Why become a member? ×

Smallest Kick Drum?

cheddatom

I've got to play a gig on drums in a few weeks and they don't want a full kit as it'll be too big. I have a cajon, which is fine, but it gives a totally different feel to the whole sound of the band. I think the main chunk of space taken up by a kit is the kick drum. Especially with me being fairly tall, from the back of my stool to the back of the kick drum is probably 6 feet, then there might be a mic stand as well.

So, I thought about one of those wooden "stomp box" things that acoustic guitarists have to keep a beat going. I reckon I could get a decent sound if I plug it straight into the desk with some EQ. That, plus a snare and some hats would be small enough

Are there any other devices which already exist? I don't want to get a separate drum module, trigger pad, and kick pedal, I'm after a cheap and easy solution. I did think a little trigger pad to stick on the bottom of your shoe, and a tiny one sound module to output a kick sample to the PA, would be a great product

The smallest proper kick drum I have ever seen belongs to an ex-Terrortone drummer. The whole kit is tiny and the kick drum is a cut-down 16" floor tom shell fitted with kick-drum hardware. He used it once at a multi-band gig in a venue with a very small stage where he was supplying the kit. It was most amusing to watch the drummer from a metal band earlier on the bill struggle to use his double bass drum pedal with it...

With a bit of EQ you can use you cajon as a kick drum. Velcro the pedal and base of the cajon to a piece of carpet so it won't slip.
My drummer does a lot of acoustic gigs doing this, it sounds impressively good. ;)

Just remember to add a bit of foam to your pedal to get rid of some of the "click" when it hits the cajon.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1454415714' post='2969464']
If its going to be through a pa you could use a Roland kick and brain but with a full kit around it? I know a busy dep drummer near me that does it and it saves a lot of room in your typical Irish bar sort of gig.
[/quote]
Yes, that's an option. I don't currently own any electronic drums, so to buy a kick and a brain (I assume I could use my normal pedal with these) is a bit much for a one off gig. I was hoping for a cheapo all-on-one solution but I can't find anything on google

One year for christmas someone gave me a pad, about the same size as a mouse mat, and it had several pads, each of the triggering a drum sound. Most of the sounds were rubbish, but the kick drum would have been usable. If I could take the electronics out of this, wire the output to a jack and stick the kick drum trigger to my shoe or a wood block, that'd be perfect. However, I lost the damn thing

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1454415906' post='2969467']
With a bit of EQ you can use you cajon as a kick drum. Velcro the pedal and base of the cajon to a piece of carpet so it won't slip.
My drummer does a lot of acoustic gigs doing this, it sounds impressively good. ;)

Just remember to add a bit of foam to your pedal to get rid of some of the "click" when it hits the cajon.
[/quote]

I tried the backwards kick pedal and I really couldn't work it. I'd need days of practise to do this. You can get special pedals with a reverse linkage to use with a cajon, but again it's a bit more than I want to spent for one gig

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1454416108' post='2969473']
I tried the backwards kick pedal and I really couldn't work it. I'd need days of practise to do this. You can get special pedals with a reverse linkage to use with a cajon, but again it's a bit more than I want to spent for one gig
[/quote]

He uses a normal pedal, like the one in his drum kit. He covers the "head" of the pedal with some heavy duty foam and gaffa tape! :P

Here's a video of him using it:
https://youtu.be/t7ygkY0LyDY

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1454416474' post='2969481']
He uses a normal pedal, like the one in his drum kit. He covers the "head" of the pedal with some heavy duty foam and gaffa tape! :P

Here's a video of him using it:
[url="https://youtu.be/t7ygkY0LyDY"]https://youtu.be/t7ygkY0LyDY[/url]
[/quote]

Ahh, sorry, I see what you mean now. I suppose that would work. If I did that I don't think it'd be much smaller than a kick drum, in terms of how much else you can fit on stage, but I guess if I leave my ride and floor tom at home it'd be a damn small kit.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1454412966' post='2969427']...I'm after a cheap and easy solution...
[/quote]

Here you go ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX6S6D657g8[/media]

Long ago, I split the batter head with no spare, and had to play with a square foot of plywood nailed to each side of the split head. It was the first time I'd ever played with a mic on the bass drum. Suitably eq'd it was fine for the whole night, although it sounded better for the more disco-type numbers. I've also had a very convincing reggae bass drum using a giant ladybird toy/pillow stuffed into a plastic bucket, beat with a wooden spoon. Think 'out of the box' and the sky's the limit. Eq is your saviour, here.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

For a 'one off' gig, I doubt that any expense more than 'scrap box' would be worth it. It's fun, too (for some folks, anyway...) to mess around with a few odd experiments, and one can come up with all sorts of surprising results that way. I'd gig a mic in a marge tub with no qualms, and smile to myself when breaking down the kit afterwards. I doubt anyone would even notice, if the tub was 'gaffered' black. B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454438835' post='2969781']
There's these, too, of course ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McCabe-Stompbox-Stomp-Box-Foot-Drum-Stomper-Walnut-/252272830024?hash=item3abca1e648:g:xNAAAOSw-zxWo9u-"]Wooden Stomp Box ...[/url]
[/quote]

Is that a wooden box with a pickup in it? Thats actually quite cleaver.