Why become a member? ×

"Fastest" bass guitarist in the world

bluesparky

I may be totally wrong here - I've never seen or heard of the guy before - but my guess is that he's a tabla player who first picked up a bass about 6 months ago.
He's got an interesting right hand technique... BUT, his appalling left hand rather gives the game away.

Steve

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='296189' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:14 AM']Speed is for athletics not music.

Anyone who aspires to this type of achievement is labelling themselves a complete idiot.[/quote]

+1 on that

It just so far removed from what music should be about....

Hi all!

I find a lot of these kinda threads interesting. I like to see what people have to say about other peoples playing techniques. Though, having been on the forum since the BassWorld days, I have always noticed a bit of a negative knee jerk reaction to posted videos that feature speed or the more 'dextrous techniques'.

Now, I'm not saying that people can't have an opinion, but I sometimes can't help feeling that us Bass Players can be a bit..well.. set in our ways a bit? Tunnel visioned? Less willing to accept 'unnorthodox' playing techniques etc?

I agree with OutToPlayJazz, in that I find the video interesting in that the guy is using a technique usually employed on a different instrument to great effectiveness. It might not be the tightest or cleanest, but it shows what you *could* do to make a song or piece of music interesting. I'm gonna try it myself.

As for being the fastest.. well... As someone said above.. I dont think it can be quantified.. comparing playing styles for speed is like comparing apples and oranges.

I think having speed, accuracy, technique, stamina, etc are great things to have as a player, the same goes for solid, in the pocket playing or melodic playing. I don't think bass should be seen as a "single role" instrument.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='296482' date='Oct 1 2008, 12:45 PM']I'd be more interested to see the fastest tuba player in the world...

Alex[/quote]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2-NVMsj6lXA&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2-NVMsj6lXA&...feature=related[/url]

Best i could do.

[quote name='Gamble' post='297380' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:04 AM'][url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2-NVMsj6lXA&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2-NVMsj6lXA&...feature=related[/url]

Best i could do.[/quote]

That's brilliant! It almost starts to sound like super fast fretless playing.

[quote]Now, I'm not saying that people can't have an opinion, but I sometimes can't help feeling that us Bass Players can be a bit..well.. set in our ways a bit? Tunnel visioned? Less willing to accept 'unnorthodox' playing techniques etc?[/quote]
I semi-agree with you, +0.5

I had a long message typed out, but I deleted in favour of this. I think that there are bassists who think like that Dood, but a lot of the others think that learning new techniques is an end in itself, i.e. the technical ability to do 'x' is it's own reward, and do little to do anything musical with it. Most of these players that I've met just do it for the attention (IMO). I'm not saying that is the case here, I just wanted to have a groan about both types; the purists and the egomaniacs.

Mark