Why become a member? ×

Tolerating the intolerable

Nicko

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1455792228' post='2982419']
I gig for a living and I certainly don't feel it's another form of rut. Saturdays and some Fridays are my bigger earning nights doing functions, the rest of my gigs are generally pub/bar work. Like Blue, I love what I do. I may not be a rich man but I'm happy in my work. I approach my gigs with the attitude that I'm going to play to my best ability and put on a good show, like most of the musicians around me. And after all these years I still get excited getting ready to leave the house for a gig. I don't have time for half-arsed performances and attitudes. I do take my work seriously and yes, it's still a job, but it beats doing 40+ hours a week in an office or warehouse. I know this because I've done both. I have the best job in the world and long may it continue.
[/quote]

Great post. :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455793224' post='2982432']
I think if we were all trying to scrape a living from gigging, then we'd put up with an awful lot of crap for a paying gig.
[/quote]
This makes a lot of sense to me. That's why I have a day job (that thankfully I enjoy and is flexible enough to allow me to gig whenever I want) so I can choose not to play grotty bar gigs week in week out and why I don't have to tolerate the intolerable in the form of moody band mates.

I always have said to myself when there is a problem in a band 'how do we fix this?'
Sometimes the only way is to remove the problem and get someone new.

I like the idea of listening back to a rehearsal.
If the problem player listens to it back and still thinks he is wonderful, then you need a quick band meeting without him there.
Good luck.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455740068' post='2982046']
My job in my band is to play the best bass lines that compliment the songs we play, sing background vocals and maintain a certain level of stage presence.

I was not hired to critique or correct other members playing ability.

As long as our calender is filled with good gigs I keep quiet.

Blue
[/quote]

But if something is sounding wrong and it's buggering your head up, you can at least try to resolve it.
As sure as eggs is eggs, it will sound wrong out front too.
That's when re-bookings don't happen.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455740068' post='2982046']
I was not hired to critique or correct other members playing ability.
As long as our calender is filled with good gigs I keep quiet.
[/quote]
I would not be remotely interested in being in a band where I felt I had to keep my gob shut, especially if a bandmate's playing/behaviour was causing discord.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1455791573' post='2982410']
once saw a programme about bands breaking up and one guy said something like "the reason bands break up is because nobody ever says what's really pissing them off early enough and it just festers till there's a big argument and it results in a break up" in my limited experience that is true, so I resolved to tell people as politely as possible when something is annoying me with my new band, it's worked so far
[/quote]

Thanks for all the advice guys. Given the nature of the beast I reckon this might be the approach to try, and ultimately if we can't have a civilised conversation then it will end badly. The band is there for fun, and I'm not really feeling any at the moment.

We had an absolutely appalling rehearsal last night in the run up to a gig, I think everyone was poor and maybe the problem is now affecting more than just me. I would say I'm friends with the rest of the band.

He was the last one in, and I'm not sure he has really gelled with any of us. He doesn't stick around much after rehearsals and keeps himself to himself during breaks so its difficult to understand how I would form a relationship with him. Worse still I'm not sure I want to.

I agree its a bit of a problem not having a leader. If it was my choice he'd be gone already. The alternative is speak to the rest of the guys and see if we agree to sack him. I really do not want to threaten him or me. I suspect if I give the choice then I'd be on firmer ground, but I'm not sure I want to put the others through that without trying something else first.

I gig for a living and I certainly don't feel it's another form of rut. Saturdays and some Fridays are my bigger earning nights doing functions, the rest of my gigs are generally pub/bar work. Like Blue, I love what I do. I may not be a rich man but I'm happy in my work. I approach my gigs with the attitude that I'm going to play to my best ability and put on a good show, like most of the musicians around me. And after all these years I still get excited getting ready to leave the house for a gig. I don't have time for half-arsed performances and attitudes. I do take my work seriously and yes, it's still a job, but it beats doing 40+ hours a week in an office or warehouse. I know this because I've done both. I have the best job in the world and long may it continue.
[/quote]
This is how I approach gigs. Otherwise why bother?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1455801934' post='2982552']
Pun intended?
[/quote]
Jimmy Carr was on the telly the other night, I don't like him but I watched him tell 10 jokes to see if any of them would make me laugh. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1455776798' post='2982274']

That could either mean you are quietly not enjoying the other players around you but biting your lip because the gigs mean more to you than the hassle of changing your situation , or that you are lucky and play in a band that you are very happy with the dynamics , both personality and musically

The Op isn't enjoying is band and is wanting to do something about it
[/quote]

That's why it's important to truly understand what your looking for.And what type of band fits what your looking for before you committ.

