Why become a member? ×

"Fastest" bass guitarist in the world

bluesparky

[quote name='dood' post='297357' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:38 AM']Hi all!

I find a lot of these kinda threads interesting. I like to see what people have to say about other peoples playing techniques. Though, having been on the forum since the BassWorld days, I have always noticed a bit of a negative knee jerk reaction to posted videos that feature speed or the more 'dextrous techniques'.

Now, I'm not saying that people can't have an opinion, but I sometimes can't help feeling that us Bass Players can be a bit..well.. set in our ways a bit? Tunnel visioned? Less willing to accept 'unnorthodox' playing techniques etc?

I agree with OutToPlayJazz, in that I find the video interesting in that the guy is using a technique usually employed on a different instrument to great effectiveness. It might not be the tightest or cleanest, but it shows what you *could* do to make a song or piece of music interesting. I'm gonna try it myself.

As for being the fastest.. well... As someone said above.. I dont think it can be quantified.. comparing playing styles for speed is like comparing apples and oranges.[/quote]

+1 Dood - I think if it sounds good then it's good... fast or slow.

Not the best additonal video but another Indian guy who's a brilliant bassist is Shri of druma and bass band Badmarsh and Shri. If you've seen him live you'll know he can play loads of different instruments - one being the tabla drums - and he uses these rythms on his custom made fretless to play an amazing slap style - this video is the closest I could find on Youtube - but there's a short snippet of him doing the slappy thing a couple of minutes in:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7TWTUI7Zk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7TWTUI7Zk[/url]

M

[quote]Hi all!

I find a lot of these kinda threads interesting. I like to see what people have to say about other peoples playing techniques. Though, having been on the forum since the BassWorld days, I have always noticed a bit of a negative knee jerk reaction to posted videos that feature speed or the more 'dextrous techniques'.

Now, I'm not saying that people can't have an opinion, but I sometimes can't help feeling that us Bass Players can be a bit..well.. set in our ways a bit? Tunnel visioned? Less willing to accept 'unnorthodox' playing techniques etc?

I agree with OutToPlayJazz, in that I find the video interesting in that the guy is using a technique usually employed on a different instrument to great effectiveness. It might not be the tightest or cleanest, but it shows what you *could* do to make a song or piece of music interesting. I'm gonna try it myself.

As for being the fastest.. well... As someone said above.. I dont think it can be quantified.. comparing playing styles for speed is like comparing apples and oranges.[/quote]
That is without a doubt the single most even-handed and equanimical post I have ever read.
I feel all calm and charitably disposed to other people's points of view.
You aren't a diplomat are you?

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='297504' date='Oct 2 2008, 12:55 PM']That is without a doubt the single most even-handed and equanimical post I have ever read.
I feel all calm and charitably disposed to other people's points of view.
You aren't a diplomat are you?[/quote]

Thank you! ;o) What a well balanced and open minded fellow I am! I had to look up equaimical though.. good ole dictionary.com! -

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='298026' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:25 PM']Nope, he's just a bloody good bass player :)[/quote]

Ah! My dirty secret is out! Thank you, very kind ;o)

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='298268' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:25 AM'][lotus position]
OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
[/lotus position]

annnnnnnd breath innnnnn and ooooouuuuuuuut! I am feeling alll relaxed! - Now...where's my morning coffee![/quote]