Why become a member? ×

Maccas son on R4...really?

oldbass

I know I'm gonna get slammed for this.
He just did a solo live number which comprised strumming an amped guitar real hard and fast and shouting....beats me. Reckon my age has finally caught up with me....or has it?
McCartneys son, I would never have guessed.

Edited by ians

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1459619860' post='3018161']
He just did a solo live number which comprised strumming an amped guitar real hard and fast and shouting....beats me. Reckon my age has finally caught up with me....or has it?
[/quote]

I saw him on late night TV over here. I had the same thoughts. His acoustic seemed out of tune too.

Blue

Don't think I was aware he had a son, let alone one who did music, but I lost interest in the mop tops around 1968. Not much on him, found this on youtube. Does he always look miserable?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhBzjIxHwvc"]https://www.youtube....h?v=nhBzjIxHwvc[/url]

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1459619860' post='3018161']
[/quote]

I'm surprised he'd try a career in music...think you'd avoid it like the plague.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1459627520' post='3018235']
Don't think I was aware he had a son, let alone one who did music, but I lost interest in the mop tops around 1968. Not much on him, found this on youtube. Does he always look miserable?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhBzjIxHwvc"]https://www.youtube....h?v=nhBzjIxHwvc[/url]
[/quote]

Until I learned otherwise on Bass Chat. I thought the Beatles early high level popularity was the same in the UK as it was in the USA.

I now understand it wasn't and why.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1459621991' post='3018183']
Connection with his Dad might get him exposure, but the record sales will determine what he's really worth
[/quote]

I don't see much if any talent. Not sure how much Paul can do about that.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459631438' post='3018279']

I don't see much if any talent. Not sure how much Paul can do about that.

Blue
[/quote]

What I ment was connections might get him the initial exposure, but if the public aren't impressed then sales won't follow. Then if there's no sales he will disappear into obscurity. There's only so much his Dad can do.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1459627520' post='3018235']

[/quote]Blimey, never seen him before but there's no doubting who his dad is!
So we have the curious situation of a son of Fab doing a cover by that rough London village lot?
Anyone remember Julian Lennon?

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1459672874' post='3018454']
I didn't think he was truly awful, just not very interesting....

:blink:
[/quote]

Yeh, I thought the song he played on R4 was good. But it would have been better with a full band, not just him flying solo.

Why would he be any good? He's mega posh, so he probably has very little of interest to sing about. Plus he's got the world's most famous musician for a dad, its just too much to live up to. You should listen to Dylan's son and his band, mediocre and lukewarm crap, it's awful. Posh spoilt children of celebrities rarely have much to say musically. It's like watching a toff from Mayfair singing along to the Smiths.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1459700770' post='3018725']

So One Direction are right up there with the Beatles then? *sigh*
[/quote]
As you know the record industry is a commercial industry. It's long since stopped being just for the love of the art.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1459702080' post='3018740']
Why would he be any good? He's mega posh, so he probably has very little of interest to sing about. Plus he's got the world's most famous musician for a dad, its just too much to live up to. You should listen to Dylan's son and his band, mediocre and lukewarm crap, it's awful. Posh spoilt children of celebrities rarely have much to say musically. It's like watching a toff from Mayfair singing along to the Smiths.
[/quote]Those Genesis toffs did interesting stuff.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1459715324' post='3018952']
Those Genesis toffs did interesting stuff.
[/quote]

True, but they didn't have the pressure of celebrity parents who they were never going to surpass. Also, they never pretended to be anything other than posh public school boys.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1459704876' post='3018776']
But then again there is Liza Minelli and Kirsty McColl. Also, I would venture Ben Castle (son of Roy) is a apparently a pretty good jazz musician.
[/quote]

And Zac Starkey too.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1459782933' post='3019569']
... and Rufus and Martha Wainwright ... and actually lots and lots of others.
[/quote]

Dweezil Zappa, Arlo Guthrie... Johan Strauss the Younger

Actually, Jakob Dylan's band, The Wallflowers are quite listenable IMO. They've won two Grammys, which doesn't happen by accident or merely because of who your dad is.