Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't people play things funny ?

Les

It's all related to the way people feel comfortable to play a bass line. I know a lot of people that prefer to go up and down the neck in the same string and others (like me) that prefer to have the hand fixed in a neck area and move from string to string.
When i have a new song to learn i use every trick in the book, i usually play it alongside a youtube video (originals, but i've found a couple of songs where i had to dig out an instructional video to help me with some details) and i use TABs from the net. Sometimes they're wrong and here's where the ear is very important but other times they're accurate and can make your life easier. I tend to only use TAB to learn the notes as most of the times they're shown like the example in the OP and i'll play the song in other positions.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1457962756' post='3003369']
I'll often play higher up the neck than needs be for the tone of it
[/quote]

Yes. There are more overtones the higher up the neck you play. I'm sure they can be heard on the original.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1457962756' post='3003369']
I'll often play higher up the neck than needs be for the tone of it
[/quote]

See I don't really like that, I prefer the sound lower down. The only thing I can think of that I have to play up there is Crazy Little Thing Called Love.