Why become a member? ×

The Bass Player's Lexicon

Billy Apple

Heft:

The torque of an amp. It is generally accepted that large transformer valve amps posses the greatest heft, although the word is more often used in relation to class D's. Underlying power as opposed to volume
'Can't believe the heft of my new Satsuma 3000, if it wasn't for the fact that it weights 8oz I'd be convinced it could pull a trailer up Knack-Barrow Hill like my old USA SVT did.

Punch:

The ability for a bass to be felt or 'cut through the mix' like a kick in the guts all the way to the back of the hall.
'Since I've got my new Gramma Pad my Selmer Flap-O-Rama cuts like an NVT 610. You wouldn't think it's Croxley 12 would have that amount of punch.'

Tone;

That to which we all aspire.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1455119342' post='2976128']
Entwistling:

The act becoming a famous and well respected bass playing despite sounding like the above ^^^
[/quote]

Hard to argue with that. His Calpol consumption was through the roof.

Fender Copy.

A derogatory term used widely in the 70s and 80s for knockoffs of Fender body shapes/pickup configurations, that is no longer in common use despite it applying to around 95% of all basses produced. Manufacturers realised in the early 90s that they could circumvent this obvious truth being applied to their product by making slight variations to headstock shape, then charging at least a grand.

Matsumoku - Legendary Japanese Nirvana a bit like the bass and guitar version of the Big Rock Candy Mountain, where every guitar built between 1965 and 1999 were done so to legendary standards, by just three master craftsmen, and they were all better than everything else we've ever owned (but we sold them all years ago).

Pocket - when two bassists perform with excellent timing, but one of them does it while also bobbing his head funkily, he is said to be "in the pocket". Conversely, you would describe the other as being "in a tatty handbag" and it is customary to throw medium-sized rodents at him until he wets himself.

S.P.

Rare - production numbers were low because of poor sales due to the item being cheap and nasty and generally crap. Due to the lack of interest in the item first time round the seller means to convince you that this is a good thing and you should pay a premium.

Rare colour - something that looked a good idea on a colour swatch but on a bass looked like a form of human excretion - and thus sold very badly OR

was quite nice but sold badly as it was brought to market just at a time when playing anything other than an instrument in sunburst with a tort scratch plate (or black instrument with a black sp) was frowned upon by most forum commentators as liable to frighten off any prospective employer (be they studio, MD or local semi pro band) AND were released when no one had any money cos the bankers knicked it all ........ 😉😬

Mindless noodling - any bass part composed with more than one note variation per four bars, and definitely when played by an acclaimed genius........ 😀

Headroom - the height available to pass under a road bridge.

Growl - haven't a clue (but I've heard it used to describe at least three entirely different things, one of which applies to Fender Precision basses and which many sound people try to EQ out by using a smiley face EQ setting).

Edited by drTStingray