Why become a member? ×

Fingering

MrBump

Hey - so I'm a relatively new bass player, although a long time guitarist (some 30 years). I've often dipped in to bass, but last year I bought my first half way decent instrument (a Yamaha 5 string BB series bass), and I'm taking it all a little more seriously.

I have a question about picking fingers. As a guitarist I use all digits on my right hand to pluck, particularly on acoustic, and a plectrum and fingers on electric. My guitarist mentality states that more is better - therefore, when I started to learn bass I was keen to use as many fingers as I could on my right hand, rather than just the boring old two fingers. More Billy Sheehan than Steve Harris, if you know what I mean.

I'm getting better with 3 fingers, but I'm still way more fluid and consistent if I use just 2. Four is out of the question, as my pinky is way too small to reach...

Should I persevere with 3, or accept the received wisdom that 2 is superior? Or just use a pick?

[quote]I'm ... way more fluid and consistent if I use just 2[/quote]

And there's your answer: two is conventional, and fluidity and consistency are much sought after! I'd say stick with two until you hit a point when you wonder, would this passage work better if I used three fingers?

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1459418893' post='3016295']
I'm glad this topic isn't about what I first thought when I read the title!
[/quote]

I'm disappointed!

I wouldn't look at it as an either/or decision. Two fingers is the conventional method, and for me works best for most applications, but I use 3 fingers for triplet feel stuff, and for shuffle feel tunes and a lot of the folky stuff I'll often use my thumb, index and middle fingers together, guitar style (if that makes sense). I'll use a pick from time to time too if that seems called for. Based on the material you want to play I'd weight practice towards what feels most comfortable for that kind of bass line, but would continue exercises around the other methods, so you can pull something different out of the bag if it's called for. Having a few different picking techniques is helpful with original material, as I find the lines I come up with are quite different depending on what picking style I use... gives you more to work with.

If you're in an experimental mode and not set in one technique, try as many as you can, but you do have to allow each method enough time to really know for sure if you like it. Three fingers is harder to get used to, but I believe it is worth it if you can stick to it. My favourite three finger (technique wise) player is Adrian Lambert (ex-Dragonforce, Biomechanical), he has a very, very tight technique.

Also, don't forget your thumb. I personally struggle to keep three fingers tight, I get very sloppy with it, but I find it much easier if I use my thumb and two fingers, used normally or even rolling as in the banjo technique. I will also occasionally use my thumb and three fingers, assigning each to a string. I find these techniques where I use my thumb and fingers easier than just using my fingers, including just two fingers, which I really struggle with.

I am mainly a pick player, but I will also use a pick and my middle and ring fingers at the same time for chords, either one after the other or all plucked at once. It is also handy for adding fast, or simultaneous, octaves while using a pick.

Edit: Yeah, what NickD said...

Edited by KingBollock

I'd say just go with whatever feels natural for you though don't forget you could go for the finger & thumb technique too.

I generally just use the two fingers (though sometimes dabble in the finger & thumb) - the benefit of using two fingers is that it's easy to alternate between the two & I nearly always play music in 4/4 - when you start using three fingers you'll be crossing the beat which would confuse me.

Funny thing is after 20 odd yrs I now find myself just using my index finger only with the second finger hitting the strings now and again when needed. It seems to work really well with a lighter touch and my playing's improved a heck of a lot.

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1459422929' post='3016354']
Funny thing is after 20 odd yrs I now find myself just using my index finger only with the second finger hitting the strings now and again when needed. It seems to work really well with a lighter touch and my playing's improved a heck of a lot.
[/quote]

A word of warning: This method was used by James Jamerson, Chuck Ramey and Jack Bruce, and we all know what happened to them! So this practice could prove fatal.

[quote name='MrBump' timestamp='1459417536' post='3016275']
Hey - so I'm a relatively new bass player, although a long time guitarist (some 30 years). I've often dipped in to bass, but last year I bought my first half way decent instrument (a Yamaha 5 string BB series bass), and I'm taking it all a little more seriously.

