Why become a member? ×

Travel Bass. Which one?

Oil price

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1460275537' post='3024154']
What about a Hofner Shorty? I've never seen or played one - are they any good? Any advantages over anything else, other than they are ridiculously cheap?
[/quote]
They're ok for the money. They don't generally arrive very well set up by Hofner, but play well once you set them up.

• 1 month later...

Because of neck and arm problems, I'm researching lightweight travel basses as possible permanent replacement for my Yamaha BB basses. I'd want a full scale bass, not a shorty. The Sinsonido looks promising. 2KGs in weight! Anybody gig with them, as oppose to playing them in departure lounges? Would they cut the mustard at a pub gig, going through a GK MB500/Tecamp 12" rig?

What's the budget?
Because if you really want to commit to a travel bass, then the Fodera Imperial Mini-MG would be great........and empty your bank account lol:

http://fodera.com/imperial-mini-mg

Si

If you don't want to pay £400 plus for a headless bass, you can buy a kit and build your own. Mine cost £150 form guitar warehouse and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. It's also cheap enough that I will take it out on a rainy day, while the owner of the ACG probably would not.

David

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1465558000' post='3069224']
What's the budget?
Because if you really want to commit to a travel bass, then the Fodera Imperial Mini-MG would be great........and empty your bank account lol:

http://fodera.com/imperial-mini-mg

Si
[/quote]

I first saw the money and thought 'that's not too bad' and then I realised it was just a deposit.

$11,000.

Ye gods.

$11,000 Is that a typo?!

I could afford £400 for a new Sinsonido, if I think it'll work for me. There's one on Preloved for £300, not too far from me. The extra £99 for a new one would probably be worth it, if it became my main bass.

I'll put a wanted ad on here, maybe even ask if somebody would be so kind as to lend me one for a week.

I'm considering the Sinsonido as a permanent replacement to my Yamaha BB basses, rather than as a travel bass. It's the Sinsonido's lightness (2Kgs) that's the big attraction, in view of my arthritic neck. I'd play the Sinsonido as normal, through my GKMB500/Tecamp112 rig.

@Mottlefeeder. Thank you - yes, I've seen that website. The Sinsonido still looks like the most promising bass, since it's full scale, and very light. I'm just not sure how it will sound through a standard head/cab gig rig. I'll have a look at YouTube - maybe something there.