Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1472113061' post='3118544']
The Flea pickups are the American Pure Vintage 64 set.

The standard Road Worn pickups are Mexican Standard Vintage Alnico pickups.

Both sound great. I assume the Mexican pickups are different to the average Mexican Jazz bass.........
[/quote]

yes the pickups in the Roadworn are definitely better than the pickups in a standard Mex Jazz. (Mind you they are fine too) I played a MIM Jazz and a roadworn when I first got my RW, and they sounded better, more bite to them, more powerful and a better range of sounds - a better defined bottom end of the tonal range too...
That said, I then went & replaced the pickups in my RW, for some old DiMarzios, and it sounds even better :)

Really wanting to try one of these Flea sigs.....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1472131920' post='3118763']
yes the pickups in the Roadworn are definitely better than the pickups in a standard Mex Jazz. (Mind you they are fine too) I played a MIM Jazz and a roadworn when I first got my RW, and they sounded better, more bite to them, more powerful and a better range of sounds - a better defined bottom end of the tonal range too...
That said, I then went & replaced the pickups in my RW, for some old DiMarzios, and it sounds even better :)

Really wanting to try one of these Flea sigs.....
[/quote]

I like the ones in my RW, but I'm not entirely crazy about them. They seem to have a bit of a' woolier' low end than I'd like, after experimenting a bit with pickup heights. I have a set of Fender Custom Shop 60s that I bought for something else that I'm tempted to try there, if not my usual favourite Dimarzio Area J ones.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467438550' post='3083652']
The pick-guard is also worthy of note. It has holes for both the bridge pick-up guard and tug bar, but the holes do not extend into the body of the bass. This seems a little odd to me. If you're going to the bother of drilling holes into the pick-guard on this kind of bass, why not go the whole hog and finish the effect with holes to match in the body. A minor criticism though as the tortoiseshell guard looks like it's been propping up a corner of your nan's dresser for the past 40 years. Someone really has done a good job on it.

[center][/center]
[/quote]fender vintage reissues came this way - that is with holes in the guard but not in the wood

Couldn't sleep tonight and I came across this thread and this bass for the first time, despite being a fender nut.

Over the 24 pages I've gone from GAS/lust to not quite sure as to whether I want one.

I note the QC issues and love all the features including the possibility of an 8lb Jazz

But in the final analysis what stops me from buying is the relic finish, I just don't think I could live with that.

There is one for sale here with a badass if you are looking

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/290847-2016-fender-flea-jazz-bass/

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1472544154' post='3121889']
Used mine at a beer garden gig yesterday. Sounded great but again the amp was cranked (well 12 o'clock on Vol and Gain on an Orange Bass Terror 500) In a pub that would normaly be pealing plaster with the old Road Worn.

I really need to A/B
[/quote]

Used mine outside too, yesterday. Played for nearly 2 1/2 hours. It sounded fab. Really really fab. I love the fizz of the single coil.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1472544602' post='3121899']
Used mine outside too, yesterday. Played for nearly 2 1/2 hours. It sounded fab. Really really fab. I love the fizz of the single coil.
[/quote]

How do you have it set on the controlls

I had mine all on the neck pick up and dialled in tone to suit the song (volume off on the bridge pot but tone fully open). As I play close to the bridge I find the bridge pickup (on any Jazz) a bit harsh.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1472555779' post='3122026']
How do you have it set on the controlls

I had mine all on the neck pick up and dialled in tone to suit the song (volume off on the bridge pot but tone fully open). As I play close to the bridge I find the bridge pickup (on any Jazz) a bit harsh.
[/quote]
I'm all neck pickup. both tones wide open but I sometimes dial in a little bridge for tad more cut

I've got one now as well - will try to get some time to compare it to the original '63 and '68 I have sitting here.

First thoughts on tone was that it was a lot more 'mellow' than either of my vintage ones. However both of them are relatively bright (Paul Turner said my '63 had a better slap tone than his beloved '66 when he borrowed it for a while).

I've been playing relatively quietly through a Monique Dove Cage, Demeter 800D power amp and a Berg AE210 & it sounds lovely.

I've been looking out for an 'older' sounding, reasonably lightweight J for a while so first impressions are that I'm pretty happy :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472824086' post='3124561']
Awww Barrie man, why that Sea Foam jazz (where's the tears emoticon :( )

:gas: :gas: :gas: :gas:
[/quote]

It's a lovely thing, beautiful neck & board and sounds great. I've currently got flats on it just for a change but it's a bit of a slap monster (in the right hands - which certainly aren't mine!) too :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1473073676' post='3126525']
Can't fault my one :)
[/quote]

[quote name='nightsun' timestamp='1473073671' post='3126524']
nothing wrong with it as far as I can see. Hangs well, plays great, superb neck and sound.
[/quote]

You got the good ones then!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1472113061' post='3118544']
The Flea pickups are the American Pure Vintage 64 set.

The standard Road Worn pickups are Mexican Standard Vintage Alnico pickups.

Both sound great. I assume the Mexican pickups are different to the average Mexican Jazz bass.

The 64 set are really really powerful IMO....exactly what I wanted a Jazz to sound like. Clear, aggressive when required, fat and warm when required.

Which makes me wonder, despite the new price of £949, they are still a lot cheaper than a normal Road Worn Jazz. Makes no sense!
[/quote]

Sorry, only just back from holibobs in Florida so have been catching up on BC posting I've missed since I've been away.

Coincidently, went to Bass Central in Orlando and got to play both back to back. The Flea absolutely knocked me out.

The Flea with the 64s is definitely louder and more aggressive. That "angry" tone. Loved it. The RW was a little more old skool and reserved. Guess it comes down to what rings your bell. Personally, I really liked the Flea, just felt better, played better and was more upfront.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1473094891' post='3126893']

Sorry, only just back from holibobs in Florida so have been catching up on BC posting I've missed since I've been away.

Coincidently, went to Bass Central in Orlando and got to play both back to back. The Flea absolutely knocked me out.

The Flea with the 64s is definitely louder and more aggressive. That "angry" tone. Loved it. The RW was a little more old skool and reserved. Guess it comes down to what rings your bell. Personally, I really liked the Flea, just felt better, played better and was more upfront.
[/quote]

Exactly what I thought!