Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='486312' date='May 12 2009, 08:16 PM']Just replaced the TU2 with the Korg Pitchblack :-)[/quote]

I've always really liked your board. Really simple, neat and effective. I've also got an Ultra Fuzz, which I think is an amazing, and massively underrated fuzz pedal, and a 105Q Bass Way, I can't really think of a better wah for me.

Rich

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='486354' date='May 12 2009, 08:47 PM']I've always really liked your board. Really simple, neat and effective. I've also got an Ultra Fuzz, which I think is an amazing, and massively underrated fuzz pedal, and a 105Q Bass Way, I can't really think of a better wah for me.

Rich[/quote]

Thanks. I've actually recently tried to reduce it and got rid of the modulation pedals and the synth as I'm not using them in my bands at the moment, but I went back to the full thing as I missed playing with them. It's definitely the perfect incarnation of my board for me, and if I take some pedals out, then I'm never going to get them in the songs, which is a shame because they sound so good! Lots of fun in rehearsals too...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='burno70' post='484016' date='May 9 2009, 09:11 PM']I already get a really cool sound from it in series and haven't felt the need to dabble with the loop. What are the benefits of using the loop? I'm not that techy - go on, hit me with the knowledge![/quote]

Well it looks like you've got the Assmaster and the Hyperpak in series before the Meatwad. If you switch (one of) those on with the Meatwad I would imagine the dynamics of your playing would be flattened quite a lot by the fuzz, and the filter wouldn't quack so much. Whereas if you put a fuzz in the filter's loop you'd still get the sound of the fuzz being first in the chain, but you'd have the benefit of your clean signal triggering the filter, so the filter would be much more reactive to your playing.

The benefits are especially obvious if you use a lot of gain on your fuzz. Certainly if I put my Woolly Mammoth infront of a filter, the filter just stays wide open! Whereas in the loop the envelope follower can work properly.

[quote]Well it looks like you've got the Assmaster and the Hyperpak in series before the Meatwad. If you switch (one of) those on with the Meatwad I would imagine the dynamics of your playing would be flattened quite a lot by the fuzz, and the filter wouldn't quack so much. Whereas if you put a fuzz in the filter's loop you'd still get the sound of the fuzz being first in the chain, but you'd have the benefit of your clean signal triggering the filter, so the filter would be much more reactive to your playing.

The benefits are especially obvious if you use a lot of gain on your fuzz. Certainly if I put my Woolly Mammoth infront of a filter, the filter just stays wide open! Whereas in the loop the envelope follower can work properly.[/quote]

Excellent - that explains perfectly why I don't get a particularly great sound from using the Assmaster with the meatwad as is. I shall try this tonight. Thanks for the explanation.

[quote name='burno70' post='487061' date='May 13 2009, 04:58 PM']Excellent - that explains perfectly why I don't get a particularly great sound from using the Assmaster with the meatwad as is. I shall try this tonight. Thanks for the explanation.[/quote]

I'm not familiar with how fuzzy the Assmaster is (never tried one) but I imagine the difference will be like night and day. :)

OK, just back from Star Trek and tried it out. Definately works better with the Assmaster in the loop, no doubt about it. Problem is I can't engage the fuzz independently from the filter which is not an option. I'd need to get a dedicated fuzz specifically to do this and that aint gonna happen - board space and funds etc. I get a nice sound out of it running my overdrive pedal in series before the Meatwad though so I'll stick with that for now - but thanks again for the tip!

[quote name='burno70' post='487432' date='May 13 2009, 11:18 PM']OK, just back from Star Trek and tried it out. Definately works better with the Assmaster in the loop, no doubt about it. Problem is I can't engage the fuzz independently from the filter which is not an option.[/quote]

Ah yeah. My Meatwad's got a switch to do exactly that, but it seems I'm the only person in the universe who's ever asked for that option...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='487472' date='May 14 2009, 12:14 AM']Ah yeah. My Meatwad's got a switch to do exactly that, but it seems I'm the only person in the universe who's ever asked for that option...[/quote]

Damn - if I'd have known anything about loops I would have definately requested this option! I could always send it back to Mario - it has a ground fault and I could kill two birds one stone etc. It's just going without the meatwad for 6 weeks.

