Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='979950' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:58 PM']What's with the taped-on lumps on the Boss pedals?[/quote]
they're used 9v batteries to make the footswitches easier to 'hit' mid song, particularly the ones at the back.

• 2 weeks later...

very jealous of the phaes 45 - i couldn't wait for this to come out in the end (or afford the stupid ebay prices for an original) so got a maxon PT999 earlier this year, which although 4 stage is a pretty similar sound to the 45 IMO (waaay subtler than the phase 90, and lovely and vibe-esque at high speeds)....

your 45 does look ace though, any volume drop noticable when you kick it on?

it works really well with bass on some modes but not so well on others.
The harmony setting is ok, but due to the low frequencies, it seems to struggle tracking wise.
The pitchshifter set for a chorussy type thing sounds great, although perhaps a little digital - might be what you're looking for! It also has a wet/dry blend on the pitch shift mode, so that opens some possibilities too
Where it shines for me is with the s bend mode. 3 octaves down and 4 up available. variable rise and fall time from almost instant jump to a slow sweep. The pedal can be totally self contained - ie you won't need an external exp pedal for the sweep, as the switch is momenary in this mode, and will hold the note you're set to reach until you release it and the pitch will return to normal according to the fall time.
It sits really well in a dense band mix, and is really fun.
in short, get yourself to your local boss dealer and give it a good try!
If you're near London try Stompbox / Effectspowersupplies - really great guys with excellent pricing and a great range of pedals in stock! \ad (!)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='998516' date='Oct 23 2010, 10:30 PM']it works really well with bass on some modes but not so well on others.
The harmony setting is ok, but due to the low frequencies, it seems to struggle tracking wise.
The pitchshifter set for a chorussy type thing sounds great, although perhaps a little digital - might be what you're looking for! It also has a wet/dry blend on the pitch shift mode, so that opens some possibilities too
Where it shines for me is with the s bend mode. 3 octaves down and 4 up available. variable rise and fall time from almost instant jump to a slow sweep. The pedal can be totally self contained - ie you won't need an external exp pedal for the sweep, as the switch is momenary in this mode, and will hold the note you're set to reach until you release it and the pitch will return to normal according to the fall time.
It sits really well in a dense band mix, and is really fun.
in short, get yourself to your local boss dealer and give it a good try!
If you're near London try Stompbox / Effectspowersupplies - really great guys with excellent pricing and a great range of pedals in stock! \ad (!)[/quote]

thanks man i think ill do that!

andy

Apologies for the poor picture. This is what ive thrown together at the moment after downsizing my pt-pro. I had an Aguilar Octamizer and an Agro on there, but they just didnt work for me. The Octamizer cant track a thing (might be my active bass?) and glitches all over the place, and the Agro completely gets lost in the mix and takes all the oomph out of the bass. I dont use octave that much, so im using the one on the M9 instead if i need it, and im using the MXR for my overdrive/distortion.

Not sure on the Groove Regulator or Noise Box either. Theyre partly there to fill the space and give me an option, but I dont know how much i'll use them. Dont know if im happy with this board.

[quote name='deej' post='999083' date='Oct 24 2010, 05:48 PM']

Apologies for the poor picture. This is what ive thrown together at the moment after downsizing my pt-pro. I had an Aguilar Octamizer and an Agro on there, but they just didnt work for me. The Octamizer cant track a thing (might be my active bass?) and glitches all over the place, and the Agro completely gets lost in the mix and takes all the oomph out of the bass. I dont use octave that much, so im using the one on the M9 instead if i need it, and im using the MXR for my overdrive/distortion.

Not sure on the Groove Regulator or Noise Box either. Theyre partly there to fill the space and give me an option, but I dont know how much i'll use them. Dont know if im happy with this board.[/quote]
tidy set-up. some great pedals. :)

not sure about your take on the octamizer though. i use one with my mm sterling and it sounds great. i do crank the bass e.q. and knock back the mids and high, though, as this helps it track better. also playing evenly near the neck seems to work. stick a decent fuzz/distortion after it and some great noises ensue.

i'm after one of those m-80's. my sansamp bddi seemed to lose my tone in the mix.

my groove regulator is proving a challenge at the moment. i'm going to try sticking it at the front of chain instead of the end. it doesn't seem to like too much dirt.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='999120' date='Oct 24 2010, 06:26 PM']tidy set-up. some great pedals. :)

not sure about your take on the octamizer though. i use one with my mm sterling and it sounds great. i do crank the bass e.q. and knock back the mids and high, though, as this helps it track better. also playing evenly near the neck seems to work. stick a decent fuzz/distortion after it and some great noises ensue.

i'm after one of those m-80's. my sansamp bddi seemed to lose my tone in the mix.

my groove regulator is proving a challenge at the moment. i'm going to try sticking it at the front of chain instead of the end. it doesn't seem to like too much dirt.[/quote]

I play a Warwick Thumb and the Octamizer doesnt seem to like it. Used to have a boost pedal before it so I thought it may be that, but nothing changed when I removed it. Im not sure. I love the range of sounds you can get, its just the tracking thats a problem for me.

And I agree about the GR. I dont use an envelope filter much, but when I do I like to run a fuzz into it. The GR doesnt really react well to it though, whether the fuzz is in its loop or not. Sounds great to me as a stand alone filter, but I dont have much use for that in my band.

Im not that big on the M9 one either, but I dont use it often so it gets me by for now.

I never thought much of my OC-2 when I had it, but since trying out a few others, I realise it was a mistake to sell it off.