Why become a member? ×

Do I get rid of the 4 strings?

fretmeister

I have four 4 string basses and I like playing them, but I'd never go out without a 5 string, especially if I don't know what I'm going to be playing until I get there.

I can't help thinking they are just sitting there wasting space most of the time.

Any of you 5 stringers get rid of your 4 strings completely?

I tried the 5-string experiment and it didn't work for me, so I'm back to fours. However... when I was playing a five I found it very difficult to play fours at the same time, so had the experiment been a success I would have kept the five and moved the fours on. Because once I had made the decision to be a five-string player, that would have been it.

Yes, when I decided I was happy playing a 5 string I immediately sold the 4 string so that I could really get used to it. I can use a five string for every band/gig situation so there seemed no point to keep a bass I wasn't playing around.

I tend to be quite ruthless, if it doesn't get played or used I sell it. That is my attitude to everything though, not just gear. I had a NS upright, and 4 basses at one point and it didn't make me any happier than just having one solid bass and a backup for emergencies at gigs.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1454166923' post='2967155']

This. I have owned a 5-er for over 2 years but only had 1 gig where the 5 was the clear choice.
[/quote]

I usually get piano scores - almost everything goes lower than E, and sometimes playing the octave ruins the feel of that part of the piece.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1454162816' post='2967094']
OK then..I'll take them if you don't want them... ;) ;)

Not a sellers market at the moment so unless you really need the cash I'd be inclined to hold on to them for a while..
[/quote]

There is that. Used prices are awful at the moment.