Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='494549' date='May 21 2009, 06:37 PM']REALLY nice board mate, I think if I had a small one it would look something like this, nice work.

Question on everyone's lips: what's the Animato like? Worth £200?[/quote]

Thanks for your kind words. I like the Animato a lot. I had no idea how it would sound so a completely blind buy. But it has a very unique tone and many people have complemented that tone since I've had it. £200 was a bit of an extravagance but I'm glad I got it. I very much doubt I'll sell it.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='494632' date='May 21 2009, 08:29 PM']Not enough distortion on that board I'm afraid... :lol:[/quote]
HA! :)
The Fulltone bass driver is on there for the covers band. It's a little more subtle and sits better with the style of music we play. The other 2 are permanent for my proper band. I'm still experimenting with other pedals to fill the gap the Fulltone leaves. I've got a Carbon Copy and a bass octave that I've had on and off the board in it's place but still not settled on anything. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Finbar' post='494704' date='May 21 2009, 10:12 PM']Wouldn't mind soundclips of the Animato if you're capable of doing them :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'll have a play at the weekend. It's supposed to rain on Monday so it'll give me something constructive to do. I'll post a link here if I have any success.

Hopefully the attachment below will work. It's taken straight out of my pedal board into the computer, nothing fancy going on, just a fade out to kill the endless sustain from the Thunderbird, so you'll have to excuse the crap quality. Clean for a bit then Animato after about 10 or 12 seconds. Hope it works!
Animato Demo: [attachment=25757:Animato_Demo_MP3.mp3]

Edited by alexharvay

[quote name='JJTee' post='492573' date='May 19 2009, 06:15 PM']Small and simple. Sold 75% of my effects (which were bedroom use only in the main) to buy a new bike, leaving me with these four that always come in handy. Pedal Train mini turned up today. I might invest in some George L's, but it's not a priority. I'd love to find a power supply that has an 18v output capability (for the Blow Torch, which the DC brick has)) AND has isolated outputs to deal with the reverse polarity of the Compulator (if I use the DC Brick, it shorts out the other outputs), then I'd get one of those. For now, the Compulator runs on batteries.[/quote]

Absolutely love that board (though I hate the sound of the Blowtorch). Didn't know Pedaltrain was doing that model, thought you had turned it upside down for some reason :-p Why do they do it like that anyway? Weird... It won't take a CryBaby will it?

Hey why don't you get one of those virtual batteries for the Compulator (I think it would work) and the Diago 9v-18v converter cable for the Blowtorch? I've been using one of those for my MXR Stereo Chorus for a long time and never gave me any problems...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='495258' date='May 22 2009, 03:27 PM']Hey why don't you get one of those virtual batteries for the Compulator (I think it would work) and the Diago 9v-18v converter cable for the Blowtorch? I've been using one of those for my MXR Stereo Chorus for a long time and never gave me any problems...[/quote]

That's what I was gonna suggest. Should work fine.

[quote name='Higgie' post='495725' date='May 23 2009, 01:45 AM']That's what I was gonna suggest. Should work fine.[/quote]

Yeah, I only learned about those virtual batteries from your post in another topic, they look like a great idea if you don't already have an adaptor. If my microsynth hadn't come with one, I'd buy a virtual battery, but it's the price of a full blown adaptor anyway so I won't bother...

[quote name='JJTee' post='492573' date='May 19 2009, 06:15 PM']... I'd love to find a power supply that has an 18v output capability (for the Blow Torch, which the DC brick has)) AND has isolated outputs to deal with the reverse polarity of the Compulator (if I use the DC Brick, it shorts out the other outputs), then I'd get one of those. For now, the Compulator runs on batteries.[/quote]

I had the same issue with the Compulator and people on Talkbass said they didn't have any problems powering the Compulator with the DC Brick using the 18v cables supplied by Dunlop. I tried and I haven't had any problems at all, it works fine for me...and many other people.

Been meaning to do this for a while. I've just acquired a Diago Showman from a forum member so that I could fit my G5 (also from a forum member) onto the board and didn't have to transport it in a separate case. Here's what it looks like now with all the pedals in a chain from right to left:

When I get time I'm going to tidy up the wiring and cables and put the expression pedal for the G5 on.

I also have a double looper, originally thinking it would be good to get the G5 out of the chain. I'm currently thinking along the lines of:

Tuner -> Loop 1 -> Compressor -> Octabass -> G5 -> Fuzz
Loop 2 -> Chorus

Any suggestions for improvements welcomed. This is dependent on me finding a way to mask the looper LEDs which are dazzlingly bright even in sunlight.

