Why become a member? ×

Replace my trace, New amp shopping " Andertons "

synthaside

A bit of background as this has spilled over from another thread * on the Rumble 500 here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/270307-who-has-a-troublefree-fender-rumble-500-v3-combo/"]http://basschat.co.u...e-500-v3-combo/[/url]

Friday I've got the day off to head to the nearest good sized amp stockist to try out some gear, I ran out of volume on my Trace Gear over the Easter weekend .
The summary of my issue is pretty much this

[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Over the Easter bank holiday weekend I played a gig at a social club beer festival and ran out of volume from my Trace 715 GP7 SMC I've never before had to dime the pre-amp gain to squeeze a little more out of the amp just to compete on stage. The performance space was tiny so there was physically no way to accommodate my expansion cab , Usually the trace is enough on its own for this sort of pub / club gig, but apparently the only songs where I could be heard were Chelsea dagger * tubescreamer* boosting me and on uptown funk where its just me for large periods of song.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Our , Guitarists were running at about 6 /10 master on 100 watt fender SS gear , which we had raised , [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]you couldn't hear even hear the drummer . [/font][/color][/i]

So help me shop guys, what should I try out , I'm looking around the 500 watts mark, and want to try the Rumble, I'm not wed to the idea of a combo, just coming from trace land I've become accustomed to it. Looking to spend 400-500 tops on a new amp and if it can nail the trace tone it gets bonus points.

What I can try at Andertons , what should i ask them to get in from the warehouse as most of the big bass kit isn't in the tiny bass room.
[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-amps/cid561/bass-guitar-amps.asp#1459279380558page-1"]http://www.andertons...279380558page-1[/url]

Edited by synthaside

You mentioned that you couldn't use your additional cab. Perhaps that was the problem - not moving enough air. A similar sized combo may not make a lot of difference unless you spend serious wedge (AER, Tecamp and the like). If you like the Trace sound, why not think about an extra power amp and cab to drive from it?

I would grab a second hand bargain from the classifieds on here

This is one is a bargain - (nothing to do with me i might add)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/274868-gallien-krueger-1001rb-neo-2x12-combo-1x15-neo-ext-cab-price-drop-l575/

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1459284336' post='3015193']
I would grab a second hand bargain from the classifieds on here

This is one is a bargain - (nothing to do with me i might add)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/274868-gallien-krueger-1001rb-neo-2x12-combo-1x15-neo-ext-cab-price-drop-l575/
[/quote]

Yep, I've been watching this amazed it's still here. Crazy amount of glorious GK power for a bargain price. (Also not associated - but have owned a similar stack before and loved it and all its bi-amp glory). It's a little over budget, but will certainly put everyone in their place!

I rather suspect you're trying to fight fire with fire and the poor dummer may well be collateral!

Personally, I wouldn't change my gear in a war of volume but if it was just more volume you need, your Trace offers plenty of connection to external power amps as mentioned above. Alternatively, you might just fancy some new gear. :lol:

I have a Trace Elliot AH300-12 SMX, so 300W compared to 150W of your amp. I had a Fender Rumble 500 for a short while. Played with a single Barefaced Supercompact the Trace Elliot is way louder than the Rumble. I am also one of the few who doesn't like the Rumble tone - I found it too middy and harsh, too punchy. I'd say if you particularly like the Trace Elliot sound then consider getting a more powerful Trace head and pair it with a light weight cab.

New kit is always fun but your guitarists do sound way too loud IMHO if they've drowning out the drums (the amps should all match the drums in volume, PA is what gets louder in large venues, not the on stage sound)

On topic Andertons stock markbass, I've been happy with my LM3 so worth a try, even with a single 1x12 it's ample for most pub gigs.

Seriously, if you couldn't hear the drummer then within a few years your hearing is going to be so shot you soon won't be able hear anything, even when the music stops.

Having volume wars is just ultimately stupid. If you can't hear the drums then you are up at about 110dB. That's going to cause irreversible hearing loss in minutes. http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

In addition you'll have a c**p vocal sound because all that noise will be bleeding through your vocal mics.

You guys need to talk, preferably before you lose any more midrange and high frequencies from your hearing!

If you're out West in Guildford you'd may as well pop over to Twyford for Bass Gear too - they had a great range of stock when I was in there the other week & a lot of it brands you don't often see in the other stores. It's been 15 years since I played through a TE amp so I can't even remember what their tone was like but there is certainly a wide array of sound choices available now.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1459323672' post='3015366']
In addition you'll have a c**p vocal sound because all that noise will be bleeding through your vocal mics.
[/quote]

The guitarists would also sound way better going through a 20watt valve amp and letting it cook a bit - it took me years to learn this carting around inappropriate 50w+ amps to pub gigs (yes, I am a reformed guitarist!).

It still makes me cringe when I see pub bands with a widdling guitarist cranking their Fender Twin or whatever to get "their sound" - it's all you can hear and it ruins the balance of the band, a 15w Deluxe reverb would fix the problem instantly IME.

Anyway, good luck!

yeah if you can't hear the drums it's stupid, if you need more volume you've got to go down the mic everything up route and a full blown PA.
Regarding Rumble 500 v Trace Elliot I've got both, I can use the Rumble as an extension cab for my TE head (150 watt at 8 ohms 200 at 4) if I use a single cab the Rumble is louder but if I use 2 cabs (my other one is a TE 1 x 15) the TE head draws level in the volume stakes, I can get my TE to sound like a Rumble but not the other way round because of the TE superior EQing, the Rumbles EQ section is rather limited

Yep, if you couldn't hear the drummer because the guitar amps were too loud then [i]that's [/i]the problem, not that your amp (or indeed the drummer) were too quiet.

As has been said, you need to seriously reduce onstage volume of things like this are happening, or risk your future health, and nothing is worth that..