Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tonehammer

TheGreek

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1456252452' post='2987136']
Heft is an unmeasurable parameter only present in Valve Amps. It is proportional to weight and the real subtlety of heft comes from the light of the valve heaters.
[/quote]

It's true! You sure know what you're talking about!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456248416' post='2987065']
They're too light, people prefer amps that weigh around 12kg. Tone Hammers tend to blow away in the slightest breeze.
[/quote]

I was using my TH last night, I sneezed and it flew off the top of my cab 😳

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1456253079' post='2987146']
Some people just seem to like constantly changing their gear.
[/quote]

Yep - I`m one of them, had two Tonehammers and the DI, sold them for the greener grass amp, and swiftly rebought a batch of Tonehammers. I`m sticking with them now - awesome little amps.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1456245922' post='2987015']
I've noticed that there have been several of these in the "For Sale" threads recently. I was wondering why they're being turn around so quickly.
[/quote]

How can you say they're being turned around quickly?

The obvious answer is that these guys are probably buying something else. . . . maybe the Mesa D800, but there are about 5 new D Class heads around at the moment.

I guess we'll see a few Bergs for sale when the HDN cabs arrive.

That's what happens.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1456274880' post='2987389']
How can you say they're being turned around quickly? The obvious answer is that these guys are probably buying something else...
[/quote]

Quite, I had a TH350 for a while and it's a really cracking little amp. But I recently started a new project and needed something different. I would have preferred to keep the TH, but I can't afford to buy multiple rigs for every possible eventuality, it's strictly one in, one out.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1456245922' post='2987015']
I've noticed that there have been several of these in the "For Sale" threads recently. I was wondering why they're being turn around so quickly.
[/quote]

They're quite specific in their application, tonally speaking, and they hold their value well. My guess is that people just want the cash for other heads and know the THs will sell.

(that was very nearly a poem!)

Blimey no, they are incredible amps, just very very smooth and transparent. If you play jazz or sit in on mic nights at your local you will find nothing better. If, on the other hand, you play in an 80s cover band or are pushing the loud indie thing you will find them all wrong. I changed to tecamp because my band does the 80s thing but it is very hard to criticise the TH500 in the right environment, beautiful clear tone if thats what you want.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456582574' post='2990471']
I don't agree, given the Tone Hammer's versatile Gain and Drive controls you can easily get that Ampeg-like harmonic grit playing a P Bass with rounds and a pick, and at high volume too. It's a great amp for practically any genre. IMHO.
[/quote]
I tried a 350, and used it at a rehearsal with a metal band (2 git, drum, vox). We rehearse at ridiculous near gig levels :rolleyes: and it was plenty loud enough.
TBH I probably needed to spend a bit longer with it to get to grips with the drive and gain controls, but I got some good sounds from it.

Ended up buying a tecamp puma because it's simpler and smaller.

In my opinion it's the Basschat effect. There are people on this forum that read all the articles & want to try out the next great thing, sometimes it's basses but it's typically amps & cabs. The TH has had its 5 minutes of fame and now there's new stuff being talked about. Mesa Subway & Magellan for amps at the mo' and TKS for cabs.

Sometimes you can forget what you've got and how good it sounds. I've been trying out different amp, cab and bass combinations lately and went back to my TH500 for last nights gig.

It's a great sounding amp that hits the spot for my ideal bass sound. One of the best sounding amps of the last 10 years.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1456647912' post='2990957']
In my opinion it's the Basschat effect. There are people on this forum that read all the articles & want to try out the next great thing, sometimes it's basses but it's typically amps & cabs. The TH has had its 5 minutes of fame and now there's new stuff being talked about. Mesa Subway & Magellan for amps at the mo' and TKS for cabs.
[/quote]

Mostly this. Although for some people the TH500 is tonal nirvana (or today's version of it), some of us struggle to get on with the sound and the interactivity of the controls. In my personal case, the TH was incompatible with the cab I owned at the time.

Values are still good, so it makes sense to sell and let someone else get the benefit!