Why become a member? ×

T arrangement of speakers

gapiro

Yo
Bit of an odd one
I have 2 of 2x10 speakers (as per my sig)
I was wondering if there is any reason why it would be a bad idea to arrange them in an "inverted T" arrangement - Ie one horizontal on the floor (well, on my home made gramma pad) then putting the other one vertically on top of that.
Would this cause some weird phase issues or anything?

MY idea is that I get the height for monitoring, and then I get the better dispersion accross the room with the horizontal one.

Edited by gapiro

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1455610092' post='2980562']
Vertical is actually better for dispertion in the room.
[/quote]+1. Intuition says that horizontal drivers will give wider dispersion, but the opposite is true. Where the behavior of sound waves is concerned intuition is usually wrong. That's why acoustical engineers aren't born, they're made, through education.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1455629566' post='2980839']
+1. Intuition says that horizontal drivers will give wider dispersion, but the opposite is true. Where the behavior of sound waves is concerned intuition is usually wrong. That's why acoustical engineers aren't born, they're made, through education.
[/quote]

There's a guy on another forum who claims he can hear the difference in his hifi depending on whether the IEC power cable is straight or curved.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1455649490' post='2981166']
There's a guy on another forum who claims he can hear the difference in his hifi depending on whether the IEC power cable is straight or curved.
[/quote]No doubt. The things some people will believe defies explanation or logic. Donald Trump as President, for instance. :gas:

[/quote]

It's because the electrickery has to slow down to make it round the corners. With a straight cable it arrives at full speed.

[/quote]

Lol!
The thing is even if the curve made a slight difference to the power which it won't (As we know). Then how would that even slight change actually effect the sound anyhow? It wouldn't.
If the power was somehow changed in voltage, current or frequency by a curve it would be more likely just to blow the amp after a time.
Some people!

[/quote] My brother has the same psychiatrist as him and I believe the same medication.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1455745146' post='2982128']
Don't joke Bill, that is too frightening to joke about.
[/quote]I believe that Trump will get the Republican nomination, but that he won't win the election. On the whole Americans aren't that stupid. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time we elected the village idiot, and we've managed to survive it.

Unfortunately a lot of people around the world didn't get to survive the legacy of that particular idiot.

And Americans can be that stupid. They didn't learn anything the first time around and voted him in for a second term.

That was unforgivable.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1455756295' post='2982245']
Unfortunately a lot of people around the world didn't get to survive the legacy of that particular idiot.

And Americans can be that stupid. They didn't learn anything the first time around and voted him in for a second term.

That was unforgivable.
[/quote]How long did Tony Blair serve as PM? There's plenty of blame to go around for that cock up.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1455764515' post='2982263']
How long did Tony Blair serve as PM? There's plenty of blame to go around for that cock up.
[/quote]

Exactly. Blame for putting the wrong people at the top is a global issue and not just confined to Bush and (but hopefully not) Trump.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1455629566' post='2980839']
+1. Intuition says that horizontal drivers will give wider dispersion, but the opposite is true. Where the behavior of sound waves is concerned intuition is usually wrong. That's why acoustical engineers aren't born, they're made, through education.
[/quote]
I'm intrigued as to why, I can't find anything using the good ol google
[/quote]
I can think of a tiny stupid reason - is it you have a right angled jack for the kettle lead then it is nearer the speaker for all of a few inches...... maybe a tiny bit more 50hz hum? Surely nothing noticable though.