I also have a tremolo which might usefully take up some of the space. I'm not thrilled with the compressor and will probably replace it with something better at some point.

Before I got the Diago I was using this home-made job, basically a wooden frame in a Maplin toolbox turned upside down, with some detachable hinges pop-riveted onto the box. If anyone is interested in acquiring this fine vintage piece of bodgery please make me an offer!

I do quite like the sound of that Animato, but not enough to spend £200 on it I don't think.

As for masking the LED, are you wanting permanent or non-permanent? I'd say tipp-ex, but maybe masking tape would work better.

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='496173' date='May 23 2009, 05:42 PM']I do quite like the sound of that Animato, but not enough to spend £200 on it I don't think.[/quote]

On the strength of that sound clip I would have passed on buying it as well.

Through the amp it's completely different.

Still no actual board, but this summer there WILL be, I'll make one if it kills me

Crappy camera phone pic:

The green stache and the cool-cat will be leaving (someone PLEASE buy them......) I was a little wary of letting the cool cat go, but the detune modes on the wh-4 I got to replace my dead xp-100 are perfect for my limited chorusing needs

The rather functional looking grey box is a custom feedback looper made by Umph (Mammoth sound audio) I'm very happy with it, I'd definitley reccomend them

Edited by bobbass4k

Heres the latest version of my gigging board, nothing special but works nicely for me.

Its just practical and functional and easy to control. Nothing boutique or out the ordinary though, and yes i STILL say the zoom 506 is the greatest bass fx unit ever, i have another smaller board and have one on there too! lol

[quote name='burno70' post='501823' date='May 30 2009, 06:24 PM']Hey Bob, how do you find the Cherry Pop?

I've been looking out for small fuzzes to potentially replace my Assmaster- (pure real estate decision) and this could be what I'm after.[/quote]

It's probably not for everyone, it's a very aggressive biting fuzz, low end response is absolutely superb, I think devi does market it as a bass fuzz now, it really hates actives though, which is why I got the mastotron, but I love the cherry pop and it has it's own unique sound, there'll always be space for it on my board, i'd definitley check out the rest of devi's stuff, there's something for every fuzz taste

[quote name='burno70' post='502324' date='May 31 2009, 03:28 PM']Thanks Bob,

I have an active bass so I can chalk this one off. The search continues....[/quote]
I'd seriously reccomend the mastotron, I've never played a b:assmaster so I can't really compare them, but the mastotron can do pretty much any sound, with the impedance blend it loves my active, and it's an mxr size box

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='502352' date='May 31 2009, 04:20 PM']I'd seriously reccomend the mastotron, I've never played a b:assmaster so I can't really compare them, but the mastotron can do pretty much any sound, with the impedance blend it loves my active, and it's an mxr size box[/quote]

For some reason I thought the Mastotron was bigger than than that - I'll have to keep my eye out out for one on ebay.

The latest version of my board:

The Pedal Chain:
Agent 00Funk-> MultiComp -> OctaBass ->B:Assmaster ->BassBoar ->MultiDrive -> Ozone Bass Chorus ->TremoLo -> Echo 600D->Ashdown MAG C-115-300W

BTW
I am new around here :)

Welcome to the forum. There is no escape.

Very nice board you have there, how do you find the 00funk compared to other filters? I love my discumBOBulator but it's a tad on the subtle side for my uses, and doesn't have as much control as I'd like

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='cheddatom' post='514996' date='Jun 16 2009, 08:58 AM']Why do you need 2 whammies and an octaver?[/quote]

Because girls love it

There is a semi reasonable explanation, I had the xp-100, then got the oc-2 for synthy goodness because I don't like the octave down on the whammies, then the xp-100 died so I replaced it with the wh-4, which I then managed to kind of fix. I'm still undecided as to which to sell. I like some of the sounds on the xp-100, but I prefer the tracking and construction of the wh-4, the xp-100 isn't actuallt fixed properly yet, so I'll keep them both for now.

4 octaves up is an experience to be reckoned with

Ahhh, I was wondering if you had them set up for massive mental harmonies or something. I love the wahs on the XP-100. I found the octave down to be just as good as my OC-2 so I gave it to my guitarist! Heh.

BTW of course the ladies love the whammies, are you on the muse board by any chance?