Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='Finbar' post='1022852' date='Nov 13 2010, 08:06 PM']Both Diago Tourmans - same size! :)[/quote]

I think you had quite a few more pedals though if I recall... Lots of smaller stomp boxes...?

Not got any George L's left you want to part with do ya?

Edited by pantherairsoft

Well I finallly got busy in the workshop this weekend. Inspired by a lot of boards out there, I have been wanting a board for ages and having giged live with these all in a row, taking up half the stage, I thought I had better get on with it. It needs final wiring and the patch cables making..but it's a start..oh and there are a few more pedals to go on as well. My biggest problem was trying to find a standard size that would take the Pod as well as the other pedals. The 2/3 tier thing works reall well for me especially as the most used pedals are right under my RT foot. I can't get on with a totally flat board and as you can see I have an overhang to cover the controls on the POD as they are easilly moved and, as anyone who has one of these knows, a small amount of travel on these caught by your foot, changes the sound completely. All the power is housed under the top tier with access through the end for the mains cable. The lid is held down with 6 screw and caps as I don't expect to be accessing it often..probably just to run cables for new pedals. This wasn't difficult to make..I used quality 1/2" plywood for all the upstands and 1/2" MDF for all the flat bits..why?? Simples...I am a joiner and it's what I had lying around! Also the MDF is slightly lighter and as long as you are screwing through it into Plywood you have nothing to worry about...just don't screw into the end of MDF.. So far it has cost me £10 for the acoustic carpet and S/Adhesive velcro from my local ICE shop and about 4 hours work..I do have a workshop so that does make it slightly easier...See what you think....
Pictures of pedals being sited and me starting the carpetting

Finished Carpeted board. The Black back upstand is going to be removable and is going to have Hypermused logo on one side and The Zen Pigs (Rock metal band I play in) on the Other...

With a few of the final pedals on it

Hope you like...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1022855' date='Nov 13 2010, 08:11 PM']I think you had quite a few more pedals though if I recall... Lots of smaller stomp boxes...?

Not got any George L's left you want to part with do ya?[/quote]
I just went looking for the pictures cuz I couldn't remember, and found this one, from the height of my lunacy.

It makes me really sad I don't still have it :/

I do have a few George L's knocking about still, but I decided to keep them just incase I ever do something stupid again!

[quote name='Dudgeman' post='1024529' date='Nov 15 2010, 12:37 PM']Well I finallly got busy in the workshop this weekend. Inspired by a lot of boards out there, I have been wanting a board for ages and having giged live with these all in a row, taking up half the stage, I thought I had better get on with it. It needs final wiring and the patch cables making..but it's a start..oh and there are a few more pedals to go on as well. My biggest problem was trying to find a standard size that would take the Pod as well as the other pedals. The 2/3 tier thing works reall well for me especially as the most used pedals are right under my RT foot. I can't get on with a totally flat board and as you can see I have an overhang to cover the controls on the POD as they are easilly moved and, as anyone who has one of these knows, a small amount of travel on these caught by your foot, changes the sound completely. All the power is housed under the top tier with access through the end for the mains cable. The lid is held down with 6 screw and caps as I don't expect to be accessing it often..probably just to run cables for new pedals. This wasn't difficult to make..I used quality 1/2" plywood for all the upstands and 1/2" MDF for all the flat bits..why?? Simples...I am a joiner and it's what I had lying around! Also the MDF is slightly lighter and as long as you are screwing through it into Plywood you have nothing to worry about...just don't screw into the end of MDF.. So far it has cost me £10 for the acoustic carpet and S/Adhesive velcro from my local ICE shop and about 4 hours work..I do have a workshop so that does make it slightly easier...See what you think....
Pictures of pedals being sited and me starting the carpetting

Finished Carpeted board. The Black back upstand is going to be removable and is going to have Hypermused logo on one side and The Zen Pigs (Rock metal band I play in) on the Other...

With a few of the final pedals on it

Hope you like...[/quote]
Very nice work. Where the hell did you find the animato?

Hi Guys thanks for the comments on the board. I am pretty pleased with the way it is turning out so far. I knew before I started it that it was going to be slightly heavy, but actually it really isn't too bad. My original idea was to make it as small as possible but accomodate the pod as it does carry a lot of patches for live work. So I took the decision not to worry about size or weight. In fact the carpet makes it look bulky but it is all 1/2 inch..so really you have the base..MDF so quite light..the center cross section has most of it cut away to allow for the cable access to the muff and Animato and all the output/inputs on the back of the POD, the back is 6"tall and the sides which are sculpted..so all in all not too bad. The Black upstand is about 3mm thick and it is actually a special resin blackboard material that was left over from one of my jobs so weighs next to nothing. Obviously when all the pedals are on then it will weigh a fair chunk...So I thought I would get a flight case with castors on the bottom so I can drag it about.
I was going to make the case myself but I have had a pretty fair price from Flightcase warehouse to make a case to suit, sometimes even as a guy in the trade you can't compete..especially when you add time and all the ally work, fasteners etc..and my time lost from other jobs as well, so unless anyone can recommend another company to get a comparison price, I expect the work will be going their way.