I kinda need to send mine back too, it's just getting around to it. I've recently discovered the Low-Pass and High-Pass filters put the effected signal out of phase, meaning the Blend knob becomes basically useless...

I'm waiting to get my Squeezer back from Chunk in Oz before I go mailing off my other "main" filter though.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='487778' date='May 14 2009, 12:30 PM']I kinda need to send mine back too, it's just getting around to it. I've recently discovered the Low-Pass and High-Pass filters put the effected signal out of phase, meaning the Blend knob becomes basically useless...

I'm waiting to get my Squeezer back from Chunk in Oz before I go mailing off my other "main" filter though.[/quote]

Get an Xotic XBlender, it's got a phase correction switch. It's allowed me to use my Mutron III blended.

[quote name='Higgie' post='487820' date='May 14 2009, 12:55 PM']Get an Xotic XBlender, it's got a phase correction switch. It's allowed me to use my Mutron III blended.[/quote]

Yeah but the plan was to have all my effects potentially blend-able in the same loop. Then if I switch off the Meatwad my FX line would go out-of-phase, unless it had its own dedicated loop, and I'd end up with more utility boxes than effects.

Small and simple. Sold 75% of my effects (which were bedroom use only in the main) to buy a new bike, leaving me with these four that always come in handy. Pedal Train mini turned up today. I might invest in some George L's, but it's not a priority. I'd love to find a power supply that has an 18v output capability (for the Blow Torch, which the DC brick has)) AND has isolated outputs to deal with the reverse polarity of the Compulator (if I use the DC Brick, it shorts out the other outputs), then I'd get one of those. For now, the Compulator runs on batteries.

The Dunlop brick doesn't have Isolated outputs though, so changing the polarity on one shorts out the rest of the outputs. It can only run all outputs on one polarity or the other.

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='Higgie' post='493040' date='May 20 2009, 10:13 AM']The Dunlop brick doesn't have Isolated outputs though, so changing the polarity on one shorts out the rest of the outputs. It can only run all outputs on one polarity or the other.[/quote]

Exactamundo! Wish there was a compact supply with isolated outputs AND an 18v output too.

There's a difference between how the power plug is wired, i.e. centre positive or centre negative and whether or not the circuit has a positive or negatvie ground. If it's just the way the power socket is wired, you can reverse the polarity on one of the pedaks on a shared power supply no problem, but you can't mix +ve and -ve ground pedals on a shared power supply.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='493230' date='May 20 2009, 01:18 PM']There's a difference between how the power plug is wired, i.e. centre positive or centre negative and whether or not the circuit has a positive or negatvie ground. If it's just the way the power socket is wired, you can reverse the polarity on one of the pedaks on a shared power supply no problem, but you can't mix +ve and -ve ground pedals on a shared power supply.[/quote]

Thanks for explaining that :)

I've been meaning to do this for a while. Here's my current board

The chain goes right to left, top to bottom. Pretty self explanatory. Diago power supply, George L's... I'm sure you guys and girls know what it all does.

A short sound clip of the Animato. It's taken straight out of my pedal board into the computer, nothing fancy going on, just a fade out to kill the endless sustain from the Thunderbird, so you'll have to excuse the crap quality. Clean for a bit then Animato after about 10 or 12 seconds.
[attachment=25758:Animato_Demo_MP3.mp3]

Edited by alexharvay

[quote name='alexharvay' post='494532' date='May 21 2009, 06:07 PM']I've been meaning to do this for a while. Here's my current board

The chain goes right to left, top to bottom. Pretty self explanatory. Diago power supply, George L's... I'm sure you guys and girls know what it all does.[/quote]

REALLY nice board mate, I think if I had a small one it would look something like this, nice work.

Question on everyone's lips: what's the Animato like? Worth £200?

would anyone be interested in an old skool black muff? As in basically the green muff circuit, just painted black? The local music shop is selling one for £55, which i think is a pretty good deal.