Why become a member? ×

Don't people play things funny ?

Les

Pulled a TAB of the net and it's accurate enough for what I need but, and I've noticed this before, why would you play this in that position on the E ?

W H E E E E Q Q Q Q Q Q Q E E
|----------|--------------|---------------|--------------|
|----------|--------------|---------------|--------------|
|----------|--------------|-----0-----0--|------3--1-0-|
|----------|----5-7-8-9-|-10---10----|-8--3---------|

I'd start on the A string

I'm puzzled as to why you'd play it like he/she does.

Fretted A at the 5th fret, followed by fretted B, C, C# etc. Then play open A, and C, Bb on the A string.

Notes are going to sound different tonally played on different strings, and different positions.

Just play it all from 5th fret E string.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1457596665' post='2999894']
I don't really do tab, but it looks like the D and A are being played at the same time? That would explain why they play the open A string.
[/quote]

It's because it's shown in a proportional font which is useless for tab as characters have different widths, and the widths depend on the font. Put it into Courier or a similar non-proportional font and you'll see the A and D are alternating.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1457602320' post='2999966']

It's because it's shown in a proportional font which is useless for tab as characters have different widths, and the widths depend on the font. Put it into Courier or a similar non-proportional font and you'll see the A and D are alternating.
[/quote]

This is the case. It's all single notes.

Still don't see why you'd play the D at the 5th fret of the E.

If I was playing 8ths, (assuming that's what's going on, which is why I don't like TAB), I'd play the D,A bit using a fretted D at the 5th fret on the A string, then possibly the open A. Making it easier to mute the A string.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1457620195' post='3000218']
I'd play everything apart from the G in the final bar on the A string but I guess I'm lazy
[/quote]

Me three.

Perhaps the person thought playing it higher up the neck makes him look like a better player :lol:

This is a good illustration of where tab falls short. Standard notation gives you the pitches and durations, and you (the player) work out the best way to play them on your instrument. Bass tab just gives you the mechanical information for one possible way to play the music on a bass - in this case, a rather odd way.

Please feel free not to join battle in another notation vs tab debate!