Why become a member? ×

Time for a stick bass resurgence?

Wilco

So, I've just changed my amp head to something lighter & more portable. Likely that when funds allow, the same will happen with my cab. Like many of us, I'm looking to make things a little easier for myself on the transportation front.

Then I go & load two 9lbs basses into hefty rectangular cases & lump those around to gigs! Don't get me wrong, those two basses are great & yes, instruments are lighter than amp gear obviously. You'd have thought though, given the currently popularity of backline size reduction, that a trend in smaller intruments might have followed? Steinberger type stick basses being the obvious candidates.

I'm a child of the 80's however, so that might be a rose tinted specs type thought which could garner chortles to derision elsewhere!!

I did a post recently asking for an overview of headless, bodyless basses and had some very interesting replies.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277945-headless-body-less-basses/page__p__2979992__hl__headless%20__fromsearch__1#entry2979992"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277945-headless-body-less-basses/page__p__2979992__hl__headless%20__fromsearch__1#entry2979992[/url]

I ended up with a Hohner B2B which, up until I saw it for sale, was a model I had never heard of. It is passive with P/J pickps and a bolt on neck. The tone is different to a B2A played passively, no surprise as the pickups are different, and I much prefer it.

But I have had some full-bodied basses that weigh no more than the headless/bodyless ones. (Shameless plug alert) my stealth MIJ 32" scale Fender Jazz Bass Special - currently for sale - weighs just 7.5lbs.

I should have been clearer in my initial post, I wasn't thinking of the Chapman Stick, more of your Hohner & Steinberger types.

Good previous thread Paul S. I had a B2A a few years ago & I liked it, but not tried a B2B.

The Steinberger XS looks pretty good mind. New strap hook arrangement, meaty active EMG, piezo bridge & rosewood saddle to warm the tone up a bit - all for £600 new.....

Dammit, haven't had GAS for ages.....

Being fortunate enough to own an XL2, and having owned a B2A previously, can confirm that yer genuine article ain't that light owing to the materials and solidity of construction. Always surprises people who pick it up for the first time...

Yeah, the Xm-3 is quite heavy for a headless .
Amazing. Really. Back in the '9os , headless basses were unpopular . Still are according to the basses you hate post on here ;)

I wonder what the lightest 'quality ! Headless basses are? ( sorry , not hohner )

Btw; I recently looked at a few you tube clips on chapman stick. Looks hard .
Doesn't look good for metal . If I learned how to play one ,somehow IMHO it doesn't look as cool as an ordinary bass or even guitar so couldn't see me gigging with one unless I was in a largish band .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1457872927' post='3002507']
Well, they are perfect for travelling on public transport. Also, in small pubs etc. Very handy indeed.
[/quote]

Perfect back up bass. Take up no room in the car or on stage.

Amazing that 35 years on all the same old prejudices are still around.

For anyone who has never played one, a Steinberger L series bass is probably just about the zenith in bass guitar design. Ned Steinberger took a step back and designed out almost every functional shortcoming that the "traditional" bass guitar had. Poor physical balance, uneven tonal response, dead spots, inaccurate and unstable tuning, sensitivity to climatic changes - all gone in one fell swoop. As a secondary benefit, these are about the most compact full scale basses you will find.

Oh, and no shortcomings on the sound either, in fact the Steinberger has the uncanny ability to be heard clearly in a mix even when the actual level is way down.

I like all sorts of basses and am in the fortunate position of owning a selection of excellent instruments that I enjoy playing but if the dreaded house fire was to occur and I only had time to save one of them, it would be my trusty old L2. It's been with me for over 35 years and is quite frankly, the only bass I really *need*.

Oh, and while I'm at it, the Chapman Stick is a pretty cool instrument as well. Check out some Kevin Keith stuff for bass-centric but also properly funky two handed Stick playing - like this!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkgoF_orWuI[/media]

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1457901378' post='3002892']
I'll take tone anyday...
[/quote]

Of course tone is a very subjective thing but this B2B sounds, to me, a lot nicer than many other basses I have tried - not all of them cheap crap either :). Even when stacked up against other Hohners the P pickup sounds nicer than the B2As I have had before - either active or when played passively - more like a 'regular' P bass should. Maybe it is the EMGs I am not so keen on,I don't know, but as far as this B2B is concerned I don't consider it to be any kind of sacrifice.

Anyway, horses for courses - I am happy with it and, generally speaking, I am hard to please :)

Not sure I'm seeing much of a resurgence of Steiny-style minimalist basses, but there's definitely a bit of a resurgence of headless basses going on - the new Carvin/Kiesel Vader basses are getting rave reviews, i'm seeing more Status headlesses than at any time since the 80s, and Ned Steinberger's own Radius basses seem to be doing really well.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1457995030' post='3003846']
Not sure I'm seeing much of a resurgence of Steiny-style minimalist basses, but there's definitely a bit of a resurgence of headless basses going on - the new Carvin/Kiesel Vader basses are getting rave reviews, i'm seeing more Status headlesses than at any time since the 80s, and Ned Steinberger's own Radius basses seem to be doing really well.
[/quote]

Interested in carvin/ kiesel/ Vader .any pics ?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1458036484' post='3004015']
Interested in carvin/ kiesel/ Vader .any pics ?
[/quote]

How about a video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlHOizbf0OM

As if by destiny, a mint Steinberger Synapse Custom 4 string came up near me on Ebay so I bought it!

My Geddy Lee Jazz weighs in at a hefty 10lbs & my P bass at 8.8lbs. Would you Adam & Eve it that the Synapse weighs........ 8.8lbs. Exactly the same as my P!! In the flesh as it were, a surprisingly chunky & solid instrument. So no weight reduction benefit then, but it will no doubt fit in the car & on stage much easier, & in some ways doesn't feel that heavy so perhaps it's better balanced on the strap?

Other first impressions;- 1) very fast & buttery neck - very, very easy to play 2) seems well enough screwed together 3) sound seems very much orientated to high mids, so I need to mess around with some EQ to dial that out for my ears 4) every note has a lot of clarity & definition.

Initial impressions then, by no means a disappointment & on the surface of it, a very decent bass!

Edited by Wilco