Why become a member? ×

Event UK - for gig payment?

redbandit599

Hi all

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, a quick search didn't show up any threads though.

[url="http://eventuk.co.uk/"]http://eventuk.co.uk/[/url]

I've just been offered a gig but with payment via Event UK - I can see the logic, but also we've always been cash in hand. Anyone on here getting paid this way? - I don't want to open us up to hassle for the sake of one pub.

We don't gig enough for this to be treated as income, and probably would do well to break even over a year, so HMRC are unlikely to be interested. But be good to hear what others with experience of Event UK think.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by redbandit599

This is happening more and more. I think this only affecting the larger chains.

We were told it wasn't about the bands, but their brewery found out that landlords were invoicing them for gigs which had never happened, so this is trying to tighten up on cheating landlords.

So far our decision has been to not do these venues but the gig world contracting at the current rate we've decided that it would be stupid to reduce our list of gigs even further. We'll be invoicing where we have to.

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1459112544' post='3013665']
Similar to InvaPay then .

Doesn't work both ways though ..... Try ordering a round , then tell then you'll pay in 7 working days .
[/quote]
Sounds like it. Fine for me as I do self assessment but rest of the band have cancelled gigs because of hmrc fears

I think this is a natural extension of a cashless economy. We all like to be paid in cash, but as we are providing a commercial service, being paid cash with no questions asked isn't really defensible in the 21st century for a band or a plumber / builder, etc.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1459164483' post='3013960']
Yet another middle-man getting paid money that could go to the bands or landlords instead.

Just out of interest Jason, which pub is it?

I'm not too far from you....
[/quote]
Hi mate - it's Molloy's in Colchester.

I actually work in corporate payments - and see first hand just how much some large hospitality companies get ripped off by their staff, so I do understand their motivation to move to this sort of system. Just hadn't encountered it before as a band. I'd anticipate it getting more common. I've asked another local band and they say that they've not had any issues to date - so, I'll probably have the job of explaining it to the rest of the band now.... :rolleyes:

May see you there Jason, and I'll buy you a pint if they invoice me for it.
Oh, by the way, just let them know that my payment terms are 60 days after the end of the month of receipt of goods delivered on time and to the quality and the quantity ordered. ;)

Edited by Jazzneck

So, if we apply this logic to Peaches, Music Warehouse and the other music shops in Colchester I can get at least 3 weeks payment terms on strings, stands, a bass, cabs, amp, PA and all the other stuff I need to play a gig up the hill, then.
I wonder if John, Lou and the others would accept that? ;)

It's not unusual [1] for a provider of services to be paid later - if you happen to be in a job you've probably encountered the concept as companies tend not to pay employees daily in cash. If the money's coming from the brewery, the landlord is probably going to prefer to have them deal with you. I have had a split payment on one occasion, 50% or so in advance and the rest a week or two after the gig. With agencies, they're not likely to want to pay you before they've got the money, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

[1] A brief attack of Tom Jones there