Why become a member? ×

Headphones as an alternative to a practice amp

K450B

Hello and sorry if this has been asked before, not quite sure how to find out. What i wanted to know is there a particular headphone i can simply plug in to my bass (normal precision) without having to use a practice amp. Thanks in advance

Missed the point, thats a mini amp - i asked "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] What i wanted to know is there a particular headphone i can simply plug in to my bass"....... :-)[/font][/color]

The Amplug is so tiny though and it hangs off your bass output socket so it's almost like plugging headphones straight in! But Vox also do headphones with the Amplug built in now too:

http://youtu.be/lQnqi3c_9Cs

I didn't think my old v1 Amplug sounded very good but it was ok for practicing. Victor Wooten seems to be endorsing the new line though so perhaps they're better! These are probably the best option for a limited budget.

I use a PJB Bighead, and to get a more amp like sound I currently run a VT Bass into that. You could get a cheap equivalent of this by combining a Behringer BDI-21 with a Behringer MA-400.

There are some units that offer comprehensive tone shaping, amp modelling and speaker simulation along with an aux in for headphone practice - EBS Microbass, Ampeg SCR-DI, DHA something-or-other and the forthcoming GK Plex Spring to mind!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='K450B' timestamp='1464767775' post='3062241']
Missed the point, thats a mini amp - i asked "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] What i wanted to know is there a particular headphone i can simply plug in to my bass"....... :-)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

The output of a bass, any bass passive or active does not have enough power to drive a pair of headphones so you need a small amplifier to provide that power.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1464767949' post='3062247']
The Amplug is so tiny though and it hangs off your bass output socket so it's almost like plugging headphones straight in! [b]But Vox also do headphones with the Amplug built in now too:[/b]
[/quote]

[quote name='K450B' timestamp='1464769067' post='3062265']
OK, thanks to Google answered my own question:
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vox-amPhones-Active-AC30-Guitar-Headphones/O69"]http://www.gear4musi...-Headphones/O69[/url]
[/quote]

I think I can see a correlation here :lol:

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1464768918' post='3062260']

The output of a bass, any bass passive or active does not have enough power to drive a pair of headphones so you need a small amplifier to provide that power.
[/quote]

Those Vox headphones are the only things I've ever seen that directly answer your question. However the deeper amswer is as Dave said, "normal" phones are passive and require some sort of an amp to work. Therefore with 99% you can't just plug them in. The Vox has a built in amp. The next question then is, give they are designed to emulate an electric guitar amp, how well will they work for the lower frequencies produced by basses?

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1464770479' post='3062276']
Those Vox headphones are the only things I've ever seen that directly answer your question. However the deeper amswer is as Dave said, "normal" phones are passive and require some sort of an amp to work. Therefore with 99% you can't just plug them in. The Vox has a built in amp. The next question then is, give they are designed to emulate an electric guitar amp, how well will they work for the lower frequencies produced by basses?
[/quote]

They do a bass version! ([url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=12090510131932&gclid=CNnF1t3Qhs0CFYIW0wodq3wKOg"]Clicky[/url]).

Seems like a good solution though, I've been looking for something to replace my practice amp which I plug my headphones into to practice and this may well be it!

[quote name='K450B' timestamp='1464769067' post='3062265']
OK, thanks to Google answered my own question:
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vox-amPhones-Active-AC30-Guitar-Headphones/O69"]http://www.gear4musi...-Headphones/O69[/url]
[/quote]

Yup, make sure you get the red ones for bass though, not the AC30.

How do these 'phones deal with an active bass, which uses the 'stereo' aspect for its power switching..? 'Normal' 'phones use the stereo for L - R. What happens with these 'phones when plugged into a normal stereo source..? Is there a mode switch on 'em or something..? Seems odd to me that they could serve both purposes... :unsure:

Edit: Ah, I see there's and adapter plug, probably from 3.5 stereo to 6.3 mono for the bass socket. Jolly good, that's alright then.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='K450B' timestamp='1464768950' post='3062262']
OK, lets try again - I do not own ANY headphones - so if i was going to buy some, which (if any) would work with a non amplified passive bass without also having to but anything additional
[/quote]

That's one option, but I think that it's probably a false economy. For similar money, you could get an amplug or a small headphone amp and a pair of more conventional headphones that will work with other things too.

Edited by samhay

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1464781661' post='3062420']
Welcome to the forum, K450B. Come on into the forum and be condescending and impatient, that's cool.

:rolleyes:
[/quote]

I'm glad I wasnt the only one that thought that! I just didnt say it. But now I have!!!

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1464782891' post='3062439']
I'm glad I wasnt the only one that thought that! I just didnt say it. But now I have!!!
[/quote]

I thought he was a bit rude too. <_<
Still, I now know about those headphones which I never knew existed. :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1464785247' post='3062472']
I thought he was a bit rude too. <_<
Still, I now know about those headphones which I never knew existed. :)
[/quote]

Indeed. So next time someone asks the same question, I can get it right first time!! :)

If you are happy that you just play your bass and hear on headphones what you are playing then I suppose that the VOX amplug + headphones or the VOX headphones with built-in amplug would be OK.

However, reading more into the scenario than actually stated, then if you want to play with backing tracks, listen and transcribe, play against recordings then you would be better off with something like a iPhone/iPad with headphones and a Line6 Sonic Port. It can do all of that and much more, even using GarageBand you can make recordings of your playing. Add in modelling amps like JamUp you can get bass FX, different bass amp combos as well as pitch shift, change tempo, make recordings etc.

If you stuck with the iPhone/iPad ear buds then the Sonic Port is pretty much ready. I have actually used it in rehearsals, outputting my playing to either a PA or just a powered speaker and hearing myself on 'phones.