Blue

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455790941' post='2982402']

So you may think, but In reality you answer to the bar owners (and the band) and you have to play the same old songs for a living. If you really love it then that's great, but it's just another form of rut.
[/quote]

Then why do I feel better than I ever have in the Last 30 years.

It's no rut, I feel like I'm in heaven. And we never play the same old songs.

Seems like bass chat members have a real narrow definition of cover bands.

Maybe it's different In England.

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

Ratman, my experience doing this for a living pretty much mirrors your situation and how I approach gigging.

Cool post.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455816387' post='2982716']

Then why do I feel better than I ever have in the Last 30 years.

It's no rut, I feel like I'm in heaven. And we never play the same old songs.

Seems like bass chat members have a real narrow definition of cover bands.

By the way, I use to be so embarrassed when someone would ask me what I did for a living and had to say "I'm a Workers Compensation Claims Analyst for an insurance company. Now I say, "I play bass guitar and sing in a rock & roll band." I'm proud that I can do this for a living, You should see the looks on people's faces when I say that.

Blue
[/quote]

Ok blue we get it, you do it for a living. Good on you. Most of us don't and it's a bit different for us. When one does this as a hobby, i.e. for the fun of it, one is rather less inclined to just put up and shut up as long as there are plenty of gigs in the calendar.

A question to those who consider this to be their job.....

A thread popped up a few weeks ago about "what constitutes being pro"..... Lots of different views there...ranging from ability to payment in general.... Not sure I agreed with a few but some interesting concepts...

I guess "earning a living" is a loose concept for some as there is living hand to mouth for those who need little to get by and then there are those actively seeking commercial renumeration for services as a musician....profitable business that does more than just wash its face...an income comparable to your average "job" let's say for example £23k a year average.....
I know when I used to play "professionally" ,it being my profession, my single source of income With turn turnover, overheads and profit, and sadley ....taxes! I was self employed and had to treat it in the same way a sole trading plumber or electrician would.....

I'm not suggesting it's not the case for anyone here but I did wonder what "earning a living" looked like to others?

My question is, assuming your income from playing is of an amount you could expect to live independently off, as per the example average income £23k p/a, if this is your "job" is your band registered as a business with you as an employee ? or are you registered individually as a sole trader, do you declare earnings and pay tax on your earnings?

I did...had to..... To me, that's earning a living from it.......

Just my view, others are available ;)

And yes...these days I have a less exciting job like most and play music for my own entertainment and joy.... It's much better this way as I play what I like, not what I'm paid to :)

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455816387' post='2982716']
Blue
[/quote]
I think it possibly is. There is a bit of a snobbish attitude to covers/function/tribute bands though i don't know why really. The hypocrisy, though, is that the majority of original bands are pretty awful. This is why they play free gigs, festivals and band bashes. An awful covers/function band won't last long cos the bookings won't happen but you can keep playing rubbish original tunes for a long time as no one is actually paying anything for it.

That's quite a hypocritical view.......

To be fair, both covers/function bands and original material bands have some very good, some very bad and certainly some very ugly representation.
Covers/ function bands of quality will find regular well paid work. Covers/function bands of less substance will struggle and likely pick up the bottom end of the pay spectrum.
Original material bands will always struggle, firstly to find suitable venues, receptive audience and finally pay.

Doing it for fun makes little difference on most counts....

There is an element of snobbery for sure, but usually by those who have very narrow misguided opinions.

I've seen covers bands that have blown me away and ones that are just dreadful. I've seen original writers who are painfully poor and others that are just outstanding.
S'all subjective I guess.....