Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar magazine

kendall

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1464343292' post='3058584']
Good to see Dave is recognised as a Bassist in his own right and not just an appendage to Jools....
[/quote]

I don't think anybody outside of the UK would have a clue who Dave Swift is. Mind you, I don't think the majority of bass players in the UK would know who he is either.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464345162' post='3058621']
I don't know... But putting a pic of Dave with Jools and then referring to him as "Jools Holland's bass player" isn't really cementing the fact that he's a name player in his own right.
[/quote]

But AFAICS his main gig at the moment (and for some time now) is being the bass player in Jools' band.

I haven't bought it for years, i'm interested mostly in gear reviews and they seem to only have mostly high end £2k+ stuff from the same few brands which is limiting their audience massively. I would love to see some comparisons rather than sycophantic reviews to avoid upsetting the luthier/distributor/manufacturer and never get anything else to review.

Then again, it's still running after all this time, so there must be enough of a market for the content, it just doesn't seem to be in 'main stream' players.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464346437' post='3058641']
Do other artists featuring on the front of the mag also have other band members appearing with them? I honestly don't know - it's been years since I've bought bass comics.
[/quote]

Fairly recently - Paul Weller and hmmm Paul Weller's bass player....

I don't know why they do this - most bass players know who plays with who and if they don't they only need read the headline - don't need them to be pictured with someone else. The Paul Weller one showed Paul Weller with a bass.....

Edited by drTStingray

Scenario #1 - Just Dave Swift on the cover:
95% of bass players: [i]'Who's that bloke on the cover of BGM?'[/i]

Scenario #2 - Jools'n'Dave
95% of bass players: [i]'Oh, Jools Holland's bass player in on the cover of BGM.'[/i]

It ain't rocket salad, people.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464381267' post='3059124']
Scenario #1 - Just Dave Swift on the cover:
95% of bass players: [i]'Who's that bloke on the cover of BGM?'[/i]

Scenario #2 - Jools'n'Dave
95% of bass players: [i]'Oh, Jools Holland's bass player in on the cover of BGM.'[/i]

It ain't rocket salad, people.
[/quote]

I suspect your percentages may be a little off but I get the point - I'm looking forward to getting my copy tomorrow as I'm curious to read about his current interest in Ibanez Musician basses.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1464381565' post='3059127']
I suspect your percentages may be a little off but I get the point - I'm looking forward to getting my copy tomorrow as I'm curious to read about his current interest in Ibanez Musician basses.
[/quote]

OK... 99%.