Why become a member? ×

Travel Bass. Which one?

Oil price

Hohner B2, or something to that effect, will do. A Status Streamliner maybe? But that's very expensive.
I have a Riverhead paddle bass that I got cheap a long time ago, upgraded the failing electronics with Status mics, and it sounds beautiful and plays extremely nice. A cheap bass that I don't have to worry too much about. To me, it's the best option for a travel bass, as it's got a full scale length and works like "the real thing". I have tried various other alternatives from eBay, such as those strange star-basses, but they don't work....

There's something new on the block, called the Wingbass, but they only have the upper octave. Nice for practicing scales, maybe, but I'm a bass player, not just strictly a solo player. :-)

There is also the Traveler bass, which is available in various scale lengths. Might be an option.

The good thing with the headless paddle basses is that they are actual basses... not just light traveling companions.

I've been thinking about getting one of those ukulele basses as well, but I don't like those rubber strings.

Edited by MrWalker

Another vote for the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Aria Sinsonido. The fact that the preamp has enough welly to use headphones is a bonus and it is full scale yet light! The body extensions make it really comfortable and 'normal' to play. [/font][/color]

I have seen this. Which is similar to Aria, but not so expensive.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anygig-AGB-Full-Scale-Length-Travel-Bass-Guitar-Backpacker-Portable-/141917185377?hash=item210aec6561:g:T1UAAOSwzgRW1QUD

I do need something that can be knocked about a bit due to the odd locations I go to.

[quote name='Oil price' timestamp='1459432547' post='3016535']
I have seen this. Which is similar to Aria, but not so expensive.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anygig-AGB-Full-Scale-Length-Travel-Bass-Guitar-Backpacker-Portable-/141917185377?hash=item210aec6561:g:T1UAAOSwzgRW1QUD"]http://www.ebay.co.u...1UAAOSwzgRW1QUD[/url]

I do need something that can be knocked about a bit due to the odd locations I go to.
[/quote]

It'll do the same job but a used Aria will be a better bass AND the Aria 'bodywork' / tubing is really good for sitting and playing.

[quote name='Oil price' timestamp='1460106402' post='3022566']
[/quote]

I've got one of the Trax guitars which sounds great.

I haven't heard the basses, but there's a demo here at 1:43. The guy is playing over the neck though, so I'm not sure how much difference that is making to the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZVOsdqReM&nohtml5=False

[quote name='Oil price' timestamp='1459420739' post='3016320']
Is there a small travel bass that anyone can recommend?
[/quote]

ACG Border Reiver. A real bass....that travels. Sounds and plays beautifully. Have had one one for ~ 18 months. ~ 30 trips by air. Stowed in overhead or fore-cabin closet. Never had to check it.

I had tried a number of different options before getting Alan to build the Reiver. Nothing else was satisfactory...for different reasons. Reiver wins.

[quote name='MindGoneBlank' timestamp='1460389141' post='3025258']
Ibanez Mikro. Great little bass. About 28" scale I think. Cheap to buy. But plays nicely.
[/quote]

I'd forgotten this... I've definitely got too many basses :(

Issues I had with mine: A buzz on one pup, and a flabby E-string. Currently considering restringing it up a fourth, ADGC.