Why become a member? ×

Instrument v set list non-sequitur

Ajoten

Looking at the For Sale ads on this website, there appear to be a lot of people with beautiful high end basses.

Looking at the Musicians Wanted ads elsewhere (and posters in pubs), the only bassing requirement in the country is Mustang Sally/Sweet Home Alabama/Money For Nothing lame tired covers.

Surely noone buys a £2k bass to play Crazy Little Thing Called Love for the rest of their lives?

Note: this post isn't a criticism of owners of expensive basses (or their instruments), it's a question re how on earth (or whether) your average bass-player-in-the-street finds opportunities to play contemporary jazz fusion, experimental post-rock, or other quirky characterful intelligent music which seems worthy of such instruments. Because the idea of playing Sweet Home Chicago ever again fills me with nausea and sadness.

[quote name='Ajoten' timestamp='1459930294' post='3020847']
it's a question re how on earth (or whether) your average bass-player-in-the-street finds opportunities to play contemporary jazz fusion, experimental post-rock, or other quirky characterful intelligent music which seems worthy of such instruments.
[/quote]

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If the bassist who buys expensive basses can afford them and enjoys playing them then my opinion is really of no relevance whatsoever.

If I see someone playing a nice/expensive bass I don't then immediately judge them for whether the music is 'worthy' or not. I generally think 'nice bass' and leave it at that...it's their trip, after all.

Folks play the instrument they want irrespective, if they can afford it.There is a guy who comes along to the (mainly blues based) jam sessions I sometimes go to and plays a 6 string bass, think he has a 7 as well. His main gigging band is blues rock too. I've chatted to him about it and he says he'd struggle with anything else now he's so used to playing in that format where he doesn't have to go up and down the fretboard so much. Each to there own, no set rules.

My bass is high end and, as a rule, the music I play on it might seem a bit déclassé in comparison but I don't particularly care if the audience appreciate my bass because I bought it for me to appreciate and I love playing it so much more than I did my old one. Even Crazy Little Thing Called Love is fun to play on it. Occasionally someone will ask a question about the bass or recognise the model and make appreciative noises about it, which is a plus. Obviously the bass sounds better than a cheap one and, just as obviously, there is a law of diminishing returns on price vs quality.

On a slight tangent, I am slightly uncomfortable with the OP's implication that one style of music is superior to another.

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1459932540' post='3020883']
Original recording of Mustang Sally was probably cut using Pre CBS Fenders by the way :)
[/quote]

Nice! But I'm kind of my post in reverse inasmuch as I, despite being a Precision owner and advocate, want to play sophisticated music with it, can find no opportunity so to do, but assume that the level of sophisticated bass ownership suggests others feel the same but are more successful at having suitable outlets to express themselves.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1459933556' post='3020908']On a slight tangent, I am slightly uncomfortable with the OP's implication that one style of music is superior to another.
[/quote]

Dear god, not my point at all, more based on high profile players of posh basses tend towards a certain style of music and imagine people who aspire to such instruments aspire to such styles of music.

<edit>and it sure as hell isn't any particular style of music I'm being critical of, but the lack of biodiversity of styles</edit>

Edited by Ajoten

[quote name='Ajoten' timestamp='1459934219' post='3020919']
Dear god, not my point at all, more based on high profile players of posh basses tend towards a certain style of music and imagine people who aspire to such instruments aspire to such styles of music.
[/quote]

I think you could be making connections where there are none - posh basses cost a lot of money, you either have the money, in which case you can buy what you like even if you're not a world-class player or maybe you're a serious (perhaps professional) player who wants to have the tool they use the most just the way they want it.

End result - a bassist who has a posh bass, but totally different bassists.

Edited by ahpook

I think if you want to play something you find really interesting you often need to create that opportunity yourself, putting in the legwork to find similarly inclined people.

Regarding playing something you're not keen on, either for the sake of playing or to pay the bills, why wouldn't you want to mitigate the horror by doing that an an instrument that's a joy to play?

[quote name='Ajoten' timestamp='1459934219' post='3020919']

<edit>and it sure as hell isn't any particular style of music I'm being critical of, but the lack of biodiversity of styles</edit>
[/quote]

Fair enough - I have a strong bias towards the less erudite end of music as I am much more interested in lyrics than music. If you like, I am more 'music hall' than 'music school', however I also like my tools to be as comfy as possible, especially cars and basses.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1459932540' post='3020883']
Original recording of Mustang Sally was probably cut using Pre CBS Fenders by the way :)
[/quote]

Which at the time were expensive, aspirational and cutting edge instruments.

Oh, and they were generally brand new and very shiny but that's a different thread altogether!

Looking at the For Sale ads on this website, there appear to be a lot of people with beautiful high end basses.

Looking at the Musicians Wanted ads elsewhere (and posters in pubs), the only bassing requirement in the country is Mustang Sally/Sweet Home Alabama/Money For Nothing lame tired covers.

Surely noone buys a £2k bass to play Crazy Little Thing Called Love for the rest of their lives?

Note: this post isn't a criticism of owners of expensive basses (or their instruments), it's a question re how on earth (or whether) your average bass-player-in-the-street finds opportunities to play contemporary jazz fusion, experimental post-rock, or other quirky characterful intelligent music which seems worthy of such instruments. Because the idea of playing Sweet Home Chicago ever again fills me with nausea and sadness.
[/quote]

Maybe there's a good reason why none of the jazz fusion and experimental post-rock bands are looking for bass players.

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1459935395' post='3020944']

Which at the time were expensive, aspirational and cutting edge instruments.
[/quote]

As they still are, which was exactly my point. And given this, and in the context of the OP, it's worth noting that the majority of the most rxpensive basses you'll find for sale anywhere today are pre-CBS Fenders :)

So Mustang Sally was likely recorded on what was then, and still is now, an aspirational and expensive bass ;)

In 37 years of playing, I have never had to play Sweet Home Alabama until just last week. We're going to play it at a gig in the summer as the host specifically requested. I'll be playing it on an ACG 5 string fretless.

Not sure what my point is, just putting the info out there.... :)

[/quote]

Why on earth not? People buy £5000 watches to tell the time and £75000 cars to drive the kids to school, etc, etc.

Where are these 'rules' that you seem to think exist for 'hi end' basses actually written down?

It's all just snobbery isn't it?