I have a question about picking fingers. As a guitarist I use all digits on my right hand to pluck, particularly on acoustic, and a plectrum and fingers on electric. My guitarist mentality states that more is better - therefore, when I started to learn bass I was keen to use as many fingers as I could on my right hand, rather than just the boring old two fingers. More Billy Sheehan than Steve Harris, if you know what I mean.

I'm getting better with 3 fingers, but I'm still way more fluid and consistent if I use just 2. Four is out of the question, as my pinky is way too small to reach...

Should I persevere with 3, or accept the received wisdom that 2 is superior? Or just use a pick?
[/quote]

Matt Garrison uses a right hand technique that is very similar to a guitar picking technique. Doesn't suit everyone but it might work for you if it's already a more natural movement? Worth a shot either way :-)

http://youtu.be/rW0Hoxo32FA

I practice with 3 fingers from day 1. It feels quite natural to me despite the whole 3 into 4 thing. However, it's not rigid. I do think though it's a good habit to get into as it just means you have an extra digit to help out in some of the more difficult patterns. I find that 3 fingers gives me some interesting ghost notes possibilities that I doubt I could play with a rigid 2 finger technique!

And oh... Don't dismiss plectrum as the easy option.... I've been playing finger style nearly 20 years and I've only just moved into pick playing. Opens up a lot of doors!

Edited by lefrash

There are no rules, use as many, or as few, fingers as feels comfortable. If 2 is comfortable, that's all good but if you want to nail the 3 finger thing, excellent.

Just to say, Steve Harris only uses 2 fingers, Sheehan however does most definitely use 3.

Do what works, that being what [u]sounds [/u]consistently good and clearly defined. If it gets indistinct simplify. I play guitar also, I use thumb and fingers 1,2,3, fingernails, and whatever gets me the tone I want.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1459420057' post='3016312']
I'm disappointed!

I wouldn't look at it as an either/or decision. Two fingers is the conventional method, and for me works best for most applications, but I use 3 fingers for triplet feel stuff, and for shuffle feel tunes and a lot of the folky stuff I'll often use my thumb, index and middle fingers together, guitar style (if that makes sense). I'll use a pick from time to time too if that seems called for. Based on the material you want to play I'd weight practice towards what feels most comfortable for that kind of bass line, but would continue exercises around the other methods, so you can pull something different out of the bag if it's called for. Having a few different picking techniques is helpful with original material, as I find the lines I come up with are quite different depending on what picking style I use... gives you more to work with.
[/quote]

Totally agree with NickD's post, there is a video on Youtube somewhere of a guy playing the solo from Chic's Everybody Dance, he is almost picking with his thumb whilst playing the higher notes with at least 3 fingers, it is the only video I have seen that seems to get close to the original sound Bernard Edwards got, I tried but can't get anywhere near it, with you experience of classical playing you may be able to pick that up far better than I can

I'd echo much of NickD's post, I go with index and middle almost all the way but sneak in a third finger for triplets.

I don't think there's much need for a third in general play, you will get by quite nicely without it, but it all depends on you - what's comfortable, and how far you wnat to take your technique.

One thing I would definitely advocate, however - and feel free to dismiss this - be proficient with fingers AND pick. Without wanting to open the debate (there will be bloodshed) again, it's good form to have both techniques at a high standard.

I started on guitar and still play it a bit, both plectrum and finger picking. On bass I use one or two fingers, occasionally a pick, and occasionally thumb and two fingers - for some reason I don't do thumb and three fingers like I do on guitar. There's no one right way, just be prepared to experiment with technique for each song.

I started out using three by accident, it was just easier for me to alternate my 1 and 3 fingers I think, didn't have to twist my wrist so much (my second finger is a good 15mm longer than my index finger) and I ended up using the second finger sometimes when changing strings or playing patterns between two strings, and I'd usually pick with 1 and 2 on the G, stuff like that.

It gives me an odd sort of sound, not as smooth and even sounding as picking with 1 and 2 more quirky, I do sometimes just use 1 and 2 for the sound of it now, just like I'd use my thumb to pick or use a pick sometimes.

It doesn't really matter how you pick if you like the sound you're making and you can play the music you want to play, IMHO.