Why become a member? ×

GAS is evil

sellisnba

Just wondered how people battle the dreaded GAS.
For some reason I've got it in my head that I want a squier CV 50s p bass. I don't need it, don't really have the room for it can't really justify it but I'm ready to pull the trigger on the thomann website.
Very annoying and it doesn't help when the missus says it's fine!

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1465656323' post='3070006']
when the missus says it's fine!
[/quote]

You pretty much have to buy it now. Be rude to waste an opportunity. The only cure for GAS is temporary; that is... Buy more stuff.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1465656323' post='3070006']
Just wondered how people battle the dreaded GAS.
For some reason I've got it in my head that I want a squier CV 50s p bass. I don't need it, don't really have the room for it can't really justify it but I'm ready to pull the trigger on the thomann website.
Very annoying and it doesn't help when the missus says it's fine!
[/quote]

My usual rule is: wait a month. If you still really want it, get it. If you're lusting after something else by then, it was never meant to be. :)

It's nasty and sadly encouraged on forums like this. I had 2 basses for years, got online and had 30 instruments in the house! I've been clean (down to 9) since 2011 but it's a constant struggle. We all joke about it but it's got a very real dark side.

And the 50s Squiers are great :mellow:

My problem is I have GAS that I don't know when to let go of!
I'll GAS for something (often some kind of effects pedal), give in and buy it, try it out and decide it sounds amazing only then to discover that it doesn't work for me at all in a gigging situation which is what I bought it for. Unfortunately I then struggle to admit it's not working and get rid of it again which is why I was actually running two pedal boards for a while despite only actually using about 4 of the pedals on them.
If you do actually find an effective way to keep GAS under control then please share it!

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1465766742' post='3070877']

My usual rule is: wait a month. If you still really want it, get it. If you're lusting after something else by then, it was never meant to be. :)
[/quote]

This is a good rule. I usually end up doing this, but most of the time due to funds.

Most of my gas tends to be pedal gas, which is cheaper/easier to store (on a pedal by pedal basis) but does come with a lot of boring infrastructure problems (power supplys, loop pedals, bigger boards etc).

What is it you are imagining when thinking of the next new bass/amp/pedal ect?

Once said thing is in your hands do you get instantly better? It plays better than what you have now so perhaps it will advance you leaps and bounds? Your current gear sucks? You have a lack of inspiration so maybe this will bring you back? You just like collecting things..like a stamp collection?

From the perspective of once owning several high end custom basses I am very cautious these days of all "new things bright and shiny. " None of them did any thing to improve any of the above but I did feel like some sort of mission in life had been accomplished even if it was momentary. That dark yet satisfactory feeling : "there...that belongs to me now...ha! ha! ha!! (thunder and lightning!!!!) ha!! ha! ha ah ha!! ect.....

If only we were allowed to take these things home and do as we pleased with them for a good month before parting with the dosh........I wonder, how much of it would you send back?

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1465809567' post='3071074']
What is it you are imagining when thinking of the next new bass/amp/pedal ect?

Once said thing is in your hands do you get instantly better? It plays better than what you have now so perhaps it will advance you leaps and bounds? Your current gear sucks? You have a lack of inspiration so maybe this will bring you back? You just like collecting things..like a stamp collection?
[/quote]

I think I just like making weird noises...

There's no reason - assuming you can still pay the rent - not to buy bass guitars because you like them. Unless you fail to appreciate the most important thing... they won't make you sound better and they won't make you play better. A hundred and fifty quid battered Squire gets the job done!

Edited by thepurpleblob

My GAS has brought me to where I wanted to be when I first started playing... Musicman bass and Gallien Krueger rig.
Despite the odd effects pedal I go nuts for, then move on cos I don't use it, my gas now just consists of acquiring different variations of the above. Currently gassing for a GK fusion 550 head...

Ah it's all good fun :) so long as it's not a problem GAS can be a journey of discovery :)

Spending your money on stuff you want is fine, regardless of whether you actually need it or not - Spending money you should have used for the actual gas bill is not so great, but that's a different issue altogether...