Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Question: - I'm compiling my first proper board (photos to follow), have bought a Stagg cheapie-thingie, velcroed the pedals down, BUT the velcro to the board is stronger than the glue to the pedals, so the pedals aren't staying in place when I move it.

Any tips? Any recommended velcro with acme ultra-glue?

Cheers

[quote name='Lenny B' post='1000828' date='Oct 26 2010, 09:34 AM']Question: - I'm compiling my first proper board (photos to follow), have bought a Stagg cheapie-thingie, velcroed the pedals down, BUT the velcro to the board is stronger than the glue to the pedals, so the pedals aren't staying in place when I move it.

Any tips? Any recommended velcro with acme ultra-glue?

Cheers[/quote]

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1000855' date='Oct 26 2010, 09:54 AM']This stuff's brilliant. I can lift up a whole PT2 plus pedals just by grabbing two pedals at opposite corners and lifting. Bit of a bugger if you actually want to move stuff around on the board though. :)[/quote]

Oh really? I've some (guitar) pedals as well, so was planning to change things about. The velcro can peel away from the board easily enough can't it?

[quote name='Lenny B' post='1000863' date='Oct 26 2010, 10:00 AM']Oh really? I've some (guitar) pedals as well, so was planning to change things about. The velcro can peel away from the board easily enough can't it?[/quote]
Yeah, I was just messing. :) Mind you, I [i]really[/i] have to put some effort in to get a pedal off (I'm a tiny weakling though). A small square in each corner of a pedal is enough to attach it securely, so a little can go a looong way.

[quote name='The Twickerman' post='1000870' date='Oct 26 2010, 10:05 AM']Is this stuff really any better?[/quote]
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and a thousand times yes. Different league.

Pedaltrain Velcro: open case, pedals everywhere.
Heavy-Duty Velcro: open case, pedals where you left them.

It's that simple. I'd happily turn my board upside down and shake it with the Heavy-Duty stuff on.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1000867' date='Oct 26 2010, 10:02 AM']Yeah, I was just messing. :) Mind you, I [i]really[/i] have to put some effort in to get a pedal off (I'm a tiny weakling though). A small square in each corner of a pedal is enough to attach it securely, so a little can go a looong way.[/quote]

Noted, nice one
Thanks

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1000874' date='Oct 26 2010, 10:08 AM']Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and a thousand times yes. Different league.

Pedaltrain Velcro: open case, pedals everywhere.
Heavy-Duty Velcro: open case, pedals where you left them.

It's that simple. I'd happily turn my board upside down and shake it with the Heavy-Duty stuff on.[/quote]

Have ordered some! Thanks.

I realise that this thread's about to turn into a broken record but I put a 1-inch square in each corner of a Moogerfooger LowPass then left the pedal for 24 hours for the glue to set. I placed the pedal in the wrong position and spent 10 minutes trying to pull it off; I was concerned about bending the metal chassis because it was holding so strongly.

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1001105' date='Oct 26 2010, 01:44 PM']I realise that this thread's about to turn into a broken record but I put a 1-inch square in each corner of a Moogerfooger LowPass then left the pedal for 24 hours for the glue to set. I placed the pedal in the wrong position and spent 10 minutes trying to pull it off; I was concerned about bending the metal chassis because it was holding so strongly.

Dan[/quote]

The problem I find isn't the strength of the velcro hooks, but the velcro glue - which comes away all too easily.

[quote name='The Twickerman' post='1001114' date='Oct 26 2010, 01:51 PM']The problem I find isn't the strength of the velcro hooks, but the velcro glue - which comes away all too easily.[/quote]

Yeah, you won't have to worry about that with the Heavy Duty stuff. When I applied the Heavy Duty stuff I waas cautious to allow the glue time to set in before I tried to hook it to anything. In fact, I'll detail my process:
[list=1]
[*]Remove any stickers from the area you intend to use velcro on
[*]Clean the back of the pedal with and alcohol-based cleaner to remove dirt and oil (I used Surgical Spirit)
[*]Allow the clean areas to dry thoroughly
[*]Cut small pieces of velcro with around 1inch[sup]2[/sup] surface area (for Boss, I used a thin strip at top and bottom and for others a 1''x1'' piece)
[*]Peel off the back and place a piece at the desired location
[*](This is where I get all OTT) Use a pair of closed scissors and run the tip down between each line of hooks, using a firm pressure - This should ensure the glue is thoroughly bonded
[*]Use the handle of the scissors to apply pressure across the entire surface of the velcro - this should ensure the area between the scissor paths is also bonded
[*]Leave for 24 hours at room temperature upside down (so the weight of the pedal presses on the glue)
[/list]

I did this with each pedal after opening my case and seeing about £2000 worth of gear pressing on top of each other.

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1001194' date='Oct 26 2010, 02:58 PM']I used the velcro that came with my PT. I dropped the board while getting it out of the case the other day and caught it abruptly by my expression pedal. Nothing came off. Maybe I got a good batch of velcro.[/quote]

I wish my experience was the same. They never stay put. usually it's the strips pulling away from the frame. And (believe it or not) I did clean the frame with white spirit before attaching the velcro.

My first board! :) just got the PT2 and EHM Memory man with hazarai from my good lady for my birthday!! Great stuff!!

Looking at getting a Pitchblack, and maybe swapping out the blowtorch for something else....but not sure.....definitely got the bug!!! Also thinking about th EHX Freeze.

Using the velcro from the PT2 at the moment, and seems all good - nothing seems to move!!

So the order:
Weeping Demon>VT Bass Deluxe>Blowtorch>TC Nova Modulator>Ehx Memory Man with hazarai....all goes to a shuttle 9 and a coupla barefaced cabs. Love it!! :lol:

[attachment=62556:Pedal_Board.jpg]

:)

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1006207' date='Oct 30 2010, 12:17 PM']My first board! :) just got the PT2 and EHM Memory man with hazarai from my good lady for my birthday!! Great stuff!!

Looking at getting a Pitchblack, and maybe swapping out the blowtorch for something else....but not sure.....definitely got the bug!!! Also thinking about th EHX Freeze.

Using the velcro from the PT2 at the moment, and seems all good - nothing seems to move!!

So the order:
Weeping Demon>VT Bass Deluxe>Blowtorch>TC Nova Modulator>Ehx Memory Man with hazarai....all goes to a shuttle 9 and a coupla barefaced cabs. Love it!! :lol:

[attachment=62556:Pedal_Board.jpg]

:)[/quote]
all looks good. and boy do you really crank the bass up full on that blowtorch ? that must sound mental. :) :D

Famous last words but i think i'n done (for now :))

Chain goes X2 Wireless (stuck to back) - PitchBlack+ - CP9pro+ - BOD - DHA Fuzzy Feeling - ODB3 - SFX Red dragon Booster - Neo Clone - FAB Flanger - Echo Box

Got a weeping demon in the post to jam with at home which i'll just put on the side :)