Why become a member? ×

Instrument v set list non-sequitur

Ajoten

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1459941763' post='3021043']
Can you get a Road Worn Ferrari?
[/quote]

Very easily. Just park it in the supermarket car park for 10 minutes and some ar*e will scrape it / open their door on it

I could never afford decent basses as a pro musician. It was only when i got a job in the "real world" that i had the cash to spend on good quality instruments. My view is that get what you want - you're a long time dead. Punters haven't a clue - often the audible difference you may enjoy on a better instrument is completely lost at a gig.

I don't buy the "nobody cares what the bass sounds like, so what it sounds like doesn't matter" silliness. That is a myth and a fable. Everything you do as a performer matters.

If you operate it right, a better bass will sound better, which will make you feel better about your playing, which will make you play better, which [i]will[/i] be noticed by the people who really matter to a bass player, ie the other band members, the potential band members who are in the audience and any band leaders who are looking to replace their bass player because he sounds crap because he doesn't think that what the bass sound like matters to anyone.

I played Mustang Sally a couple of weeks ago in a band of sh*t-hot pro musicians. Wilson Pickett would have signed up there and then. That's how Nathan East got started, when Barry White saw his band in a club and signed them up as his touring band.

What does surprise me are the players who have no intention of gigging and have a stadium rig set up at home. One example that raised my eyebrows was a 500 watt Thunderfunk and 2 Epifani 410 cabs set up in the front room!

To all the guys who just want to sound good at home, buy an AER combo. They are the best.

I don't personally "aspire" to any type of music. I think it takes as much skill to make a really good job of Mustang Sally as it does Birdland. Different skills, granted. And you don't need a fretless Wal to play Birdland any more than you need a pre CBS Precision to play Mustang Sally. Play a bass you love, play any music anyone wants you to play and play it as well as you possibly can. Simples

I own several high end basses and I'm not even gigging at the moment...

I don't drink, smoke or take drugs and have no [i][s]drain on the resources[/s][/i] children. I've worked hard for the past 30 odd years in quite a well paid (stressful) job so I have disposable wealth which I choose to spend on stuff that I love. Having said that I also own some well built low end gear.

I don't see why I should compromise if I don't have to.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1459948655' post='3021140']
I don't drink, smoke or take drugs.
[/quote]

It's not too late to start Mick. Just because you're a bit older than the other guys hanging out by the swings in the playground at midnight, that shouldn't stop you from doing what you want in life.

:D

I could get away with using a Jazz and a Precision for my covers band (and yes, we play Crazy Little Thing Called Love) but i prefer to only use my TRB and have a far better tone that those two basses put together along with more comfort and playability.

:P

How many high performance motorcycles do you see where the tyres show no sign of being used in corners? When I think what we take for granted these days as being available, let alone affordable. I'm not sure it's fully appreciated just how well off we all are.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1459949672' post='3021157']
I could get away with using a Jazz and a Precision for my covers band but I prefer to use my TRB and have a far better tone that those two basses put together along with more comfort and playability.
[/quote]

I am slightly uncomfortable with your implication that one sort of bass is superior to another.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1459943932' post='3021084']
I don't buy the "nobody cares what the bass sounds like, so what it sounds like doesn't matter" silliness. That is a myth and a fable. Everything you do as a performer matters.

If you operate it right, a better bass will sound better, which will make you feel better about your playing, which will make you play better, which [i]will[/i] be noticed by the people who really matter to a bass player, ie the other band members, the potential band members who are in the audience and any band leaders who are looking to replace their bass player because he sounds crap because he doesn't think that what the bass sound like matters to anyone.
[/quote]

Of course it matters. But a large proportion of an audience are not going to be able to tell you the difference. They will simply like it, more or less, or not at all.

Nonetheless, in the right hands, a £250 Squier can sound as good as a £2500 custom job.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1459943932' post='3021084']
I played Mustang Sally a couple of weeks ago in a band of sh*t-hot pro musicians. Wilson Pickett would have signed up there and then. That's how Nathan East got started, when Barry White saw his band in a club and signed them up as his touring band.

[/quote]

I was doing a Mexican Day of the Dead gig a couple of years ago with an 8-piece band. During our rendition of 'El Cuarto De Tula' I did feel that if any of the Buena Vista Social Club had wondered in they would have said 'yeah, man' and joined in without hesitation.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1459950318' post='3021168']
...a large proportion of an audience are not going to be able to tell the difference. They will simply like it, more or less, or not at all.
[/quote]

True, but chances are they will like it better if you're a good player - regardless of their knowledge (or lack of it) regarding all things bass. You don't have to be an artist to appreciate that Picasso was terrible - my four-year-old could do better than that. :lol:

Edited by discreet

I've got some (IMO) very nice basses, but I've also gigged a Sue Ryder P (remember them? I miss all that arguing about them...) and last year, just because I could, I played a gig at Old Trafford with a B-stock PB50 that cost (including delivery) less than half the price of a single ticket for said event. I don't play Mustang Sally, but some folk around here would probably faint in horror at some of the stuff I do play...

Edited by Muzz

If a couple were paying us a grand to play at their wedding then I took it very seriously regardless of the songs we were asked to play. There is also the argument that a hard working but not particularly talented player like me needs all the help he can get. My Lull never let me down. I suspect though that one of the better Squires would have been almost as good.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1459950630' post='3021172']
...Sue Ryder P - remember them? I miss all that arguing about them...
[/quote]

Just start a Barefaced thread - people will be queuing up to disagree with you for reasons not even [i]they [/i]are aware of. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459950603' post='3021171']
True, but chances are they will like it better if you're a good player - regardless of their knowledge (or lack of it) regarding all things bass. You don't have to be an artist to appreciate that Picasso was terrible - my four-year-old could do better than that. :lol:
[/quote]

Of course lots of things, including being a good player - in tune, in key, in time, etc. - have an affect on the outcome.

As for Picasso, I preferred his early work when your four-year-old couldn't have done it.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1459949398' post='3021151']
Anyway, how is any of this a [i]non sequitur[/i]?

Or has that phrase changed its meaning recently?
[/quote]

There's no controlling language use Jack, especially when it's both foreign and dead and hardly anyone knows what it [s]means[/s] meant anyway.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1459949672' post='3021157']
I could get away with using a Jazz and a Precision for my covers band (and yes, we play Crazy Little Thing Called Love) but i prefer to only use my TRB and have a far better tone that those two basses put together along with more comfort and playability.

:P
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459950009' post='3021165']
I am slightly uncomfortable with your implication that one sort of bass is superior to another.
[/quote]

You should buy a Yamaha to take care of that discomfrot then, like i said in my previous post i feel very comfortable with mine. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459950843' post='3021176']
Just start a Barefaced thread - people will be queuing up to disagree with you for reasons not even [i]they [/i]are aware of. :mellow:
[/quote]

Now you're just messing with me, aren't you? :D