cool 60s organ

LMB-3 Bass Limiter Enhancer - always on

ODB-3 Bass Overdrive with Monte Allums mod - for when I want to add a bit more dirt to what I already get from my Ashdown ABM600 Evo iv

CEB-3 Bass Chorus - arrived today, I'm sure I'll find a job for it in the setlist

Then half on/half falling off the end the board is my trusty thumpinator. Not sure whether I still need this with the ABM600 though.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 8

Does anyone know if the feet on a Warwick Rockboard are held on using M4 bolts? I think they are but wanted to check as I might put some slightly taller feet on. They certainly look like M4 but they all look like one another after a while.

On 07/09/2023 at 15:33, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Here's my new (almost) All Boss board

IMG_9422.thumb.jpg.37e06ddab1f5fcef10ae3f21475c8fbe.jpg

IMG_9424.thumb.jpg.7b42450d62b3d3a3b47adb92c9e0d0ce.jpg

I have replaced my Pedaltrain nano plus with a Harley Benton Spaceship Power 50C. This has the PSU with isolated 9v outputs built into the board and it connects to the mains via a kettle lead. Some of the outputs can be switched to 12 or 18V, and it has USB-A & USB-C outputs on the back for charging your phone etc. The bag it comes with is absolutely perfect and it also comes with every power adaptor cable you could imagine.

I fitted a Harley Benton SpaceShip Pedalboard Blue LED strip to the bottom front of the board as I think it looks rather good.

My boss pedals are

TU-3 tuner

SY-1 Synth - for doubling bass with cool 60s organ

LMB-3 Bass Limiter Enhancer - always on

ODB-3 Bass Overdrive with Monte Allums mod - for when I want to add a bit more dirt to what I already get from my Ashdown ABM600 Evo iv

CEB-3 Bass Chorus - arrived today, I'm sure I'll find a job for it in the setlist

Then half on/half falling off the end the board is my trusty thumpinator. Not sure whether I still need this with the ABM600 though.

Those boards are so neat - great idea. Really satisfying board, that! Maybe the HPF would fit under the board?

56 minutes ago, ped said:

Does anyone know if the feet on a Warwick Rockboard are held on using M4 bolts? I think they are but wanted to check as I might put some slightly taller feet on. They certainly look like M4 but they all look like one another after a while.

I’ve just checked and the ones on my Rockboard 2.1 board use the 2mm wrench, which I think is the M4.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

Those boards are so neat - great idea. Really satisfying board, that! Maybe the HPF would fit under the board?

Good idea! I just investigated this and it looks like it's possible to make it fit and possibly plug in the input cable, however there'd  be no room to plug in the output cable 🙁

IMG_9431.thumb.jpeg.ab0597c04b59eb595cc3769d9bffc730.jpeg

I bought a couple of Rockboard 2.0 and 2.1s recently. The 2.0s are travel boards to be stored in the 2.1 flight case with a pair of headphones and cables.

I was wondering what to do with the now homeless 2.1s and, owing to my desk now being taken over by working-from-home equipment, I found my answer. I needed a way to quickly move my usual recording set up back and forth so the 2.1s have now been put to use for a clean tone board (Broughton BBA, mini tuner, compressor and preamp), and my pedal testing board. In case anyone is wondering about the gap between the Stomp and the Element, it's to allow me to choose whether to run it as a full board or to take the cables out (which wouldn't be possible with a smaller gap) and run them to another pedal when I'm testing it.

Rockboards.thumb.jpg.77af55d6da1bdef6ae3a3c35102f8bd5.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Good idea! I just investigated this and it looks like it's possible to make it fit and possibly plug in the input cable, however there'd  be no room to plug in the output cable 🙁

IMG_9431.thumb.jpeg.ab0597c04b59eb595cc3769d9bffc730.jpeg

Maybe it would fit sideways with the input cable fitting in a gap between your boss pedals? You could put it before the chorus so the output from the cabin is ‘on top’ again

Finally got around to putting all my pedals on one board. FX and tuner all used to be on my nano+ but going in-ears I got a Markbass pre. Then came the lekato page turner for my iPad. DI box is for tracks/ click. All fitting on a classic junior, way easier to set up now and proving reliable🤞

IMG_3915.jpeg

• Like 5