Why become a member? ×

Markbass slapping failure!!

barneyg42

So I've read about this phenomenon but playing in a classic rock band it's never crossed my mind when I got a new LM3, until last night when a little impromptu jam between songs turned into a slap fest by yours truly and a total amp cut out! Switched off, switched back on and all was good! Anyone else had this? I'm pretty sure I wasn't lighting up the input gain, I use a Spectracomp that that limits quite nicely too! Am I destined to never slap my bass whilst I have this amp!!!!!?????

Maybe it's like a decibel meter but works on how many notes per minute you play - too many slapped notes and it slaps your wrist, saying 'enough is enough my friend, I'm turning myself off until you calm down a little' 😂

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1465117360' post='3065326']
Maybe it's like a decibel meter but works on how many notes per minute you play - too many slapped notes and it slaps your wrist, saying 'enough is enough my friend, I'm turning myself off until you calm down a little'
[/quote]

:lol: This would be a welcome feature.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1465120176' post='3065373']
Really useful replies guys!! 😀😀
[/quote]

There's a thermal protection circuit in there to stop it overheating. Sounds to me like you've got the master volume running to high for too long and that's making the whole unit overheat.

Pushing the pre gain shouldn't have this result so it's the master you need to watch.

There's a fan in there to help I think. Could be this isn't working properly and that's causing overheating as well.

If it happens again maybe feel the amp chassis to see if it's running hot.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1465120598' post='3065377']

There's a thermal protection circuit in there to stop it overheating. Sounds to me like you've got the master volume running to high for too long and that's making the whole unit overheat.

Pushing the pre gain shouldn't have this result so it's the master you need to watch.

There's a fan in there to help I think. Could be this isn't working properly and that's causing overheating as well.

If it happens again maybe feel the amp chassis to see if it's running hot.
[/quote]
[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1465120806' post='3065379']
I've never heard of this, and neither has it happened to either of my Mark amps- LMII and Blackline 250.

There may well be a fault I'm not aware of, but other possibilities are overheating (is the fan clear and the room cool? Any dust clogging the fan or other internals?) or an impedance mismatch. Anything below 4 Ohms might cause cut outs.
[/quote]

I'll check on the fan, master was running at 5 so not being pushed. Cab is a modified Acme Low B with a couple of precision device 10s in it running 4ohms, this could be the problem and hopefully it's being replaced soon anyway as I'm not keen on it. Amp is brand new so shouldn't have any dust build up problems. I might default back to my TC 2x10 if the cab is the problem although I'll have to crank the master as its only 8ohm.

Edited by barneyg42

I've seen this happen with a LMII (only when running at 4 ohms) and I've read of a few others with the same problem.

Have you got the gain set as per the manual? That might be worth looking into.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

Class D amps are unusual in how they might (mis)behave when the cone really starts flying. The amp's PSU needs to sink energy, and one might guess that under certain chaotic conditions circuit protection might cut in ? But just a guess. If so, it would be speaker dependant.

HTH !

LD

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1465127750' post='3065446']
I've seen this happen with a LMII (only when running at 4 ohms) and I've read of a few others with the same problem.

Have you got the gain set as per the manual? That might be worth looking into.

Frank.
[/quote]
[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1465129787' post='3065464']
I had one of these too. With the master at 12 o clock it was pretty much running at full power as it never got louder after that. They tend to go into protect mode if pushed hard.
[/quote]

Hmm, a bit worrying as I'm almost about to pull the trigger on a lightweight 4ohm one cab solution, more health based so running two 8ohms is not really an option I want. I'll have a good look at setting up the pre gain properly, even though I was hammering the E and low B when I checked it last night to ensure the clip light was out I'll maybe knock it back a tad more. I'm thinking maybe the current cab (acme low B ) which has been played about with might be problem, possibly the ohmage is a bit out? The speaker I'm thinking of getting is a non molested straight out of the factory (albeit secondhand) jobby!!

Edited by barneyg42

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1465122524' post='3065403']
I'll check on the fan, master was running at 5 so not being pushed. Cab is a modified Acme Low B with a couple of precision device 10s in it running 4ohms, this could be the problem and hopefully it's being replaced soon anyway as I'm not keen on it. Amp is brand new so shouldn't have any dust build up problems. I might default back to my TC 2x10 if the cab is the problem although I'll have to crank the master as its only 8ohm.
[/quote]

ACME's are notoriously inefficient and power hungry, a consequence of being designed for such good low extension.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1465190916' post='3065889']

ACME's are notoriously inefficient and power hungry, a consequence of being designed for such good low extension.
[/quote]

Tbh this speaker is not floating my boat anyway, the original speakers were knackered so I had a local guy put some Precision Device 10s in it and it's all mid range. Worked well with a 15 underneath using a power amp to balance the sound but as a standalone it's not great. It's just to get me by as I sell some other gear to fund a decent one speaker solution. It's bloody heavy too!!

Yes, I've experienced this first hand. Only with slapping and only with cabs with a tweeter. It was an old Markbass head. I think it's caused by a faulty short circuit / over-current protection circuit on the amp causing a false positive and shutting the amp down to 'protect' it.

Incidentally some Eminence BP102 speakers would be a much better sonic fit for the Acme.

I too have had this with my old SA450. Only time it (kept) happening was when i was using a rehearsal studio's cab. I wasn't even slapping, but every time i "dug in" the amp would shut down.
Turns out the cab was faulty, although i never found out exactly what that meant.

Other than that, nope, not with the 3 MB heads ive regularly gigged with over the past 10 years.

[QUOTE]alexclaber said:
I think it's caused by a faulty short circuit / over-current protection circuit on the amp causing a false positive and shutting the amp down to 'protect' it.[/QUOTE]

Or the speaker might interact with the amp in a way causes it to take protective action to avoid damage !

LD