I sent an email to Jonny shred freak regarding power and daisy chaining..haven't heard back yet. I am looking to power the Muff, Animato, Lehle, BSW, a boss OC-2, Possibly another Big Muff, Bassballs, and a Boss HM2..anyone know if I can do this off one of their systems?I suppose I need to work out the Milliamps but they only have daisy chains in 5's...can you keep linking or is 5 the maximum you can run? Thanks if you can help on that.

Ah the Animato.....one of our very own approached me, and after 2 years of searching and about to spend out in Japan through a friend in OZ (don't ask!), I did a deal with him and it came last week. I had got to the point of thinking I was never going to find one and I am so lucky and grateful to him for getting in touch. I knew it was the most important factor in Chris Wolstenholmes sound and I thought I had got really close on the POD but it definitely has a sound all of its own and matched with the Marshall 7400 DBS and DBS cab just nails so many of the songs that previously I thought were Muff driven. I am very lucky..which for me makes a change I can tell you ;-) I will say that it is a great distortion pedal..I saw the thing on Youtube by Bassfuzz (?) and was totally unconvinced by the sound..mind you I only have the speakers on the laptop..it sounded hideously thin and I wondered how the hell I was going to get a good sound out of it but in the flesh it is much better. Nice to know that if the Muse trib ever runs its course I still have a really usable distortion pedal..and no I haven't worked out what the switch does either!

Once I have got the power on and the pedals hooked up I will post some more photos..any help or recommendations on a case or the power supply then stick a post up or Pm me..Thanks

[quote name='Dudgeman' post='1025324' date='Nov 15 2010, 11:20 PM']I'd forgotton about the spiders!!...
Oh and regards weight..have any of you guys ever lifted a DBS system? My board could weigh as much as a small Polynesian island and it would still be light compared to the Marshall :)[/quote]
All to often, thankfully only the 1x15 though. And TE gear is supposed to be heavy. The DBS heads are fantastic I have to say.

Really impressed with that 'home-made' effort. Nice to see something different and bespoke.

Now I've migrated to the Tourman I'm trying to justify keeping the limited edition Monkey Dream board for a rainy day. I could do with the money, but a pedalboard that lights up blue just can't be cast aside that easy! :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='1025121' date='Nov 15 2010, 08:08 PM']I just went looking for the pictures cuz I couldn't remember, and found this one, from the height of my lunacy.
[/quote]

That reminds me of my first "big board", although mine was all hooked up with 12" super-stiff jack cables and in many cases I had to boot the curls of cable out of the way to stomp stuff, it looked like a ****ing carbonara.

But if I switched everything on at once, I could unplug the jack from my bass and stick it in my ****ing ear and it still made the same sound. Ultimate! :)

Also I could get a laser sound out of it that ended in a fart sound. Not alternately a laser sound and a fart sound, but both in succession with the same settings, just from licking the jack plug.

That is what pedals are about. Unfortunately I got a gig playing bass shortly after that, and everything went downhill from there.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1025378' date='Nov 16 2010, 12:26 AM']But if I switched everything on at once, I could unplug the jack from my bass and stick it in my ****ing ear and it still made the same sound. Ultimate! :)[/quote]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1025378' date='Nov 16 2010, 12:26 AM']Also I could get a laser sound out of it that ended in a fart sound. Not alternately a laser sound and a fart sound, but both in succession with the same settings, just from licking the jack plug.[/quote]

I would pay to see that on stage! You dont see technique methods like that every day.

[quote name='Mog' post='1025339' date='Nov 15 2010, 11:30 PM']All to often, thankfully only the 1x15 though. And TE gear is supposed to be heavy. The DBS heads are fantastic I have to say.[/quote]

I've got the 7410 cab...what a noise but god it weighs some...I agree on the head..fantastic bass sound, never thought I would say that about Marshall. I also run and Ashdown/Trace Cab rig of the other side of my signal for a clean channel. The Trace is a 1510x cab and is really light compared to the Marshall. I'd like a 1 x 15 marshall DBS cab and another head but i am now skint!

This is a repost from 10 or so pages ago - I've just started turning my mind to waht i could do to the board to finish it off. Ideally i would like to find room to put on a home-made patch bay, with a bypass. I could also do with a bypass for the Weeping Demon, as that sucks alot of top-end out.

The cables will also need upgrading. They are all Proel cables that came in 10 a pack. I will eventually buy some angled jacks, so i can make better leads using some decent Proel cable i was given by a friend!

A DI would be handy for if my amp dies!

Cheers dude. All the george L's form 'runs' cable tied together at points around the board so they follow set paths and spike off as they pass the pedal they connect to. Even the coloured cables that run totnhw MP-201 I had made to the right size and have fastened them into a neat mini-loom.

Power is still a little messy but will be just as tidy within the week :)

your board looks great. Loving the Moog pedals..uber cool. Power for my board should be here tomorrow so that will get banged on this weekend. Need some decent patch leads though. Used it set up at practise on WED and it worked really well. Just trying to find a decent case for it now..........ah its never ending!