Why become a member? ×

Out of control 'Lead' Guitarists vs Out of control Saxophonists

julesb

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1459110188' post='3013641']
I'll see your out of control saxophonist and raise you an out of control Harmonica player :)
[/quote]

Many years sgo I saw Alanis Morisette headling the Phoenix festival.

The gig was slightly ruined for me because she seemed to have an almost compulsive need to blow into a harmonica everytime there was a pause in the vocals, coupled with a seemingly very limited and similar sounding range of harmonica riffs.

Mind you this was 20 odd years ago. By now she may be a much more accomplished & versatile harmonica player.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1459119220' post='3013727']
I don't know where to stand with that one. Dave Brock clearly has better business sense, whereas Turner was more of an ideologue and closer to Hawkwind's squatter/free everything roots. I guess you need both, just not in the same band. Seems Turner could also be a bit of an inappropriate perv, and Brock a poor communicator, so who knows.
[/quote]

Dave B still says that the main problem with NT was his incessant playing over other people's solos, but I can't disagree with what you say here either.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459157103' post='3013828']
Do you just have a problem with them in general or do they exist in your band..?

If the former, you can always avoid that band,,if the latter, then sort it or leave.
[/quote]

Just in General. I'd be out of there within 5 minutes. Sax and guitar are the main culprits for musical diarrhea in my experience. Just meant as a fun observation from a bass point of view and maybe why different characters take up different instruments. Bassists seem to be quite happy playing one or two notes in a given section whereas the above mentioned seem want to play all of the notes all of the time. That's why I love Wayne Shorter.

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1459175747' post='3014122']
Just in General. I'd be out of there within 5 minutes. Sax and guitar are the main culprits for musical diarrhea in my experience. Just meant as a fun observation from a bass point of view and maybe why different characters take up different instruments. Bassists seem to be quite happy playing one or two notes in a given section whereas the above mentioned seem want to play all of the notes all of the time. That's why I love Wayne Shorter.
[/quote]
As i've got older even great soloing is one of those things that has become less interesting to listen to. Much more into composition, groove, songs and the "group" type elements of music making. There are players of all instruments who might be guilty of overplaying. Your list is too restrictive. Must be room for "Drummers with needless fills". Grumpy now.

After a very attractive young lady jumped up on stage and started dancing around the band members, our sax player announced 'I don't think that we should encourage that sort of thing, after all people didn't come to see her. They came to watch ME!'

That statement alone should tell you all you need to know about sax players and the state of their egos...

[quote name='UngratefulBass' timestamp='1459328795' post='3015409']
After a very attractive young lady jumped up on stage and started dancing around the band members, our sax player announced 'I don't think that we should encourage that sort of thing, after all people didn't come to see her. They came to watch ME!'

That statement alone should tell you all you need to know about sax players and the state of their egos...
[/quote]

Exactly! 😄

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1459194226' post='3014353']
Only way to stop a sax is a punch in the belly to wind them, and that`s not exactly the right thing to do.
[/quote]

You're right there Lozz, no need for gratuitous violence on stage. Much better wait until after the gig - then grind them into a smooth paste, pour it into the saxophone and have a steamroller drive over it. Then 'frisby' it into the sea.

Edited by discreet

feel your pain. on two seperate occasions i had a sax player turn up on a covers gig (different player on each) and both suffered from an inability to shut up. i was depping myself on both gigs and had to wonder what muppet though these guys were a good idea.

in another band with full time horn section the sax player constantly wondered off into a corner with his back to us and constantly fiddled about inbetween actual horn section parts. (he was a really nice guy though, and it only irritated me so I had to just let it go).

trouble with sax players in a band is that they "have to" contribute to every thing or feel left out. hand over a tamborine and wood block or maybe give him a conga to keep him occupied till theres something worth doing. simply shoot the guitarist though. its the kindest thing you can do there.

the problem with Sax players (and Harmonica players) they don't know what to do when they're not playing, so they don't shut up, giving them some vocals to do would work (if they can sing) guitar players can be cured by only having one of them, keyboard players can be cured by chopping off the fingers of their the left hand

Edited by PaulWarning